Community
3ds Max Programming
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max SDK, Maxscript and Python topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a modifier plugin

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
207 Views, 3 Replies

Create a modifier plugin

Hi all,

I need to create a modifier that has to appear in the modifier stack.

Maxscript help file reports : "Scripted Modifier plug-ins can only extend existing Modifier plug-ins". This doesn't allow me to create a new one.
On the other side, Scripted SimpleMod Plug-ins doesn't allow me to change the topology of objects, but I need to delete some vertices in my modifier.

What kind of plugin script should I use for that purpose?

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Stokes
in reply to: Anonymous

It's a kludge, but could you just have a script that adds a standard Edit Mesh modifier and applies the edits you need there? If you change the name of the modifier on the stack (yourModifier.name = "NewName"), you can have a script access that modifier by name (e.g. yourObject.modifiers).
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

David,

You mean that I should use a standard script instead of plugin script? So when do we have to use plugin scripts instead of standard scripts? Is it only usefull when you need to keep procedural parameters in your scene as any modifier does?
Message 4 of 4
Stokes

Honestly, I do not know if my idea is any good; it was just what occurred to me at the moment!

That said, you are correct: my suggestion was to use a standard script instead of a scripted modifier plug-in. I have created several scripted modifiers, but none that affected the object's topology. I only used them to store additional parametric data (as you describe); I've found them easier to use (and update!) than custom attributes.

If you need to store additional data, you could possibly attach custom attributes to the Edit Mesh modifier, attributes that your script would use.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report