MotionBuilder Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s MotionBuilder Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular MotionBuilder topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get Data from Relation Constraint box

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
cmot
881 Views, 2 Replies

Get Data from Relation Constraint box

I've got a relation constraint setup that uses scale and offset boxes to drive the animation of a group of scene objects from a separate group of scene objects.

I'm trying to create a gui where a user can change the offset and scale factor values of these boxes without having to dig into the constraint itself, but I can't seem to find a way to get the value stored in these nodes to display to the user.  Writing data to the node is no problem, but there doesn't seem to be any .Data attribute or any GetData()/ReadData() sort of method for retrieving the value shown in the navigator screen.

My current idea of a workaround is to create custom properties on the boxes in the constraint for the values that I need to be able to read.  Then I can read from and write to these custom properties, and, whenever a custom property is written to, push that write along to the actual offset or scale factor node that the custom property represents.  

It seems that this will work, but it's kind of ugly.  Is there any reason these nodes can't be read from? Or is there some way of doing this directly that I haven't found yet?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
reanimathor
in reply to: cmot

Did you try dir function for the box object to check its params and methods?
Message 3 of 3
penthoy
in reply to: reanimathor

I'm desperately trying to look for an answer for this as well, here is my thread:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/motionbuilder-python/how-to-get-animation-node-data/td-p/6332014

And of course I have used dir, I even made a for loop to loop over all the function names output from dir, and tried every single one of them, none seemed to give what I want.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report