QuickCAD

Reply
*Burling, Michael
Message 1 of 13 (30 Views)

dimensioning

30 Views, 12 Replies
10-14-1999 09:08 AM
I have one other problem I haven't been able to figure out.
I can't find a way to widen dimension and extension lines. They print out
too faintly.
Once again, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
*Smith, Harvey
Message 2 of 13 (30 Views)

Re: dimensioning

10-14-1999 11:45 AM in reply to: *Burling, Michael
Hi, Mike.

I'll try again, but you know I use AutoSketch.

The Dimension itself you can change to a bold font by Selecting the dimension,
choosing Format Dimension from the Edit bar, and the Label tab. Or you can Right
click on the Selected dimension and choose Format Dimension from the pop-up
menu.

Dim and ext lines have no separate command for line thickness, as far as I know.
The only way to get to these is to Explode the dimension AFTER you have final
placement, Select all the dim and ext lines (hold the [Shift] ket while
selecting), Right click and choose Entities. In the Width drop-down box you can
choose any of about 5 or 6 line thicknesses. Hopefully one of these will suit
you. I suppose you could change them all to polylines with the Trim Subdivide
command. That way you get infinite line thickness choices from the Edit bar. But
that seems awfully tedious.

Harvey

Michael Burling wrote:
>
> I have one other problem I haven't been able to figure out.
> I can't find a way to widen dimension and extension lines. They print out
> too faintly.
> Once again, your help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Mike

--
*Rafuse, L.
Message 3 of 13 (30 Views)

Re: dimensioning

10-14-1999 02:34 PM in reply to: *Burling, Michael
Michael Burling wrote:

> I have one other problem I haven't been able to figure out.
> I can't find a way to widen dimension and extension lines. They print out
> too faintly.
> Once again, your help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Mike

You could explode all of them then select all lines and increase the width
before plotting.

--
Len Rafuse
Vision Engineering
*Smith, Harvey
Message 4 of 13 (30 Views)

Re:

10-14-1999 02:41 PM in reply to: *Burling, Michael
Hi, Len.

"L. Rafuse" wrote:
>
> Michael Burling wrote:
>
> > I have one other problem I haven't been able to figure out.
> > I can't find a way to widen dimension and extension lines. They print out
> > too faintly.
> > Once again, your help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Mike
>
> You could explode all of them then select all lines and increase the width
> before plotting.
>
> --
> Len Rafuse
> Vision Engineering

It's too bad you can't choose Line Thickness from the Edit bar if you Select
*all* the lines (with the Shift key). You're limited to the five preset
thicknesses in the Entities>General tab.

This would seem to be a useful addition to future revs, no? I'm surprised this
issue hasn't shown up more.

H

--
*Rafuse, L.
Message 5 of 13 (30 Views)

Re:

10-14-1999 03:09 PM in reply to: *Burling, Michael
Anybody who sticks with it finds a work around that is passable. Having the old
Drafix Pro with macros allows me to quickly "thicken" a drawing for plotting.
Without my macros I may have ended up in a different CAD group.

--
Len Rafuse
Vision Engineering

Harvey Smith wrote:

> Hi, Len.
>
> "L. Rafuse" wrote:
> >
> > Michael Burling wrote:
> >
> > > I have one other problem I haven't been able to figure out.
> > > I can't find a way to widen dimension and extension lines. They print out
> > > too faintly.
> > > Once again, your help would be greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Mike
> >
> > You could explode all of them then select all lines and increase the width
> > before plotting.
> >
> > --
> > Len Rafuse
> > Vision Engineering
>
> It's too bad you can't choose Line Thickness from the Edit bar if you Select
> *all* the lines (with the Shift key). You're limited to the five preset
> thicknesses in the Entities>General tab.
>
> This would seem to be a useful addition to future revs, no? I'm surprised this
> issue hasn't shown up more.
>
> H
>
> --
*Smith, Harvey
Message 6 of 13 (30 Views)

Re:

10-14-1999 03:49 PM in reply to: *Burling, Michael
Len.

Something I've been meaning to ask you. How do you get a macro, written for a
different package, to work with your current cad software?

Does this question show my ignorance of what these macros are? You don't have to
answer that one, please.

H

"L. Rafuse" wrote:
>
> Anybody who sticks with it finds a work around that is passable. Having the old
> Drafix Pro with macros allows me to quickly "thicken" a drawing for plotting.
> Without my macros I may have ended up in a different CAD group.
>
> --
> Len Rafuse
> Vision Engineering
>
> Harvey Smith wrote:
>
> > Hi, Len.
> >
> > "L. Rafuse" wrote:
> > >
> > > Michael Burling wrote:
> > >
> > > > I have one other problem I haven't been able to figure out.
> > > > I can't find a way to widen dimension and extension lines. They print out
> > > > too faintly.
> > > > Once again, your help would be greatly appreciated.
> > > >
> > > > Mike
> > >
> > > You could explode all of them then select all lines and increase the width
> > > before plotting.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Len Rafuse
> > > Vision Engineering
> >
> > It's too bad you can't choose Line Thickness from the Edit bar if you Select
> > *all* the lines (with the Shift key). You're limited to the five preset
> > thicknesses in the Entities>General tab.
> >
> > This would seem to be a useful addition to future revs, no? I'm surprised this
> > issue hasn't shown up more.
> >
> > H
> >
> > --

--
http://www.westnet.com/~harvey/
*Jackson, Paul
Message 7 of 13 (30 Views)

Re: dimensioning

10-14-1999 06:19 PM in reply to: *Burling, Michael
Hello Michael

Try reducing the resolution of your printer. I like to use 300DPI.

Paul Jackson

Michael Burling wrote in message <7u4vbu$2b41@adesknews2.autodesk.com>...
>
>I have one other problem I haven't been able to figure out.
>I can't find a way to widen dimension and extension lines. They print out
>too faintly.
>Once again, your help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Mike
>
>
>
*Burling, Michael
Message 8 of 13 (30 Views)

Re:

10-14-1999 10:25 PM in reply to: *Burling, Michael
Hi, Harvey

> The Dimension itself you can change to a bold font by Selecting the
dimension,
> choosing Format Dimension from the Edit bar, and the Label tab. Or you can
Right
> click on the Selected dimension and choose Format Dimension from the
pop-up
> menu.
>

I can get the dimension itself dark enough.

> Dim and ext lines have no separate command for line thickness, as far as I
know.
> The only way to get to these is to Explode the dimension AFTER you have
final
> placement, Select all the dim and ext lines (hold the [Shift] ket while
> selecting), Right click and choose Entities. In the Width drop-down box
you can
> choose any of about 5 or 6 line thicknesses. Hopefully one of these will
suit
> you. I suppose you could change them all to polylines with the Trim
Subdivide
> command. That way you get infinite line thickness choices from the Edit
bar. But
> that seems awfully tedious.

I did as you suggested. After choosing Entities, the "Edit Entities" box
opens, and in the "layer & pen" section, there is a layer, color, style, and
width drop-down box with width options from 1 to 9. None of these will
change anything (monitor or printer)except for the color (thin red or yellow
lines look funny).

Would anyone know if there is a patch for QuickCad v 4.12 to fix this, or if
reinstalling would fix this feature or am I just missing something?
I could be missing one thing. I don't know what you mean by "Explode the
dimension" and I can't find a definition for "Explode."

Also, as Paul Jackson suggested, I already have my printer set at 300 DPI.

Thanks

Mike
*Rafuse, L.
Message 9 of 13 (30 Views)

Re:

10-15-1999 05:49 AM in reply to: *Burling, Michael


 

Harvey Smith wrote:

Len.

Something I've been meaning to ask you. How do you get a macro, written
for a

different package, to work with your current cad software?

Does this question show my ignorance of what these macros are? You don't
have to

answer that one, please.

H

 

 


I save all of my files in the older Drafix format with the CAD extension. 
I can then open the files in Drafix Pro and run the macro there. 
Since AutoSketch 6.0 is based on Drafix the files can go back and forth
fairly seamlessly so long as you avoid certain features.  Of course
I need to avoid most those features anyway to ensure that my files transfer
to my customers.

I unfortunately have not found a way to use the old macros directly
in the new AutoSketch.  My hope is that version 7 will solve this
problem.

--

Len Rafuse

Vision Engineering

 

*Rafuse, L.
Message 10 of 13 (30 Views)

Re:

10-15-1999 05:52 AM in reply to: *Burling, Michael
>
> I could be missing one thing. I don't know what you mean by "Explode the
> dimension" and I can't find a definition for "Explode."
>
>

Explode is listed as "convert to base entities" on older versions. It will turn
the dimension into lines that can then have their thickness increased.

--
Len Rafuse
Vision Engineering
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.