Announcements
The Product Design Suite Idea Board will be moved to the Read-Only Archive on on April 30, 2019.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customise or consolidate

Customise or consolidate

I just reinstalled the infrastructure design suite premium following a fresh install of windows. As I use a SSD as my primary drive I decided to install the programs to my secondary drive, the result was a loss of 14.4 GB from primary and 17.7 GB from secondary drive. Assuming the building design suite will be the same size that's 60GB for drawing software. That is bad enough but I know from previous cleanups of autodesk installs a large portion of that is duplicate content, given the array of programs included in the suites can shared libraries not be utilised more effeiently? Why is 14.4GB of content on a drive where the programs are not installed? Essentially there must be huge potential to streamline the suite to deliver a more joined up approach.

The alternative is to keep having to jump between multiple programs on one machine to get anything done meaning massive CPU and RAM requirements as we have at the moment. The only advantage to this setup is that there should be potential for customised design suites?

For example I do not need visualisation programs yet >50% of the suite is for vis (navis, 3ds, IW...), I do need design software but most of it is either in the ultimate suite or not maintained. I would prefer a suite with; Robot, SSA, C3D, M3D, RA and forget about the rest OR allow me to hire somebody to mess around with all the visual stuff on another PC to see if there is any value in it.

The programs and plugins could  be easily tiered to allow people pay for a set number of apps from each tier this would not only give the client a better product Autodesk might learn what apps are pointless

2 Comments
jannaspicer
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration
Hello O. Maille, This is the Idea Station for Product Design Suite, but I think your point is still valid in this context. We are looking at ways to make the suites more valuable to our customers, and your suggestion is an interesting one. We'll include this in the input for future product and suite planning. Thanks! Janna Spicer, Product Manager for Product Design Suite
Hyncharas
Contributor

Part of the issue isn't really related to Autodesk Suites; it's present with every piece of software installed on Windows OSs.  In a multi-drive configuration, software always expects you to install some files onto the same hard drive as the operating system, because that's how Microsoft designed their interfaces.

I agree, however, that it should be better structured and should be considered across other Autodesk suites.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report