Announcements
The Product Design Suite Idea Board will be moved to the Read-Only Archive on on April 30, 2019.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google cardboard VR support

Google cardboard VR support

Hi,

I demoed a new production facility to a customer recently. It was modelled mostly in Inventor with a little in AutoCAD 3D imported into the inventor model.

I then exported it to Navisworks to give a 1st person walk around of the new facility.

Our customer was blown away by how good a demonstration this was. Still I had no VR capabilities. I want to be able to give these presentations using VR hardware.

I can't see why VR has not been implemented yet as a presentation tool. Using the Oculus rift or HTC Vive is simply not realistic and will take a long time to take off. It may be the premium experience, but it is not likely many companies will be able to invest and use this technology.

If google cardboard were used it would easily be accessed by many users. Most of us have smart phones these days after all.

Navisworks will already run in full screen so all that is missing is for it to render a Side by Side 3D image. No special technology require, just output that to the screen. I can just stream the video to my phone and bingo, instant VR presentation for everyone who has brought their phone with them.

There are already apps that will emulate mouse movement by reading data from the phones sensors, if we could just have our designs render a sbs3D image we would be good to go.

Adding VR support to showcase would also give a mind blowing demo.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report