Community
3ds Max Programming
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max SDK, Maxscript and Python topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for working Plugin Wizard for 2013 SDK

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
ronronmx
1530 Views, 10 Replies

Looking for working Plugin Wizard for 2013 SDK

Hey guys...

I have been trying to compile a x64bit plugin for max 2013 x64, but even after hours and hours of trial an error - and finally getting the project compiling - the plugin still gives me an error when loading 3ds max.

I am following the July 2012 Webcast Training videos, and in the first one, they mention downloading a fixed version of the Plugin Wizard in the Handouts section, but I haven't been able to find it.

If anyone could give me a link, or better, give me the fixed Plugin Wizard directly, I would love you forever (man why did i say that?!?...)

Thanks in advance guys!

Stephane

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
istan
in reply to: ronronmx

which error is shown, when you load the plug? you sure you link with x64 libs?

Message 3 of 11
ronronmx
in reply to: istan

Well i got the plugin compiling and running, finally 🙂

The problem with the default 2013 wizard is that it doesn't correctly setup all the required libraries and includes. After trying lots of different things, I was able to add the paths to all the files/folders that the compiler needs in Visual Studio, and now that I know exactly what to include and where, it's much easier to setup a new plugin, even with the broken wizzard.

I think I know now how to update the 2013 plugin wizzard so that it setsup VS correctly from the start. But, I would rather get the one created by the author of the training videos, since he knows what's going on a lot better then I do!

Stephane

Message 4 of 11
istan

I normally do not use the wizard at all. In my case just two paths have to be set properly: include and lib - that's all. Ok, when using the max debugversion the lib path is different. The only difference might be that the latest wizard is using property sheets, but I thought VC users should be familiar with them?

Message 5 of 11
ronronmx

I just started writing plugins (i've been enjoying MAXScript for a few years) for MAX so using the plugin wizard makes it easier to get started. I was able to change the default one to work correctly for 2013 so I can now create a new plugin with the wizard and compile & run right away with no extra steps in VS.

And yes you are right, the latest wizard is using property sheets, but the wizard itself isn't setup properly and can't find those property sheets when you create a new project...I had to change some entries in the wizard and tell it to look in the correct location, instead of "..\..\..\..\PropertySheets\..." lol

Message 6 of 11
vcristie001

Hi Stephanie,

I started with same broken wizard like you did, it seems, and did configurations here and there. However, same like you, after finally managed to get it working, seems like there is error when loading the 3dsmax.

Just wanna ask you if the error you get is :

"Debugging information for 3dsmax.exe cannot be found or does not match. Cannot find or open the PDB file"

and if that message is ignored, then upon loading 3dsmax, there will be error loading plug-in dll - failed to initialize. Error code 193 - %1 is not a valid win32 application.

I'm guessing I set some path wrongly somewhere, this is just a new project created by the plugin wizard and I simply run with Hybrid unicode win32, so I'm not sure where does things get set wrongly. 

Here is my project properties:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2013\plugins\

1. Configuration Properties -> Debugging

-> Command C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2013\3dsmax.exe

-> Working Directory = C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2013

2. Configuration Properties -> Linker

-> Output File = C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2013\plugins\testProject.dlu

-> Additional Library Directories =  C:\Program Files %28x86%29\Autodesk\maxsdk\lib;

3. Configuration Properties -> General

-> Additional Include Directories = C:\Program Files %28x86%29\Autodesk\maxsdk\include;%(AdditionalIncludeDirectories)

My SDK is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\maxsdk

My 3dsmax is located in C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2013

I'm using Visual Studio 2010 Professional.

Anyone can help will be greatly appreciated!! 🙂 🙂

(I have posted this qns here as well http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Programming/Can-t-find-debugging-information-for-3dsmax-exe-Plugin-Wiz...)

thanks!!

-verina-

Message 7 of 11
istan
in reply to: vcristie001

IMHO this is self explanatory: "Error code 193 - %1 is not a valid win32 application." If you want to use Max2013x64 then you have to compile x64 code, if you want to use Max2013x32 then you have to compile x32 code.
Message 8 of 11
vcristie001

hi istan,

thanks for your reply but unfortunately when i tried with both win32 or win64, it is not working either 😞

now, even i tried opening some sample projects, this is what happened:

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2013\\plugins\exercise06.dlo'

or try creating another plugin wizard project:

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2013\plugins\myTest.dlu'

what settings should i check in my visual studio? i'm really confused now.

thanks a lot....

Message 9 of 11
istan

If you read this error message "LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file.." what might be the problem? a) does the directory exist at all and does the directory have write access? b) does the file have write protection? - by file properties - currently opened by someone else imho I suggest you rather using MaxScript..
Message 10 of 11
vcristie001

Hi istan,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I am actually now back to square 0 now where the error is cannot find 3dsmax.exe, cannot find symbols or pdb.

unfortunately, i have to use 3dsmax sdk with visual c++, it is part of requirement in the project. 

if i ignore the warning, my 3dsmax will run, but whatever code i typed seems will not get executed as i don't get any results.

i have tried setting my debugging information to download symbol from here also http://symbols.autodesk.com/symbols (not sure if it is needed though).

and my program had taken so long to compile now (half hour and still running)...

For now seems like Symbols loaded (source information stripped) for autodesk related symbols.

but it is still cannot find symbol or pdb file for syswow64 dll files.

i'm running win32 3dsmax on 64bit computer btw, cause when i tried installing 64bit version there is some error.

*it is almost a month now and i can't even start my development *sigh* :'(

perhaps you know any link or tutorial that will help?

i followed the online documentation and the tutorial, none of them mentioned abt this error...

thanks a lot again

Message 11 of 11
vcristie001

hi istan, i managed to debug my program now, using some sample files from the tutorials, will work from there. Thanks a lot for all the help! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report