QuickCAD

Reply
*Norris, Ric
Message 1 of 5 (133 Views)

QuickCAD Compatability

133 Views, 4 Replies
09-30-1999 05:24 AM
Dear AutoDesk,

My very first posting to this newsgroup described my role within the CAD
industry and perhaps some of you may remember.

(To summarise however)....for the past 2 years, I have been running AutoCAD
LT and QuickCAD...in tandem, ie. everything I create in LT requires to be
imported into QuickCAD which is used by approximately sixty (60) individual
staff users around Australia.

When I first started, I was running LT V2 with QuickCAD V4.11 which worked
fine (EXCEPT FOR THAT BLOODY FLOATING POINT ERROR). Then I upgraded LT V2
to LT97 and found that the 2 programs were not compatable except for saving
the LT drawing as an R12 or R13 file which then imported into QuickCAD
relatively successfully, depending on the R version....different results
were obtained but I found better compatabily with R12 files.

Then came along QuickCAD Millennium and I was fortunate enough to obtain a
copy from AutoDesk Australia and I was so happy to find that all my LT97
drawings were fully compatable and when imported into QuickCAD, imported
just beautifully (AND THAT BLOODY FLOATING POINT ERROR WAS GONE FOR GOOD).

However, my joy turned sour when I found that drawings (& symbols)
created/saved in QuickCAD Millennium could not be opened in V4.11.....why
not just upgrade you may ask. Although QuickCAD Millennium retails in
Australia for $75.00....multiply that by 60 (as networking the software is
not available), include furthur training (please remember, our staff is
national)...makes an upgrade quite expensive. Therefore, I have battled the
partnership of LT97 & QuickCAD V4.11 and have not used QuickCAD Millennium
at all.

Yesterday I became the proud owner (I hope) of LT2000 and I knew that if I
wished to import an LT2000 drawing into QuickCAD V4.11, I would need to save
it as an R13 file....something which I told myself I could live
with....temporarily.

One of my initial tests with LT2000 was to import a file into QuickCAD
Millennium....SURPRISE, SURPRISE....!!!!....NOT COMPATABLE...WON'T
WORK....CAN'T READ IT. So therefore, if my company was to upgrade to
QuickCAD Millennium, I would have to ensure I saved the LT drawing as an R14
file before I imported it into QuickCAD.....no better off than LT97/QuickCAD
V4.11.

THIS IS A CIRCUS.....ONE BIG MERRY-GO-ROUND.......WHEN IS YOUR SOFTWARE
GOING TO BECOME COMPLETELY FRIENDLY WITH EACH OTHER...??? At the moment, it
is just one big game of leap frog. The whole process is most frustrating,
particularly when I posted a question a few weeks ago in regard to the
"floating point error" and received no response....a problem which has
caused so much grief and an enormous loss of productivity for me personally
and I daresay, many other users of the software.

Earlier this year, I was invited by AutoDesk Australia to participate in a
"gunslinger", which I did. Readers of this newsgroup are aware there is a
rumour of a "QuickCAD V7" lurking....references have been made in
www.beyond.com .....perhaps that is what I "gunslinged".

Would someone at AutoDesk please advise if there is a new "low end" product
being released...whether it is a QuickCAD or an AutoSketch, or whatever,
that is compatable with the latest range of current middle to upper software
(AutoCAD2000/LT2000) so I can plan a positive direction for my company into
the new century, because at the moment, I can't.

Sincerely

Ric Norris
CAD Manager
Staging Connections
www.stagingconnections.com.au
*Michael
Message 2 of 5 (133 Views)

Re: QuickCAD Compatability

09-30-1999 06:22 PM in reply to: *Norris, Ric
You expect the impossible
Michael Schikora
Cadland+, Inc
Poinciana, FL
*Computing, Resolve
Message 3 of 5 (133 Views)

Re: QuickCAD Compatability

10-01-1999 05:55 AM in reply to: *Norris, Ric
Hello Rick

QuickCAD is cheaper than AutoSketch for a few GOOD REASONS, and one of them
is compatibility. AutoSketch would have been compatible. You probably
spend more money on accounting software and accept all its problems, but
little on productive software like AutoSketch.

Secondly, if I remember right you would have signed a non disclosure
agreement at your meeting with Autodesk earlier this year.

I rest my case.

Paul Jackson
Resolve Computing (Australia)

Ric Norris wrote in message <7svksr$5f611@adesknews2.autodesk.com>...
>Dear AutoDesk,
>
>My very first posting to this newsgroup described my role within the CAD
>industry and perhaps some of you may remember.
>
>(To summarise however)....for the past 2 years, I have been running AutoCAD
>LT and QuickCAD...in tandem, ie. everything I create in LT requires to be
>imported into QuickCAD which is used by approximately sixty (60) individual
>staff users around Australia.
>
>When I first started, I was running LT V2 with QuickCAD V4.11 which worked
>fine (EXCEPT FOR THAT BLOODY FLOATING POINT ERROR). Then I upgraded LT V2
>to LT97 and found that the 2 programs were not compatable except for saving
>the LT drawing as an R12 or R13 file which then imported into QuickCAD
>relatively successfully, depending on the R version....different results
>were obtained but I found better compatabily with R12 files.
>
>Then came along QuickCAD Millennium and I was fortunate enough to obtain a
>copy from AutoDesk Australia and I was so happy to find that all my LT97
>drawings were fully compatable and when imported into QuickCAD, imported
>just beautifully (AND THAT BLOODY FLOATING POINT ERROR WAS GONE FOR GOOD).
>
>However, my joy turned sour when I found that drawings (& symbols)
>created/saved in QuickCAD Millennium could not be opened in V4.11.....why
>not just upgrade you may ask. Although QuickCAD Millennium retails in
>Australia for $75.00....multiply that by 60 (as networking the software is
>not available), include furthur training (please remember, our staff is
>national)...makes an upgrade quite expensive. Therefore, I have battled the
>partnership of LT97 & QuickCAD V4.11 and have not used QuickCAD Millennium
>at all.
>
>Yesterday I became the proud owner (I hope) of LT2000 and I knew that if I
>wished to import an LT2000 drawing into QuickCAD V4.11, I would need to
save
>it as an R13 file....something which I told myself I could live
>with....temporarily.
>
>One of my initial tests with LT2000 was to import a file into QuickCAD
>Millennium....SURPRISE, SURPRISE....!!!!....NOT COMPATABLE...WON'T
>WORK....CAN'T READ IT. So therefore, if my company was to upgrade to
>QuickCAD Millennium, I would have to ensure I saved the LT drawing as an
R14
>file before I imported it into QuickCAD.....no better off than
LT97/QuickCAD
>V4.11.
>
>THIS IS A CIRCUS.....ONE BIG MERRY-GO-ROUND.......WHEN IS YOUR SOFTWARE
>GOING TO BECOME COMPLETELY FRIENDLY WITH EACH OTHER...??? At the moment,
it
>is just one big game of leap frog. The whole process is most frustrating,
>particularly when I posted a question a few weeks ago in regard to the
>"floating point error" and received no response....a problem which has
>caused so much grief and an enormous loss of productivity for me personally
>and I daresay, many other users of the software.
>
>Earlier this year, I was invited by AutoDesk Australia to participate in a
>"gunslinger", which I did. Readers of this newsgroup are aware there is a
>rumour of a "QuickCAD V7" lurking....references have been made in
>www.beyond.com .....perhaps that is what I "gunslinged".
>
>Would someone at AutoDesk please advise if there is a new "low end" product
>being released...whether it is a QuickCAD or an AutoSketch, or whatever,
>that is compatable with the latest range of current middle to upper
software
>(AutoCAD2000/LT2000) so I can plan a positive direction for my company into
>the new century, because at the moment, I can't.
>
>Sincerely
>
>Ric Norris
>CAD Manager
>Staging Connections
>www.stagingconnections.com.au
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
*Smith, Harvey
Message 4 of 5 (133 Views)

Re:

10-01-1999 01:11 PM in reply to: *Norris, Ric
Now, now, Paul. Play nice.

Summer's coming - and keep those encephalitic mosquitoes, will ya.

"Paul Jackson (Resolve Computing)" wrote:
>
> Hello Rick
>
> QuickCAD is cheaper than AutoSketch for a few GOOD REASONS, and one of them
> is compatibility. AutoSketch would have been compatible. You probably
> spend more money on accounting software and accept all its problems, but
> little on productive software like AutoSketch.
>
> Secondly, if I remember right you would have signed a non disclosure
> agreement at your meeting with Autodesk earlier this year.
>
> I rest my case.
>
> Paul Jackson
> Resolve Computing (Australia)
>
> Ric Norris wrote in message <7svksr$5f611@adesknews2.autodesk.com>...
> >Dear AutoDesk,
> >
> >My very first posting to this newsgroup described my role within the CAD
> >industry and perhaps some of you may remember.
> >
> >(To summarise however)....for the past 2 years, I have been running AutoCAD
> >LT and QuickCAD...in tandem, ie. everything I create in LT requires to be
> >imported into QuickCAD which is used by approximately sixty (60) individual
> >staff users around Australia.
> >
> >When I first started, I was running LT V2 with QuickCAD V4.11 which worked
> >fine (EXCEPT FOR THAT BLOODY FLOATING POINT ERROR). Then I upgraded LT V2
> >to LT97 and found that the 2 programs were not compatable except for saving
> >the LT drawing as an R12 or R13 file which then imported into QuickCAD
> >relatively successfully, depending on the R version....different results
> >were obtained but I found better compatabily with R12 files.
> >
> >Then came along QuickCAD Millennium and I was fortunate enough to obtain a
> >copy from AutoDesk Australia and I was so happy to find that all my LT97
> >drawings were fully compatable and when imported into QuickCAD, imported
> >just beautifully (AND THAT BLOODY FLOATING POINT ERROR WAS GONE FOR GOOD).
> >
> >However, my joy turned sour when I found that drawings (& symbols)
> >created/saved in QuickCAD Millennium could not be opened in V4.11.....why
> >not just upgrade you may ask. Although QuickCAD Millennium retails in
> >Australia for $75.00....multiply that by 60 (as networking the software is
> >not available), include furthur training (please remember, our staff is
> >national)...makes an upgrade quite expensive. Therefore, I have battled the
> >partnership of LT97 & QuickCAD V4.11 and have not used QuickCAD Millennium
> >at all.
> >
> >Yesterday I became the proud owner (I hope) of LT2000 and I knew that if I
> >wished to import an LT2000 drawing into QuickCAD V4.11, I would need to
> save
> >it as an R13 file....something which I told myself I could live
> >with....temporarily.
> >
> >One of my initial tests with LT2000 was to import a file into QuickCAD
> >Millennium....SURPRISE, SURPRISE....!!!!....NOT COMPATABLE...WON'T
> >WORK....CAN'T READ IT. So therefore, if my company was to upgrade to
> >QuickCAD Millennium, I would have to ensure I saved the LT drawing as an
> R14
> >file before I imported it into QuickCAD.....no better off than
> LT97/QuickCAD
> >V4.11.
> >
> >THIS IS A CIRCUS.....ONE BIG MERRY-GO-ROUND.......WHEN IS YOUR SOFTWARE
> >GOING TO BECOME COMPLETELY FRIENDLY WITH EACH OTHER...??? At the moment,
> it
> >is just one big game of leap frog. The whole process is most frustrating,
> >particularly when I posted a question a few weeks ago in regard to the
> >"floating point error" and received no response....a problem which has
> >caused so much grief and an enormous loss of productivity for me personally
> >and I daresay, many other users of the software.
> >
> >Earlier this year, I was invited by AutoDesk Australia to participate in a
> >"gunslinger", which I did. Readers of this newsgroup are aware there is a
> >rumour of a "QuickCAD V7" lurking....references have been made in
> >www.beyond.com .....perhaps that is what I "gunslinged".
> >
> >Would someone at AutoDesk please advise if there is a new "low end" product
> >being released...whether it is a QuickCAD or an AutoSketch, or whatever,
> >that is compatable with the latest range of current middle to upper
> software
> >(AutoCAD2000/LT2000) so I can plan a positive direction for my company into
> >the new century, because at the moment, I can't.
> >
> >Sincerely
> >
> >Ric Norris
> >CAD Manager
> >Staging Connections
> >www.stagingconnections.com.au
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >

--
http://www.westnet.com/~harvey/
*Norris, Ric
Message 5 of 5 (133 Views)

Re:

10-01-1999 03:36 PM in reply to: *Norris, Ric
Hi Paul,

Unfortunately, QuickCAD had been chosen prior to my arrival with the
company....we all know that AutoSketch would have been a better choice and
as you say...."AutoSketch would have been compatable".

I rest my case.

Ric Norris.

Paul Jackson (Resolve Computing) wrote in message
news:7t2b3s$dji5@adesknews2.autodesk.com...
> Hello Rick
>
> QuickCAD is cheaper than AutoSketch for a few GOOD REASONS, and one of
them
> is compatibility. AutoSketch would have been compatible. You probably
> spend more money on accounting software and accept all its problems, but
> little on productive software like AutoSketch.
>
> Secondly, if I remember right you would have signed a non disclosure
> agreement at your meeting with Autodesk earlier this year.
>
> I rest my case.
>
> Paul Jackson
> Resolve Computing (Australia)
>
> Ric Norris wrote in message <7svksr$5f611@adesknews2.autodesk.com>...
> >Dear AutoDesk,
> >
> >My very first posting to this newsgroup described my role within the CAD
> >industry and perhaps some of you may remember.
> >
> >(To summarise however)....for the past 2 years, I have been running
AutoCAD
> >LT and QuickCAD...in tandem, ie. everything I create in LT requires to be
> >imported into QuickCAD which is used by approximately sixty (60)
individual
> >staff users around Australia.
> >
> >When I first started, I was running LT V2 with QuickCAD V4.11 which
worked
> >fine (EXCEPT FOR THAT BLOODY FLOATING POINT ERROR). Then I upgraded LT
V2
> >to LT97 and found that the 2 programs were not compatable except for
saving
> >the LT drawing as an R12 or R13 file which then imported into QuickCAD
> >relatively successfully, depending on the R version....different results
> >were obtained but I found better compatabily with R12 files.
> >
> >Then came along QuickCAD Millennium and I was fortunate enough to obtain
a
> >copy from AutoDesk Australia and I was so happy to find that all my LT97
> >drawings were fully compatable and when imported into QuickCAD, imported
> >just beautifully (AND THAT BLOODY FLOATING POINT ERROR WAS GONE FOR
GOOD).
> >
> >However, my joy turned sour when I found that drawings (& symbols)
> >created/saved in QuickCAD Millennium could not be opened in V4.11.....why
> >not just upgrade you may ask. Although QuickCAD Millennium retails in
> >Australia for $75.00....multiply that by 60 (as networking the software
is
> >not available), include furthur training (please remember, our staff is
> >national)...makes an upgrade quite expensive. Therefore, I have battled
the
> >partnership of LT97 & QuickCAD V4.11 and have not used QuickCAD
Millennium
> >at all.
> >
> >Yesterday I became the proud owner (I hope) of LT2000 and I knew that if
I
> >wished to import an LT2000 drawing into QuickCAD V4.11, I would need to
> save
> >it as an R13 file....something which I told myself I could live
> >with....temporarily.
> >
> >One of my initial tests with LT2000 was to import a file into QuickCAD
> >Millennium....SURPRISE, SURPRISE....!!!!....NOT COMPATABLE...WON'T
> >WORK....CAN'T READ IT. So therefore, if my company was to upgrade to
> >QuickCAD Millennium, I would have to ensure I saved the LT drawing as an
> R14
> >file before I imported it into QuickCAD.....no better off than
> LT97/QuickCAD
> >V4.11.
> >
> >THIS IS A CIRCUS.....ONE BIG MERRY-GO-ROUND.......WHEN IS YOUR SOFTWARE
> >GOING TO BECOME COMPLETELY FRIENDLY WITH EACH OTHER...??? At the moment,
> it
> >is just one big game of leap frog. The whole process is most frustrating,
> >particularly when I posted a question a few weeks ago in regard to the
> >"floating point error" and received no response....a problem which has
> >caused so much grief and an enormous loss of productivity for me
personally
> >and I daresay, many other users of the software.
> >
> >Earlier this year, I was invited by AutoDesk Australia to participate in
a
> >"gunslinger", which I did. Readers of this newsgroup are aware there is
a
> >rumour of a "QuickCAD V7" lurking....references have been made in
> >www.beyond.com .....perhaps that is what I "gunslinged".
> >
> >Would someone at AutoDesk please advise if there is a new "low end"
product
> >being released...whether it is a QuickCAD or an AutoSketch, or whatever,
> >that is compatable with the latest range of current middle to upper
> software
> >(AutoCAD2000/LT2000) so I can plan a positive direction for my company
into
> >the new century, because at the moment, I can't.
> >
> >Sincerely
> >
> >Ric Norris
> >CAD Manager
> >Staging Connections
> >www.stagingconnections.com.au
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.