Quantity Takeoff

Valued Contributor sta
Valued Contributor
sta
Message 11 of 18 (1,741 Views)

Re: QTO to Timberline Integration

10-18-2012 09:22 AM in reply to: sta

Anyone have any breakthrough on this? I have been unable to get this integration to work.

Mark.Petrucci
Message 12 of 18 (1,737 Views)

10-18-2012 09:51 AM in reply to: d_galloway
After you extract files to correct folder, start QTO. Import a new catalog, do you see the option to import a Timberline database file or is this option not available?
Valued Contributor sta
Valued Contributor
sta
Message 13 of 18 (1,729 Views)

10-19-2012 06:28 AM in reply to: Mark.Petrucci

The option is still not available after placings the files in the proper folder.

Carolyang
Message 14 of 18 (1,540 Views)

11-29-2012 09:32 AM in reply to: david.heath

I've come across the exact same problem. Do you have any solutions right now? Thank you very much!

Valued Contributor sta
Valued Contributor
sta
Message 15 of 18 (1,534 Views)

11-29-2012 01:36 PM in reply to: d_galloway

Sorry but I have not recieved any answers from Autodesk

Valued Contributor sta
Valued Contributor
sta
Message 16 of 18 (1,324 Views)

02-14-2013 06:27 AM in reply to: sta

BUMP

Autodesk..... Are you there? 

It would be helpful if we could get some feedback and direction. It is very frustrating when one of the huge features of the software is unable to work properly. I think it shows a lot about the rest of the product as a whole lacking. 

kenny.deemer
Message 17 of 18 (816 Views)

08-26-2013 09:49 AM in reply to: sta

So I got this thing to work for QTO 2013 after much of the same frustrations as above. Here is what I did:

Pasted the above .dll's in the plugins folder. For the Timberline.dll

right clicked, select properties, in the properties window go to the security tab. (In my case I had three security groups or names, one of which was "Users" I noticed this group did not have full control.) To change this select edit and check full control in the appropiate box, select apply.

Now select the general tab.

At the very bottom under attributes there may be a button that says "unblock" select this and hit apply and OK to exit.

Do this same procedure to the Interop>PEDataObj.dll

This worked for me.

QTO 2013 is the last of its species, since "takeoff" has been moved to Navisworks. I've been involved with QTO for a long time and have a love, hate relationship with it. It had so much promise, but so little support.  It just was lokign for the push that never came.  From what I've seen in the Navis version, were back to square 1 or maybe before that.

Hope you get this thing working.

kenny.deemer
Message 18 of 18 (312 Views)

03-26-2014 09:35 AM in reply to: kenny.deemer

So I might have to go back on some of my comments from the post above.  I just revisted Navis 2014,and the quantification features. A lot of the QTO fetures are there, just in different places,or require a different sequence. You can also load 2D DWF documents in  an do a cross-check (this is a bit weird, it doesn't highlight, but erases)

Quirks or at leas I think they are quirky

• Selcting from the moderl tree. You have to dig a level down from from what you think to get quantities to appear
  • Item and Resource Catalog are kind of the same thing. I typically don't build an assembly in my takeoff software.
  • Show hide takeoff button, still not sure if this is good or bad. Works weird with 2d sheets.
  • You can takeoff from 2d sheets, but you get no quantities. maybe I'm doing it wrong or not selecting the right stuff.

Missing things

• I really liked the search takeoff interface in QTO, simple check boxes. Navis has a search to but It looks powerfull, need more research on my part. I thik search sets are the way to go here.
  • 2D sheet takeoff. I think this is coming in 2015. 
  • All in model takeoff. QTO had the do it all at once button some times it was easier to uset this button and delete what you didn't want
  • Zoom to object in a 2D sheet. Maybe Navis does this, but I'm not to strog with the program.
  • Revit shedules still have more power in some instances. I think it's something with shared, type, or instance parameters not coming through.

Things I like

• Drag and drop takeoff, pretty awesome.
  • The item catalog exel sheet.  Nice VBA code work to automate this.  I'll be "borrowing" this for some other special projects.
  • Premade Pivot table reports. I always made pivots of my QTO,or any takeoff, one less step. (i'm seeing a pretty good workflow here to get dat to 3rd party estimates. Linking tables in access, etc.)
  • Search sets for takeoff, I think this is going to be big.
  • Stability, Navis just is more stable, or I perceive it to be.

Overall if it gets developement attention it could be great. 

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.