Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low quality when converting .dwg to .pdf

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
Anonymous
36582 Views, 21 Replies

Low quality when converting .dwg to .pdf

When I convert a DWG file into a PDF file I end up losing image quality on the PDF. 

The PDF file produced is not of the same quality that is on screen of the AutoCAD.

The difference is also very noticeable when printing the two files. On a hardcopy of both files, the printed PDF file is of noticeably lesser quality than the printed DWG file. 

Lines become jagged and there are subtle breaks in the PDF compared to the DWG.

Is there a way to fix this? Ive been doing some research and I noticed others have come up with the same problem but I could not find a solution.

Any thoughts? 

Tags (1)
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

what does 'converting' mean?
AutoCAD version?

AutoCAD is a precision CAD program, PDF is a "paperless" paper print set at 300 unless you did something about it: you are comparing apples and oranges.
Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

I apologize, Printing as a PDF reduces the quality of the image compared to the image displayed on the AutoCAD display.

I use AutoCAD LT 14
Message 4 of 22
pendean

Which PDF driver are you using? The built-in DWG to PDF driver can be adjusted for output quality, even from the PLOT pop-up window.

Scale, sheet size output (PDF and Paper) also affect quality.
Message 5 of 22
dgorsman

A little more expansion on the last point: if you plot an A1/D -size drawing to an 11x17 PDF and print that PDF at the original A1/D size, then it will look as is described.  If you plot it to the "proper" size in PDF, then it should print out well at that size and smaller.

There can be problems with raster or PDF inserts the in the drawing.  AutoCAD has no way to up-sample the resolution to produce a high-quality print from the original.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 22
Greek2Me
in reply to: dgorsman

Try the Adobe PDF converter.

One of our designers suggested it, and it provides MUCH higher resolution (around 1200 dpi), so that even a 22x34 appears VERY clearly when plotted or viewed on the screen and zoomed in on details.

It also appears to have solved many issues related to "text masking" appearing as black or grey blobs when plotted.

Maranatha

"Always remember: nothing difficult is ever easy."
Message 7 of 22
Anonymous

Save as a 2007 dwg file and then open it with Adobe Illustrator. Make sure all line weights are correct then save as pdf usng maximum quality. This will give u a much sharper image. 😉

Message 8 of 22
greg_battin

Select the image and then right click and open the "properties palette" then change the "plot quality" to Monochrome

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous

Hi, Toby66.

Thanks for your info. I am testing about another PDF converting toolkit these days. I wonder whether it allows me to convert .dwg to .pdf easily. Do you have any ideas about it? Or any good suggestion? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Arron

Message 10 of 22
whunter

Check that your Visual Style isn't set to Realistic. If it is, you'll get a raster PDF. Set it to 2D Wireframe.

2D Wireframe -> Vector PDF

Realistic -> Raster PDF

Raster PDFs can be handy if you want to share drawings but don't want other parties to be able to convert back to vector.

Hope this helps?

William Hunter

Inventor Pro 2014 SP1 Update 1, Win 7 64-bit.
--
Please mark this as Solved if it answered your question, other people may find it useful too.

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: greg_battin

I have a top 3D Assembly with a dozen or more external references.  "Plot style" is grayed. The objective is to  save the model in various rotations as a Tiff. "Plotting"  to file to create a TIFF also poor resolution.

Message 12 of 22
duanx

shaded viewport options , use legacy hidden or legacy weirframe, you can get a vector graphic,

otherwise you only receive raster

Since 2007, AutoCAD introduced the new 3d modeling display engine. So Shadeplot has the new 3D Hidden option vs the legacy Hidden option.

Xinhua Duan

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous

Hi,

You will need to go to

1. Print >
  2. Plot >
  3. on the top right corner you will see "Plot style table (pen assignment)" in the drop down menu you will need to select "DWF virtual pens.ctb"
  4. click ok.

The other method: you can set your layout on "Hidden" instead of "2D Wireframe", however I don't really recommend doing this over the above instructions.

Good luck

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous

uncheck the "Plot transparency" box on the Plot dialogue window

Message 15 of 22
Anonymous

I am also facing this kind of problem... i saved my autocad drawing as pdf . but ,when i printed this drawing ,Objects and some text of lines that are appearing on the printed out A3 paper appeared small as well as unclear... help me solve this problem as i learnt this course recently...

Message 16 of 22
pendean

Set your PDF driver to capture all fonts: learn to PLOT to PDF instead of "save as" for better control too.
Message 17 of 22
Anonymous

Try larger paper size.
With a1 i got what I was looking for
Message 18 of 22
lucas.caravia

I used A0, better than A1 for me.

then you can also open it in Illustrator or other software and adjust line strokes on the PDF.

hope it help you

lucas

Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: lucas.caravia

raster image text looks great on print preview but when you view it as a newly created pdf file, the image becomes a fuzzy blob of unreadable ink...when I went into the plot dialog box and checked the "plot options" box named "plot transparency", then and only then, was I able to get a much better image of legible text...it comes out a bit lighter but as crisp as it should.  It would be nice to know if there really is a way to have the image form a pdf that matches the plot preview's great, undiminished appearance.  I did not experience it through all the previous suggested comments before this one.

Message 20 of 22
auhlig1

@Anonymous wrote:

uncheck the "Plot transparency" box on the Plot dialogue window

- is the right answer!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost