QuickCAD

Reply
*Douglas, Gary
Message 1 of 12 (58 Views)

QC6 - only TT fonts available

58 Views, 11 Replies
03-02-2000 03:49 PM
I can't seem to find the standard CAD type fonts using QC6. Only true type
are available in drop down menu on text editor.

Where / how can make others available?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary Douglas
Gray Interfaces
*Norris, Ric
Message 2 of 12 (58 Views)

Re: QC6 - only TT fonts available

03-03-2000 09:05 PM in reply to: *Douglas, Gary
Hi Gary,

Non TT fonts are listed with the prefix CAD....and range from CAD Block to
CAD Times Roman....almost the same (if not more) as the standard fonts
supplied in AutoCAD/LT.

Are they not there....????.....they should be in a QuickCAD sub directory
called Properties.

Ric Norris.

"Gary Douglas" wrote in message
news:89murd$him23@adesknews2.autodesk.com...
> I can't seem to find the standard CAD type fonts using QC6. Only true
type
> are available in drop down menu on text editor.
>
> Where / how can make others available?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gary Douglas
> Gray Interfaces
*Smith, Harvey
Message 3 of 12 (58 Views)

Re:

03-05-2000 07:39 AM in reply to: *Douglas, Gary
Hey, Ric.

As an added note, in AS R7, all the CAD fonts have been eliminated. Or
at least you can't at present access them. Bummer.

H

Ric Norris wrote:
>
> Hi Gary,
>
> Non TT fonts are listed with the prefix CAD....and range from CAD Block to
> CAD Times Roman....almost the same (if not more) as the standard fonts
> supplied in AutoCAD/LT.
>
> Are they not there....????.....they should be in a QuickCAD sub directory
> called Properties.
>
> Ric Norris.
>
> "Gary Douglas" wrote in message
> news:89murd$him23@adesknews2.autodesk.com...
> > I can't seem to find the standard CAD type fonts using QC6. Only true
> type
> > are available in drop down menu on text editor.
> >
> > Where / how can make others available?
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Gary Douglas
> > Gray Interfaces
*Norris, Ric
Message 4 of 12 (58 Views)

Re:

03-05-2000 01:20 PM in reply to: *Douglas, Gary
Hi Harvey,

They are still there....except the CAD prefix has been removed.

Ric.

"Harvey Smith" wrote in message
news:38C27FA8.6BF874B1@westnet.com...
> Hey, Ric.
>
> As an added note, in AS R7, all the CAD fonts have been eliminated. Or
> at least you can't at present access them. Bummer.
>
> H
>
> Ric Norris wrote:
> >
> > Hi Gary,
> >
> > Non TT fonts are listed with the prefix CAD....and range from CAD Block
to
> > CAD Times Roman....almost the same (if not more) as the standard fonts
> > supplied in AutoCAD/LT.
> >
> > Are they not there....????.....they should be in a QuickCAD sub
directory
> > called Properties.
> >
> > Ric Norris.
> >
> > "Gary Douglas" wrote in message
> > news:89murd$him23@adesknews2.autodesk.com...
> > > I can't seem to find the standard CAD type fonts using QC6. Only true
> > type
> > > are available in drop down menu on text editor.
> > >
> > > Where / how can make others available?
> > >
> > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Gary Douglas
> > > Gray Interfaces
*Smith, Harvey
Message 5 of 12 (58 Views)

Re:

03-05-2000 01:30 PM in reply to: *Douglas, Gary
They may be there, alright. But you can't access them now. Maybe later
perhaps.

Ian responded once on this in a thread a while back. Damned if I can
find it now, though.

H
*Norris, Ric
Message 6 of 12 (58 Views)

Re:

03-06-2000 01:52 AM in reply to: *Douglas, Gary
Standard AutoCAD .SHX (non TT) fonts are as follows:

complex, gdt, gothice, gothicg, gothici, greekc, greeks, isocp, isocp2,
isoct, isoct2, isoct3, italic, italicc, italict, monotxt, romanc, romand,
romans, romant, scriptc, scripts, simplex, syastro, symap, symath, symetro,
symusic and txt.

AutoSketch 7 (& QuickCad 7) list the same fonts with the addition of isocp3
& symbol.

I have posted a font comparison file in CF "AS SHX Fonts". Isocp, isocp2 &
isocp3 are the same....isoct, isoct2 & isoct3 are the same. All other fonts
are totally unique.

If we don't have access to these fonts.....what am I missing here...???!!!

Just for fun, change any font to either symap or symath.

Ric Norris.

"Harvey Smith" wrote in message
news:38C2D20A.33A0341E@westnet.com...
> They may be there, alright. But you can't access them now. Maybe later
> perhaps.
>
> Ian responded once on this in a thread a while back. Damned if I can
> find it now, though.
>
> H
*Smith, Harvey
Message 7 of 12 (58 Views)

Re:

03-06-2000 04:44 AM in reply to: *Douglas, Gary

> If we don't have access to these fonts.....what am I missing here...???!!!

I can only tell you what's available in AS R6: CAD fonts. They aren't
there in AS R7. And there don't seem to be similarities between what
you've shown in your file (pretty nice work, BTW) and the CAD fonts in
AS R6. Different names, too.

As I remember the thread, we noticed at the time that some Drafix file
was present in the Properties folder in R7 but was not accessable by R7.
Ian may have mentioned that it was in process. I just can't find it
right now. If I get real anal, I'll look again today.

This thread probably is best in the AutoSketch newsgroup. Anne may move
it.

H
*Smith, Harvey
Message 8 of 12 (58 Views)

Re:

03-06-2000 05:01 AM in reply to: *Douglas, Gary

> If we don't have access to these fonts.....what am I missing here...???!!!

This is all very strange, Ric.

I found Ian's response from the AutoDesk Newsgroup Search (try
http://searchnews.autodesk.com/search97cgi/s97_cgi). However, when I
went back in the newsgroup I found a discontinuity in the post dates. It
seems fine back to Jan 16 or so. Then it skips 3 months and begins again
at 9/99. Of course the post I was looking for was dated Jan 14, 2000.

Anyway, here's what Ian said at the time:

"The Vector (CAD) fonts are no longer available in AutoSketch 7.
It is not possible to load these fonts into AutoSketch 7, however the
DRAFIX.FON file, which contains these vector fonts, is installed
because
it is used when loading old *.CAD or *.SKF drawings which contains
vector fonts. The Drafix.fon is loaded during import so AutoSketch can
accurately calculate the size of any text entities prior to mapping
their vector font to a True Type font."

If you want some further bidtime reading, use that search function and
input "CAD fonts".

Is this what you're referring to?

H
*Douglas, Gary
Message 9 of 12 (58 Views)

Re:

03-07-2000 08:02 AM in reply to: *Douglas, Gary
Thanks for your input gentlemen.

I see that the fonts are definitely not available for use. I will find a
suitable true type font and use it. Unfortunately, I am not convinced that
my drawing files will not change when saved as a .DWG and opened in acad /
aclt. A vector font would be a little more reassuring.

Does Aclt still support vector fonts? I am looking at the idea of upgrading
to something a little more powerful.

Thanks again,

Gary
Harvey Smith wrote in message
news:38C3AC3C.536C65E8@westnet.com...
>
> > If we don't have access to these fonts.....what am I missing
here...???!!!
>
> This is all very strange, Ric.
>
> I found Ian's response from the AutoDesk Newsgroup Search (try
> http://searchnews.autodesk.com/search97cgi/s97_cgi). However, when I
> went back in the newsgroup I found a discontinuity in the post dates. It
> seems fine back to Jan 16 or so. Then it skips 3 months and begins again
> at 9/99. Of course the post I was looking for was dated Jan 14, 2000.
>
> Anyway, here's what Ian said at the time:
>
> "The Vector (CAD) fonts are no longer available in AutoSketch 7.
> It is not possible to load these fonts into AutoSketch 7, however the
> DRAFIX.FON file, which contains these vector fonts, is installed
> because
> it is used when loading old *.CAD or *.SKF drawings which contains
> vector fonts. The Drafix.fon is loaded during import so AutoSketch can
> accurately calculate the size of any text entities prior to mapping
> their vector font to a True Type font."
>
> If you want some further bidtime reading, use that search function and
> input "CAD fonts".
>
> Is this what you're referring to?
>
> H
*H.Alm
Message 10 of 12 (58 Views)

Re: QC6 - only TT fonts available

03-08-2000 01:09 AM in reply to: *Douglas, Gary
To clear things up (I hope). There are 3 types of fonts which are relevant
to AutoSketch.
CAD-fonts

AS 5.0 and 6.0 shipped with a collection of vectorfonts. This fonts were
named CAD-fonts and is found in the file DRAFIX.FON. As you can see from
the name this fonts were carried over from Drafix 4.11 which is the basis
for AS. This is NOT AutoCAD shx-fonts. In AS 7.0 the DRAFIX.FON file is
still supplied, for compatibility reasons according to AutoDesk, but the
CAD-fonts can’t be used I AS 7.0

SHX-fonts

SHX-fonts are AutoCAD’s original vectorfonts. SHX-font files were shipped
together with Drafix 4.x, AS 5.x, AS 6.x and AS 7.0. The SHX fonts can't be
use in this programs and is only supplied to support the export / import
process from / to dwg and dxf-files.

True type fonts.

Windows native TrueType fonts are supported by Drafix 4.x, AutoSketch and
AutoCAD (lt) 14 and 2000. Use this fonts. (Yes, I know that AutoCAD have an
collection of TrueType bugs)

Håkon

"Gary Douglas" wrote in message
news:89murd$him23@adesknews2.autodesk.com...
> I can't seem to find the standard CAD type fonts using QC6. Only true
type
> are available in drop down menu on text editor.
>
> Where / how can make others available?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gary Douglas
> Gray Interfaces
>
>
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.