Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet Set Display vs File/Plot Names

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
Greek2Me
713 Views, 0 Replies

Sheet Set Display vs File/Plot Names

Can anybody help me create a setup where SSM flyout will display a sheet number and description,

(i.e. 70-100 Wiring Diagram)

but the names of cad files and plots are the project number followed by the sheet number?

(i.e 5764.250 8045-70-100.pdf)

I really want to take advantage of Sheet Sets, but I have a delemma: Document Control (those tyrants!) insists that all cad files and plot names are comprised of only a project number followed by the sheet number, while I want the SSM flyout to display the sheet number followed by a description, so I can quickly access a drawing from the SSM by either one. I thought this was one purpose of sheet sets.

So I created a sheet set, added a new sheet and entered the sheet number, say "70-100" in the Number window and "Wiring Diagram" in the Sheet Title window. This makes the flyout display what I want, but SSM automatically combines the two and names the cad file (and the resulting pdf) "70-100 Wiring Diagram.dwg". No good, or so Doc Control tells me.

Even though SSM already named the cad file, it still gave me the option to override via the File name window. I entered the file name as I want it to appear (i.e 5764.250 8045-70-100.dwg), assuming it would later use that for the plot name as well. Only half right, the file name is saved correctly but pdf's are still named as a combination of Number and Sheet Title. Apparently the plot name comes from the layout tab, not the file name. Still no good...

I thought, "I'll just put the file name in the "Number" box and leave the Sheet Title box blank." No go, an error message told me that I must have at least one character length for the Sheet Title. (I tried using a space in Sheet Title box, but it won't accept that either.)

Finally, I put the project number in the number box, the sheet number in the sheet title box (which just seems WRONG), checked the "Rename layout to match sheet title" and "Prefix with sheet number" boxes, and let it combine them. It properly named both the cad file but it "stutters" on the plot name (repeats the first four digits and the end of the plot name), and then displays only drawing numbers, without descriptions in the flyout.  Two steps forward, three back...

Maybe I'm asking too much, but I thought "Number" box should contain the drawing number, the "Sheet Title" box should be a text description (something from the title block) and I have NO idea why it insists on including the text as part of the file name. In fact, it appears to lean towards naming files and plots by description ONLY, the sheet number could be left out completely! I've been doing this for a LONG time in multiple industries and have always seen the names of cad files and plots matching the drawing number while the text description appears only in drawing lists, more for "quick reference" if you don't know exactly what the drawing is by the number alone. Am I missing something? Would somebody actually name the cad file "FP-001 Floor Plan.dwg"? I should think only "FP-001.dwg" is correct.

Thanks much for any insight and help on this.

Maranatha

"Always remember: nothing difficult is ever easy."
0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost