Printing and Plotting

Printing and Plotting

jswalt
Message 1 of 6 (5,332 Views)

How do I print the color white?

5332 Views, 5 Replies
09-20-2001 03:13 AM
I am using AutoCAD rel. 14 on a computer running Windows 2000. I have a gray hatched object with a white hatched object on top. The white hatched object is on a layer that I created using the color white. I have also tried using color 255. The screen image looks correct, however when I print or do a print preview, my white hatching is black. Is there a way to "print" white without just hatching around the object? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
*Support, Autodesk
Message 2 of 6 (5,332 Views)

Re: How do I print the color white?

09-21-2001 08:46 AM in reply to: jswalt
Not that I know of unless you replace the Black ink cartridge with a
white one.

--
Bill Gilk
PSG Product Support, Americas
WW Support & Services, Autodesk
Discussion Q&A: http://www.autodesk.com/discussion

jswalt wrote:

> I am using AutoCAD rel. 14 on a computer running Windows 2000. I have
> a gray hatched object with a white hatched object on top. The white
> hatched object is on a layer that I created using the color white. I
> have also tried using color 255. The screen image looks correct,
> however when I print or do a print preview, my white hatching is
> black. Is there a way to "print" white without just hatching around
> the object? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
*Proppe, Thomas
Message 3 of 6 (5,332 Views)

09-21-2001 08:36 PM in reply to: jswalt
Be sure to use a HEIDI driver 7 or ADI in ACAD14. Some Window drivers ignore
solids in color 255 to be 'plotted' white. At least be sure in hp-plotters
color merging is off (use hpconfig in ACAD14) and the solid is really on
top, meansthat it is drawn later than the one that has to been covered.

At last you must know that TruType can't have color 255, but you can use any
other and then redirect in plot-dialogue to color 255.

Thomas Proppe

>jswalt schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
f081c04.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
>I am using AutoCAD rel. 14 on a computer running Windows 2000. I have a
gray hatched object with a white hatched object on top. >The white hatched
object is on a layer that I created using the color white. I have also tried
using color 255. The screen image looks >correct, however when I print or do
a print preview, my white hatching is black. Is there a way to "print" white
without just hatching >around the object? Any help would be greatly
appreciated.
Distinguished Contributor
kimmyz
Message 4 of 6 (5,332 Views)

10-02-2001 08:11 AM in reply to: jswalt
I have successfully printed "white" areas (closed polylines) using AutoCAD's PSFILL command and RGBCOLOR fill pattern. When prompted for the Red (R), Green (G) and Blue (B) formula, type in a value of "100" for each. (Note that this is different than what is used for most illustration and photo editing software packages. The latter use a formual of Red: 255, Green: 255, and Blue: 255 as opposed to AutoCAD's Postscript color scale which only goes up to "100".) Although you won't be able to view the color fill which is assigned with the PSFILL command, the area will print "white" if you use the PSOUT command (instead of the PLOT command). Of course, your printer/plotter must be Postscript capable. If you plot to a file with the PSOUT command, AutoCAD will generate an .EPS file (Encapsulated Postscript file) rather than a .PLT file. Be sure you use the appropriate Postscript driver for your plotter or printer. Basically, the white area is created by an absence of all ink rather than by the plotter or printer placing white ink on the paper. PSFILL and PSOUT are rarely used commands which I have found very useful for printing many lovely pastel colors and other colors which are unavailable in the standard 256 color AutoCAD palette.
With AutoCAD r14, the PSFILL command is one way to create a white area on your drawing. If you have overlapping areas of color, be sure that the white area is on TOP (drawn last) of the other areas. Postscript prints entities in the order that they are drawn. The most recently drawn or modified object will print on top. If you upgrade from r14 to AutoCAD 2000i, you will be able to add many more colors to your palette through the use of the new "Plot Styles". With these you can choose "Other" color and then "True Color". Then just pick from the true color palette and adjust "Screening" to get all kinds of lovely pastel colors. White can be achieved by setting Screening to a value of zero (with any color). Once you have defined your various plot styles, you can assign these to any entities in the Layer Dialog Box. I found that my HP750C color plotter must be set to "Color" on the front panel in order for these custom colors to plot. Hope this helps.
Karin
Contributor
sarisweetie
Message 5 of 6 (5,332 Views)

09-12-2008 11:24 AM in reply to: jswalt
I have gotten around this by using a very light grey.
Distinguished Contributor
nvanlaar
Message 6 of 6 (5,332 Views)

09-12-2008 03:30 PM in reply to: jswalt
Huh? Do you mean the white as in color #7 that actually prints black or are
you are looking for the color to use as a wipeout (ie. it does not print)?
It's 255, 255, 255.

"sarisweetie" wrote in message news:6030444@discussion.autodesk.com...
> I have gotten around this by using a very light grey.
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.