Announcements
The Product Design Suite Idea Board will be moved to the Read-Only Archive on on April 30, 2019.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit Properties from the Field

Edit Properties from the Field

I happen to run into this while working in MS Word. In MS Word if you goto File>Info>Properties (drop down)>Show document panel you get a list of document properties similar to iProperties dialog in Inventor or drawing properties dialog in AutoCAD. The cool part is if you Insert>QuickParts(drop down)>Document Property and select a propertie it drops that field into the document. Now if you edit the text it is the same as editing the property. I want similar functionality in all my Autodesk Documents. That way if an end user edits the field text of a document it is the same as editing the property only they don't have to open the property dialog to edit the text.

See the screen shot from MS Word for reference. 

3 Comments
jannaspicer
Alumni
Status changed to: Comments Requested

Hi smoffit,

Thanks for suggesting the idea.  Can you tell me about how you would use this type of capability in your daily work? Do properties come from someone different from the designer/engineer working on the design?  Are you also looking to perform an update of properties on your designs across the products offered in Product Design Suite (AutoCAD, Inventor, etc)?  Is this mainly for drawings, or also for properties on other entities such as parts, assemblies, animations, etc?  

Thanks!

Janna

philip.s
Alumni
Status changed to: Gathering Support

seth.moffit
Enthusiast

I'd add these properties on my AutoCAD and Inventor template documents so the user experience is the typical click on text change information and in syncs up the text feilds with properties. I'd be using this feature across the product design suite, drawings, parts, assemblies. Engineers/Designers would be the majority of users who would input the data. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report