Printing and Plotting

Printing and Plotting

Contributor
bquinney
Message 1 of 7 (334 Views)

Large Format - Landscape Issue

334 Views, 6 Replies
05-23-2012 06:29 AM

This is an issue that has gone on in v2012 and still in v2013, so I'm bringing this issue here hoping to get some resolution.

A client of mine has been dealing with a painful workaround when plotting custom sized maps in landscape. If the layout shows the map in landscape as it should, it will not plot. You would have to rotate the drawing 90 degrees for it to plot. The maps cover many sqaure miles, so looking at getting the plot area correct, making various changes and such in the layout, while at 90 degrees, is pretty infuriating. I'm in no way a novice in the Adsk world, so having tried a load of options and such, I'm at an impasse. Below are a few things that have been checked off the troubleshooting list.

1. Not just maps, but even a simple rectangle does not work;
  2. Updating plotter drivers;
  3. Deleting layout and/or viewport, then recreating one;
  4. Using all combinations of portrait/landscape settings in the plot dialog AND in the printer properties;
  5. Dropping the plot quality (shouldn't matter, but....meh);
  6. Changing the compatibility setting of the program to an earlier version of windows;
  7. Using a driver from a different plotter;
  8. Change margins on custom paper sizes;
  9. Audit the file;
  10. Used templates from different versions

And so on...Oh, the machines are Windows 7, 64 bit Xeon Proc, with 26GB RAM, and 2GB video cards.

Civil 3D 2013
Dell Precision T7500, Windows 7, 64bit Pro
Xeon proc., 2 @ 2.13GHz
24GB RAM
Distinguished Mentor
michael.robertson
Message 2 of 7 (329 Views)

Re: Large Format - Landscape Issue

05-23-2012 07:39 AM in reply to: bquinney

Does it preview correctly?

What model printer, pc3, and paper size are you trying to plot to?

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
Contributor
bquinney
Message 3 of 7 (326 Views)

05-23-2012 08:41 AM in reply to: michael.robertson

thanks for the response.

Yes, it does preview correctly. It's an HP Z6200, 42", the PC3 was made from making the slightest change in properties of course. I also tried using the device directly to no avail. The paper size is 36"x50" with the 36" roll installed.

Civil 3D 2013
Xeon proc., 2 @ 2.13GHz
24GB RAM
Contributor
bquinney
Message 4 of 7 (324 Views)

05-23-2012 08:43 AM in reply to: bquinney

I'm thinking I may have to use an even different driver from the same Z-family of plotters, but I don't want to individually install them all, then test.

Civil 3D 2013
Xeon proc., 2 @ 2.13GHz
24GB RAM
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 5 of 7 (315 Views)

05-23-2012 06:48 PM in reply to: bquinney

what happens to the output if you plot to pdf and dwf? same problem?

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Contributor
bquinney
Message 6 of 7 (297 Views)

05-29-2012 02:12 PM in reply to: pendean

The issue doesn't happen when plotting to PDF or DWF. It would also be a bad workaround by going the route of printing to to one of those formats, then sending to the plotter, as the files are routinely huge, with several SDFs, thus adding to plot time.

Civil 3D 2013
Xeon proc., 2 @ 2.13GHz
24GB RAM
Active Contributor
wundrlik
Message 7 of 7 (281 Views)

06-04-2012 10:55 AM in reply to: bquinney

We've had the same issue on our large color plotter (Kip KC-80).  The way we've "fixed" is to ensure that all the paper sizes are 36 wide by xx long, and have the plotter defaults set to portrait.  As long as those don't change everything is peachy, but as soon as anyone sets the plotter to landscape, it plots landscape on portrait paper and cuts off the plot (the same behavior you are having).  We've also eliminated the pc3's, and are using the standard windows driver.

The easiest way I've found to get around PC3/PMP files is to use the Windows System printers on a print server.  Here's the $64m dollar answer:

On the print server (you may have to work with IT on it), go File =>  Print Server Properties or File => Server Properties

Then putting a check mark in Create new form, add all the paper sizes you need.  Then, when you go to print on any device that's connected to \\printservername\printer any paper sizes you have created should now appear.  I know this works for my KIP device.  If you have an Oce plotter, you create the custom paper sizes on the server using the Oce Printer Preferences, and Save to Share (makes them available to everyone).

I haven't needed PC3 / PMP files for plotters or printers in about 4 years, I currently have 53 custom sizes loaded, and if I need additional ones, I can always request them to be added.

That's my shot in the dark, hope it helps

Ryan A Wunderlich
Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.