Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Publishing multiple files to multiple multi-sheet PDFs !

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
519 Views, 5 Replies

Publishing multiple files to multiple multi-sheet PDFs !

Hi all, I'm looking to convert a bunch of DWG files to PDF and I'd like to do it automatically. I looked into the PUBLISH command but the only options I find are to make one file per presentation, or, one PDF file including all presentations. I would like to publish each file (each file contains multiple presentations) to one PDF file that contains all of its presentations. eg : If I have 3 DWG files with 6 presentation in each one, I just want to have 3 PDF files with 6 pages in each. Seems quite a simple task but I can't find how to do it ! Thanks, Regards.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dmfrazier
in reply to: Anonymous

Assuming "presentation" means "layout", I think your only option here is to run Publish (to a multi-sheet PDF) once for each individual DWG file.

Message 3 of 6
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

That's three separate runs of PUBLISH command, not one: you weren't thinking simple enough.
PUBLISH is not to be used for "sets" as you describe it.

Perhaps you need to get into SSM (Sheet Set Manager), and create separate 'sets', then you can PUBLISH eash set from there. SSM is all about 'sets' of drawings.

Message 4 of 6
dmfrazier
in reply to: pendean

"That's three separate runs of PUBLISH command, not one: you weren't thinking simple enough."

Excuse me? It's not clear to me to whom your reply is directed, but your "weren't thinking simple enough" comment is confusing.  Please clarify that for us.

"PUBLISH is not to be used for "sets" as you describe it."

No? It seems to work just fine for me, and I see no reason why it wouldn't work just fine for the OP and the circumstances s/he described.

"Perhaps you need to get into SSM (Sheet Set Manager), and create separate 'sets', then you can PUBLISH eash set from there."

I agree that SSM can be helpful in terms of managing sets of "sheets", but it makes no difference in terms of how many times Publish must be run.  The OP indicated the "sets" are already "separate" in that they are contained within individual DWG files, so the advantage of using SSM in this case is minimal and may just add unnecessary complexity. (Though I agree that it is a valuable feature and it would be good for the OP to understand it.)

"SSM is all about 'sets' of drawings"

But where it really shines is when those "sets" consist of sheets from multiple DWG files.

Message 5 of 6
pendean
in reply to: dmfrazier

If you are not on a mobile device, look at the REPLY TO section of my post, it shows whom I am replying to (aka, not you). Just as I can see you are rplying to me and not the OP. Talk to Autodesk if you only use Mobile and can't see that feature so they can make it available.

PUBLISH doesn't have complicated features, it's simplistic in nature.
Put sheets up, publish them. That's all it does. No sorting, no "only publish this bunch but not that bunch if all of them are listed".

It can't keep track of individual sets, that's what SSM, if I understood the OP's wishlist (they want to load up all three sets but publish eash set separately, not together then hand-sort them or hand-edit them afterwards).

AFAIK we are both saying the same thing 🙂
Message 6 of 6
dmfrazier
in reply to: pendean

pendean,

I'm not on a mobile device.

I'm aware of the "in reply to" marker at the top of the post, which made it clear to me which post you were reading when you clicked the Reply button, but I have found that I really cannot rely on that because sometimes (too many times) people don't pay attention to that "formality" here, and sometimes people mix together in one post comments meant for multiple posters.  (Thus my "not clear to me" comment.)

"AFAIK we are both saying the same thing"

Yet, somehow it just doesn't sound the same...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost