Product Design Suite Ideas
Share ideas for future product features directly with the Product Design Suite team and collaborate on existing suggestions with your peers.
New Idea

Google cardboard VR support

by Enthusiast brotherkennyh on ‎07-20-2016 06:11 AM

Hi,

I demoed a new production facility to a customer recently. It was modelled mostly in Inventor with a little in AutoCAD 3D imported into the inventor model.

I then exported it to Navisworks to give a 1st person walk around of the new facility.

Our customer was blown away by how good a demonstration this was. Still I had no VR capabilities. I want to be able to give these presentations using VR hardware.

I can't see why VR has not been implemented yet as a presentation tool. Using the Oculus rift or HTC Vive is simply not realistic and will take a long time to take off. It may be the premium experience, but it is not likely many companies will be able to invest and use this technology.

If google cardboard were used it would easily be accessed by many users. Most of us have smart phones these days after all.

Navisworks will already run in full screen so all that is missing is for it to render a Side by Side 3D image. No special technology require, just output that to the screen. I can just stream the video to my phone and bingo, instant VR presentation for everyone who has brought their phone with them.

There are already apps that will emulate mouse movement by reading data from the phones sensors, if we could just have our designs render a sbs3D image we would be good to go.

Adding VR support to showcase would also give a mind blowing demo.

It would be very useful if Showcase could recognize the Positional Representation from Inventor.

It would be nice, if you can select the midpoint of a slot, when placing a joint:

Inventor Publisher

by Contributor jamest on ‎10-24-2012 05:10 PM

I am sure this has been brought up countless times before however i would love to see Inventor Publisher included in PDS

James

Thanks for the feedback - we'll add this to the list of requests for a future release.

Hi,

if an AutoCAD file is opend (doesn't matter, if ACAD vanilla, Mechanical, Architecture or whatever) and the user is JUST LOOKING - means the user is zooming and paning around, maybe selecting something to explain his idea to others - by simple zooming and paning the DWG will be saved, the DWG has a dirtyflag (small asterix at filename)!!!!

With data management this is a bad behaviour, especially with Factory Design Suite this is a silly and totally worse behaviour.

Bye

Kay Rethmeier

Product Design Suite Addition

by Mentor on ‎11-27-2012 05:24 PM

I would like Autodesk to seriously consider adding Autocad P&ID to Product Design Suite to round out the package for skid mounted Routed Systems design industries.  Industries such as mine require the use of Inventor Routed Systems, Autocad Electrical AND Autocad P&ID.  Currently Product Design Suite and/or Plant Design Suite only include 2 of the 3.  I think either one or the other suites should include all 3 for a more fully rounded package.  Mentioned this to the Product Manager at AU2012, and putting the ide here was his suggestion... so lets kudo this sucker up and get it rolled into the 2014 packges.  :D

Hi cbenner and tahdesign - Thanks for your feedback! I'd like to move this suggestion to our Product Design Suite IdeaStation, so we can consider the input in context there. Also, would you be willing to have a short phone conversation with me, so I can better understand the kind of applications you're working on? I'll send you a private message with this request as well. Thanks, Janna Janna Spicer Product Manager, PrDS

Show Inventor decals in Showcase

by Advocate ben.gee on ‎02-26-2015 05:29 AM

I made an assembly in Inventor and this assembly had a few decals on some of the parts.

I wanted to open the file up in Showcase, but when I did the decals had disappeared. 

I contacted the support guys about this and I was told that (for some reason) Showcase does not show Inventor borne decals.

I had to recreate the decals in Showcase, which whilst not being difficult, it did get me thinking.... Why are IV decals not supported (if thats the correct word)? Surely, the programs (both being Autodesk) show 'talk' to each other fluently.

Is this being looked into already?

Can't use the touch screen

by Observer Cappuccetto on ‎04-27-2016 03:40 PM

Applications don't support the touch screen. We can use the touch screen only the Autodesk Dynamo. I hope we can use the touch screen in other applications.

I'd love to get a design suite with Mechanical, Inventor, and Revit.....and nothing else. I'm sure others would love to have a design suite packaged around the core software they like to uise too. In the end, this would save companies money by having to overspend on suites - which in turn could be profitible to Autodesk becasue companies would be more likely to increase the number of liscenses they use.

Hi,

I regularly need to render images from large inventor models. I use showcase to do this but sometimes I am waiting hours for it to convert.

Would it be possible to add a progress bar? (or even better an estimated completion time aswell?

One of my models was converting for 14 hours & then failed.

Thanks,

Graham

include sketchbook Pro agaain with Product Design Suite

by Advocate _DanSolo_ on ‎01-18-2015 10:46 AM - last edited on ‎01-18-2015 10:47 AM |

Put Sketchbook Pro back in to Product Design Suite. Smiley Mad

Not sure why it was removed....but I would like it back. The value of Product Design suite was reduced in 2015 when it was taken out.

Position number/balloon from assembly

by Enthusiast b.graaf on ‎10-21-2015 04:50 AM

When making a drawing of a part, many people would like to place a balloon on that drawing with the position number from that part in the assembly, where that part is used.

At the moment, the balloon on a drawing of a part will always show number "1".

I understand the difficulty, because the same part can be used in several assemblies, and most likely, it will not have the same number in each assembly.

As a workaround, some people do place an assembly and make all parts invissible, except the needed part. In this case it will get the assembly-position number.

Perhaps, it would be nice, if you are able to place a balloon on a drawing of a single part and have the possibilty to choose an assembly from which the part number will be extracted and link the balloon to that specific assembly.

Buy a 1.5 Suite

by Enthusiast djovica30 on ‎12-15-2013 04:56 PM

Why don't you sell a 1.5 Suite, where customers can buy a 1.5 Suite and use two suite products simulataneously? i.e. One guy using inventor, one guy using showcase, 3ds Max or sketchbook designer or AutoCAD, etc.. but you can't use two instances of the same product.

Many of my clients want to be able to use a second program in the suite for short term stints like marketing doing visuals or the product development manager using sketchbook, etc. and it's notthe engineer who wants to use it.

Sell it as a SLM or NLM, charge 50% more on the licence and on the subs. It's one 360 account.

If they need another user, (e.g. one uses Inventor, one uses AutoCAD, one uses Sketchbook), then they can pay another 50%, an add-on to the 1.5 and make it a 2.0, 2.5, etc. but if they need two seats of Inventor, they buy two PrDS suites.

That way you're actually getting the suite to do what it was intended to do, growing the pool of licences and integrating it better in the workplace. In its current form its only being used by the designers or engineers who are too busy doing their work and are not utilising the suite to it's full potential. The engineer has enough work on his plate than to also learn 3ds Max when there's a guy in marketing already that knows how to use it.

Clients don't see the value of buying 2 PrDS' when the second user is only using it for Sketchbook or knocking up a quick AutoCAD drawing or doing a minor edit.

Instead of someone buying PrDS and then AutoCAD Electrical becuase they can't afford 2x rPDS-P's, they can buy a PrDS-P 1.5 and have both mech and elec guys working inconjunction and both enjoy the benefits of the suite too.

Hi,

a customer had an idea concerning editing blocks. Most AutoCAD-users are using the Edit Block in place functionality.

Since we have the new interface, the user does not see, if he's editing a block or not. There is a light fade out, but sometimes you will not take notice about. In theo old UI there were a toolbar poping up. Today there is a mostly hidden button on the upper right side, brown on black !?! Only using a 42'' monitor will show you all commands of the block-ediotor.

Past:

Toolbar poping up

Today:

Bad visibility of buttons, especially leaving the block.

IDEA:

idea 1: totally different colour for that button

idea 2: old fashioned toolbar as a pop up

idea 3: "uncompressed" edit reference group

=> something, what a user will see especially on the register "Start", where users are 80% of their time.

Regads

Kay

Dear autodesk team,

I was wondering, why isn't there a sound when you draw using sketchbook?

I don't know any programs that do but isn't the sound of your tool something that gives you great feedback of what you are actually doing?

Maybe nobody ever thought about it because it is so obvious, but maybe thats why i think it would be a great addition.

And even if people don't use it then you still have a great trademark that none that i know have.

Please tell me what you think about it.

In advance,

Ruben

p.s. I couldn't find Sketchbook under your product tab while filling in this form.

Prodcut Design Suite Standard

by Enthusiast brotherkennyh on ‎01-28-2015 05:16 AM

Why is there not a Product Design Suite Standard?

Each company I have worked for have only really made use of Inventor, Vault, AutoCAD and sometimes Showcase.

It would good to have a standard package with only these components.

Certainly the company I currently work for would be considering more licences if we could shed the cost of the programs we do not use. Surely other people are in a similar position?

I know that you can open a new view of a 3D model, so you are able to see different views of the same model at once.

But these are seperate viewports and you have to align them within Inventor, which is even more difficult, if you have opend other parts.

It would be nice if Inventor has the same options to see multiple views of the 3D model.

Some advantages:

- all the views are within the same window, which make it easier to handle

- you can configure the views (number of views)

- you can easily resize the views (by dragging the viewport-lines

- you can easily toggle between multiple views and fullscreen

When creating a deployment make it possible to specify the port@licenseserver on the Network License page of deployment creation instead of just servername. Today if you try to specify port@server in the Server Name field and click Add it returns an error stating “Illegal Server Host Name”. 

Many times after we install Autodesk products we have to follow up with another script that Adds\Modifies the following System Environment Variables which includes the port@server and FlexLM_Timout.  Without these settings the Autodesk product will fail to obtain a license and the resolve license dialog will appear.  Not surprising this problem is particularly prevalent at our more remote sites where several “network hops” are required to talk to our license servers.  However after adding the environment variables the problem is resolved. Rather than running a script after every install, I’d like to include it in the deployment itself. At least the port@server anyway.  Adding FlexLM_Timout would be a bonus.

• ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE = port@server1;port@server2
  • FLEXLM_TIMEOUT = 2000000

Upgrading to the latest version

by Explorer itravers on ‎08-28-2013 01:07 AM

Hi All,

I have being installing upgrades of these product suites for a few years now. The last couple of years, the amount of software that has to get uninstalled before you install the latest version is getting very time consuming. I only have 6 machines to look after and I fit it in around my actual engineering role.

I would find it really useful if on the next version, there were a tick box on the setup menu that said 'automatically uninstall previous version'.

That way I could set it off in the evening, let it run overnight to remove the old software and install the new software, come in in the morning to a rebooted machine ready to go  - all without the need for user interaction. It would be even better if I could configure the template paths as part of the setup, then it really would be ready to go, just link it to the vault and the user is away.

Anyway, it's just a thought. :)

license cascacde down

by Enthusiast brotherkennyh on ‎10-02-2015 01:11 AM

for anyone using network licensing in a mixed product environment I am sure you will have seem this problem.

Cascase licensing works just fine elevating the license to the next highest available that it needs.

What it does not do is cascade back down to the lowest acceptable license.

Consider the scenario.

1. a User opens Inventor and Consumes a Product Design Suite Premium License.

2. This user then uses the stress analysis environment consuming a Product Design Suite Ultimate license.

3. This user spends a couple of hours using this and then continues to use only the Standard Inventor Features requiring only a Product Design Suite Premium license, however they still have a PDSU license.

4. A second user trys to access the PDSU license, but cannot because it is already in use by the first user. Despite not being required by the first user.

It seems to me that the cascading system should aslo detect when a lower acceptable license is available and return to using that license instead.

We have several PDSU, PDSU and AutoCAD licenses. By lunchtime it is often the case that all of the PDSU & PDSP licenses are used and a couple of AutoCAD licenses are spare.

A quick call around all of our CAD staff and I find that the higher licenses are not needed. I usually get the person with the highest licenses(but using AutoCAD) to close their application. This leaves the license free for some one else to use, they can then reopen AutoCAD because there is still an AutoCAD license available.

I know we have a workable solution, but it would be nice to not have to interupt peoples work to free licenses up. 

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

Submit an idea
Idea Guidelines

Please review our Idea guidelines and best practices before posting a new idea, or voting on an existing one!