cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 49
JTAndrews.
11004 Views, 48 Replies

Windows 7

I am a long devoted fan of QuickCAD.  It does everything that I need, and I am not interested in 'upgrading' unless it is necessary.  It's not the cost.  I just don't want to learn another package.

I recently purchased a new PC with Windows 7 for an operating system.  When I went to install QuickCAD I found that I could not install it.  I believe that this is probably a Wondpows 7 compatibility issue.

Is QuickCAD compatible with Windows 7?  If so, what are the tricks to a sucsessful install?

Thanks.

JT

48 REPLIES 48
Message 2 of 49
pendean
in reply to: JTAndrews.

Explore Microsoft's website on how to run old programs in Win7, especially the feature about WinXP Mode.

Message 3 of 49
ahope

I explored windows website and I couldn't get quickcad installed. Did you have any success installing the program?

Thanks andy

Message 4 of 49
JTAndrews.

I've given up...

QuickCad is NOT compatible with Windows 7.  It is possible to run Windows 7 in XP Compatibility Mode.  When I tried to do this I received a message stating that my version of Windows 7 did not have XP Compatability Mode.  An upgrade to a version of Windows 7 that has this feature costs an additional $200.  I just can't bring myself to spend $200 to run a program that I paid $60 for 11 years ago!

I tried the trial version of AutoSketch, and I found it nowhere near as useful as QuickCad.

So I've come to the conclusion that I've been spoiled by QuickCad's abilities, and I will never be happy with another low-end CAD program.  I will do everything to be sure that I have an XP machine working so I can use the software that I like so much.  In short, Autodesk made QuickCad too good for their own needs.

This is just another disappoinment of computers as tools.  My grandfather's screwdrivers and wrenches still work in today's world, and they are at least 70 years old.  Software can't last more than a few years without becoming obsolete.

If you find another low-priced CAD program that equals QuickCad's features and runs in Windows 7, please let me know.

Good Luck!

JT

Message 5 of 49
ahope

Thanks JT I'm having the same problem. I never tried  AutoSketch. Will this program let  me open and modify my old QuickCad  sketches? Where did you find the trial version? I'm glad I didn't throw my old computer out I think I'll set it up and use it just for QC.

Thank you

Andy

Message 6 of 49
jester1

I've enjoyed QuickCAD for years and now its time to "update" my OS to Windows 7.  However I'm told QuickCAD won't run under Windows 7 unless you can run it under the XP virtual mode.  Has anyone tried this and made it work?

Next choice would be to buy AutoSketch.  However I'm told AutoSketch won't run under Windows 7 ?

Futher choice might be to buy AutoCad, but I'm told AutoCad won't open allow me to open and modify saved

files under QuickCAD? 

So what is one to do?

Message 7 of 49
JTAndrews.

I'm still at a standstill.  My particular Windows7 license does not include XP Compatibility Mode.  It will cost me $200 to 'upgrade' my operating system to use an old operatiing system to run a program that I paid $60 for ten years ago.  The absurdity of the process has prevented me from doing this.

I have tried Autosketch, and I don't find it a suitable replacement for QuickCad.  I find the user interface is not as good, and it lacks some of the features of QuickCad.  These are my feelings.  Your results could be different.

For now, I am going to keep an XP desktop system working as long as I can...

JT

Message 8 of 49
laurie2

I'm in the same position JT. I bought a new laptop with W7 X64 and cannot install quickcad no matter what I try.

I bought Turbocad 17 2d as it was cheap and runs on W7 X64 but it is not as good as quickcad and harder to learn.

I want to continue to use quickcad especially as I have many hundreds of .cad drawings and dont want to convert all of them to pdfs ( I also have drawn extensive user symbol libraries in quickcad)  I also want to use old drawings to modify into new drawings. At the moment I am using my old Vista X32 laptop to do cad and the new one for everything else. This is also awkward. The next step is to upgrade my windows from premium to ultimate and try XP mode. I cannot find out if this will work before shelling out the $200 upgrade. I have already spent $80 on turbocad and am not satisified with it.

if someone knows if quickcad will install and work in W7 X64 in XP compataibility mode or has tried it please let us know. 

LA

Message 9 of 49
laurie2

I have finally got Quickcad working under W7 X64. The problem is W7 X64 will not run 16 bit installation files.

I coppied the Quickcad folder from Program Files on my Vista laptop to a USB memory stick and put it on my win 7 laptop

in a new folder I named Programs run. You can put it straight onto your hard drive in c or d or e drives if you wish. My toshiba laptop hdd  is partitioned and the 2nd drive is mapped to e this is the drive I used. The first time I opened quickcad.exe I got a box asking who do you want to run this program. I typed my user name I had in the program on my Quickcad licence and it WORKS!

The symbols box is blank and you need to open your symbols from it. My personal symbol libtarys are under >my documents< so they get backed up, and were on my new computer when I coppied my documents over from the old one.

Everything in Quickcad works (my version is V6.0 millenium edition) and I can access and modify all my old Quickcad drawings now under Windows 7 64bit

Message 10 of 49
JTAndrews.
in reply to: laurie2

I followed you steps, and it works! 

There are a couple issues that would be nice to resolve.  Perhaps you can help.  QuickCAD doesn't come up in the list of programs when I use the Start button, and it seems the drawing files won't automaticallyt launch QuickCAD when I select one from a list.  I put a shortcut on my Desktop, and it will launch QuickCAD. 

Everytime I launch QuickCAD I get an error message stating "Failed to update the system registry.  Please try REGEDIT.'  I'm betting that resolving this will also resolve the other problems.  I'm an idiot when it comes to the deeper levels of Windows.  So I'm not likely to resolve this on my own.  Can you lend some guidance in resolving this system registry trouble for me?

I am very grateful the information you have provided thus far.  You have managed to get my favorite drawing program to work on my notebook.  Despite the couple issues, I can still make this work for what I need.

Thank you so much!

JT

Message 11 of 49
laurie2

Hi JT

I never use the start menu I always launch programs from the desktop. However if you have a shortcut on the desktop you can drag it to the start menu. (you may have to choose pin to start menu) or you may be able to right click the shortcut and choose pin to start menu.

My computer runs quickcad when I double click on a .cad file and then opens the file.

I assume you have right clicked a .cad file and opened properties and set quickcad as the associated program to open .cad files, if not try this first

I checked regedit > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software on my computer and there are entries under autodesk

When I copied a shortcut to the desktop, the first time I double clicked on it, I got a box up asking for my user name. I typed in my user name (Laurie) this is the same name that I had regestered in quickcad. I assume this is when quickcad put the entries into my registry

If you go to menu help>about quickcad in quickcad you will see the your version number and the name your copy is registered to (this is information you entered when you originally installed it on your old computer.

I suggest you delete the quickcad folder you copied to your computer and recopy it and see if you get the entry box the first time you run quickcad.

You can check your registery by going to the start menu and in the search program and files box type >regedit< (without the arrows) then go to 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software and check if there is a autodesk\qiickcad folder.

Dont edit the registery without knowing what you are doing as it can affect the operation of your computer.

Hope this helps let me know the result.

Laurie

Message 12 of 49
JTAndrews.

Well it's been awhile since your post, and I'm finally getting around to trying the suggestions from that post.  In the interim I have installed a new desktop PC to my home network, and I deleted the oldest machine.  During this exchange I lucked into an inexpensive upgrade.  So I upgraded the OS on all three PCs to Win7 Pro, and all the PCs are sharing files and devices better than ever.  I thought this would solve my problem as I would be able to use XP Compatibility Mode to install QuickCAD.  Then I found out that my hardware (at least on my notebook) is not able to run XP Compatibility Mode.  So I am back to your solution.

I have copied the files back onto my notebook and entered the identical user name that is on the help screen.  I've pinned the shortcut to the Start Bar and the Desktop, and I've got my symbols libraries all working.  I updated all my CAD files to open with QuickCAD, and everyhting seems to be working fine.

The only excpetion remaining is the error message that I get every time I open QuickCAD.  The message reads 'Failed to update registry. Please try using REGEDIT.'  As you suggested, I went into REGEDIT to see if there was a QuickCAD folder.  There was not.  What should I do now?  I can't imagine it's as simple as just creating the folder.  There must be some specific information that needs to be in that folder.

Your help has gotten me this far, and I appreciate it greatly. 

Thanks.

JT

Message 13 of 49
JTAndrews.

CORRECTION

There are entries under Autodesk- a lot of entries.  It seems the top entry in every folder (named 'Default') has'Value not set'.  I assume this is my problem.  Can you tell me what your registry has for this?

I can try entering random (and reasonable) entries, but I think I can be better served if I knew what works.

Thanks.
JT

Message 14 of 49
laurie2

Hi JT

Attatched is a snapshot of my Quickcad registry. Note mine also has default value not set. When I first copied quickcad to my win7 laptop my registry didnt have all of these entries, only a few, quickcad seems to be creating them as I use the software. Your error message is Failed to update registry

Note the pathway (my quickcad version is 6.0). if your pathway is Autodesk and not Autodesk\quickcad maybe you need to creat a simillar pathway in regedit. If this dosen't work you'll probably just have to live with it.

Message 15 of 49
j3r4c45

Quick cad was not engineered by autodesk. They bought out the original engineers and by now everyone knows why. Autocad costs thousands more than Quick Cad and designed for engineering departments with the need of complete designing programs. We the people who don't have $20 million projects make up more than 50% of designers utilizing a great program like Quick Cad. It's not an OS or a Bit issue, Autodesk could very easily convert the old to the new and work themselves out of millions. Remember you bought the program with EULA and the only people that can change things is Autodesk. I run Quik Cad with my four Dell D610s 2.13 Ghz with Windows XP Pro that's faster than a walmart 3.2 Ghz anything with Windows 7. I design utility trailers, go carts, BBQ pits, convert utility to tailgates, and anything and everything that makes me happy to have Quik Cad. My fellow quik cadders don't give up or alter a great program, keep your old laps that worships you by accepting Quick Cad. Use the W7 machine to play bodacious games.

Message 16 of 49
JTAndrews.

I appreciate your zeal, but you don't need to give up on new PCs.  Thanks to the help provided in this thread, I now have QuickCad running on three Win7 machines.

Message 17 of 49
laurie2

Hi  JTAndrews check the capture jpg I posted in message 12, I also have >value not set< at the top of every folder

here is some advice I recieved to resolve that problem with some other industrial software that wouldn't run under W7:

Manual installation:
after copying all of the files from the  Support directory to your installation directory manual register the .ocx files with the following command:

regsvr32.exe <ocx-name>.ocx

You should find regsvr32.exe   in the c:\Windows\System32 folder

Hi j3r4c45

Quickcad sure is a great cad program. I have been using it since V3 (dos version running under Windows 3) I am currently using V6 millenium edition.

chechout message 9 on page 1 of this thread, it explains how I got Quickcad running under W7 X64, I have been using it on W7 for 3 months now runs great and everything works fine.

Message 18 of 49
bmiller025

I was so glad to find this thread. Just got a new Win7 notebook, and have had a terrible time trying to get Quickcad to install. I copied the directory from my old XP machine to the new one, and when I click on the Quickcad.exe file, I get an error message that states the program cannot start, because the file acge15.dll is missing. Any ideas what I can do? I haven't been able to find an instance of that dll file on my XP machine.

Message 19 of 49
Dovetails

I too am in the possition of wanting to get a new desktop pc with Windows 7, but I HAVE to be able to keep my QuickCad 7 program!!!!! Smiley Wink    I've copied the procedure Laurie came up with and I could give that a try, but I would really like to do it through Windows Pro (XP Mode).  I'm going to make sure whatever PC I buy will handle the virtual mode.  I've searched the internet many times and can not fine one post where someone is actually running QuickCad 7 via Win 7 Pro XP Mode.  Upgrading from 7 Home Premium to Pro can be done for around 75.00/ 80.00 today, so I can't believe someone out there hasn't done this already. This QuickCad program is easily worth that to me to save.  Well, perhaps I'll have to be the first to give it a try and report back. I was just hoping that someone out there could confirm in fact that it does work with 7 Pro XP.

Message 20 of 49
JTAndrews.
in reply to: Dovetails

Unless you need Win7 Pro for another reason, save your money.  I upgraded to Win7 Pro, and I could still not get QuickCad running.  I followed Laurie2's process, and it is now running flawlessly on my Win7 notebook. 

JT

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report