Did you mean: 

Problems with scaling in autoCAD

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
ninett.andreassen
880 Views, 8 Replies

Problems with scaling in autoCAD

Hello everybody

I have a problem regarding the scaling in AutoCAD. I’ve seen some have asked similar questions, and I have done pretty much every proposal, and still it won’t work.

The problem goes like this:

When I set my layout (paper space) to scale 1:10 000 or 1:500 and so, it doesn’t get right when I measure with the ruler. The scale is a bit smaller.. For instance I have a house which is 46 m long, but when I scale it to 1:500 and print it, its only 38 m long on the paper!

I’m drawing in 1:1, the drawing units are set to meters, have set the command –DWGUNITS to 6 (meters), the page setup manager on the layout is set to 1:1, and even the plot is set to 1:1. I also tried to change the command DIMASSOC to 1 (I read somewhere that is should be 1 and not two..) What am I missing?

I have tried every possible solution that I know of, but I really need your help to get this right!

Thank you!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
pendean
in reply to: ninett.andreassen

Can you post the DWG with the problem?
Message 3 of 9
ninett.andreassen
in reply to: pendean

Thank you for replying so fast!

I can’t seem to upload the DWG file due to the file size, and I’m not really sure how to reduce it. Any suggestions?

I had to delete most of the drawings in order to get the file small enough, but it shouldn’t matter, as long as there is something for you to look at. And i had to copy it into a standard template. I think it should have all the adjustments I’ve written above. I still get the same problem when plotting.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 9
pendean

Your drawings are city plans: I'm curious how a 1:1 street fits on an A1 sheet at 1:1 scale. THere is something off with your model drawing and I can;t quite put my finger on it.

You also posted AutoCAD 2007 format files but the content is from AutoCAD 2013/2014 and AEC in nature. Did you grab these files from another program or source for your class project? I don;t have the originating program so I cannot do anything with your files (probably the same for you?).
Message 5 of 9

There is absolutely something strange here, but I got some new DWG-drawings today, and these seem to work just fine, why, I don’t know!

I would really like to understand what’s wrong with my drawings, but I think I have to prioritize working with my project at this moment.

The reason for my attached file being a 2007 format is because I thought it might reduce the file size.. I’m currently working within the newest version of AutoCAD.

Anyway, thank you so much for trying to help me. Very much appreciated!

Message 6 of 9
pendean

Glad you got a set that worked well.
Message 7 of 9

I am having trouble with scaling. I brought in a file and the dimensions that were brought in on the drawing say one thing but the when I try to dimension it is says something completely different, and I am not quite sure how to fix it. like one of the dimensions is 2' that was brought in on the drawing but when i try to re-dimension it in AutoCAD its say like 24'. 

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 9

UNITS in both the files are probably different: one assumes an inch and the other assumes a foot perhaps. Also, your DIMSTYLE may be set incorrectly.

In each file type -DWGUNITS (there is a dash in the name) and ensure all the settings are identical.
Message 9 of 9
KTaule

Ninett, your problem maybe in relation to the paper size. Before you start measuring with your scale rule, just scale out the paper size to be confirmed it is correct paper size you are using.

Regards,

Kepas Taule

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost