Printing and Plotting

Distinguished Contributor
jlamber
Message 1 of 11 (1,262 Views)
Accepted Solution

Dwg to PDF controls

1262 Views, 10 Replies
06-25-2012 02:11 PM

We have a need to generate (Plot, Publish, or Export) a PDF file  that we can set the PDF layer viewing.   We would like to set specific layers to be off by default in the PDF.    That means we want layer control to be on but set specific layers to not display.   The user would still have ability to turn on and off in Adobe Reader. 

Our application is that we want to have multiple languages, each on its on layer, with the ability to leave English on and turn off others.   These others could be turn on and English off with the Reader layer controls.  

I have looked to the DWGTOPDF.pc3 plotting and have found the control for displaying the layer dialog in the PDF file.  I have found how to turn layer plotting on and off in the layer dialog.   I do not find how to control specific layers of the PDF as off by default.   I'm looking for a magic pdf driver, a variable in the drawing or plotter routine, the ability in a  DWF file or someone that might address on the Adobe side.  

I post here because there was at one time a Plotting and Printing Group.        

OK, now I get it: there is no such driver in AutoCAD or a free PDF driver that will do that AFAIK: AutoCAD does not write that kind of info out.

As everyone suggested, you need to mvoe to the Adobe forums and see if any of their products can do what you seek. That's over at Adobe, use this link to post over there: http://forums.adobe.com/community/acrobat/

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 11 (1,259 Views)

Re: Dwg to PDF controls

06-26-2012 05:25 AM in reply to: jlamber

AutoCAD will set the "default" layers in the PDF upon creation if you set it that way before you plot to PDF. Are you trying someone to avoid this step?

Adobe Acrobat is not CAD: but if you think it should, you need to be posting in the Adboe support forums and not here, AutocAD does what I stated in the above sentence and seems to be what you seek for the 'creation' phase:

http://helpx.adobe.com/support/ 

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
jlamber
Message 3 of 11 (1,256 Views)

06-26-2012 07:13 AM in reply to: pendean

Thank you for moving post to this location.   I knew I had seen printing and plotting before but didn't go into the discussion forum to find it before I posted.   (We are an AutoCAD mechancial users and don't see much activity on it's forum)

I appreciate the reply.   I am attaching a sample PDF that can be opened with Adobe Reader to see the layer dialog.  I have generated the layers with 0 and Border visible.   Dim is locked.   The TXT layer is not visible.   I'm trying to achieve the effect of the TXT layer.   One can see that it is turned off by default.   My hope would be that there is away to set this in AutoCAD while running DWGTOPDF.pc3

I have been an AutoCAD user for more than 25 years.  I understand the difference between Acrobat and AutoCAD.   I have a need and thought there might be someone out there that had a solution from the AutoCAD side.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 4 of 11 (1,252 Views)

06-26-2012 07:58 AM in reply to: jlamber

You might be over-complicating a PDF file:

Turn that layer on/thaw it in AutoCAD. QSAVE.

Now PLOT to the PDF driver: that layer will be on in the PDF.

The layer(s) you want on/off have to be set to be on/off/thawed/frozen in AutoCAD before you plot to PDF: PDF is like plotting to paper, what you want to see at first look must be on/turned on first on AutoCAD before plotting.

You can't set layers "while plotting" in AutoCAD or using AutoCAD'd drivers or most PDF drivers, they don't work like that. YOu may need to go to the Adobe forums (my first reply) and seek help over there with a purchased option if available.

jlamber
Message 5 of 11 (1,243 Views)

06-26-2012 03:18 PM in reply to: pendean

Not sure we are connecting on what I'm trying to do.    I would like the layer to be generated inside the PDF but when you open the PDF it is shown turned off.  

I have tried all the combinations of   on/off   freeze/thaw.     I find if the layer is off, frozen, or not plotable the layer is not developed in the PDF.     I thought you might have the trick as I wasn't saving prior to the plot.   Sorry that didn't get it either.

Product Support
bryce.thelin
Message 6 of 11 (1,239 Views)

06-26-2012 04:32 PM in reply to: jlamber

This is going to be something to do in Adobe Acrobat. In AutoCAD, the layers are, basically, either on or off--plotted or not plotted. I would be surprised if there isn't a way to save a PDF in Acrobat with certain layers on or off. I would definitely check the Adobe forums about this.

Bryce Thelin
jlamber
Message 7 of 11 (1,224 Views)

06-27-2012 11:12 AM in reply to: jlamber

Thank you all for suggestions.   My goal was to generate a PDF with layer settings from AutoCAD.    The work with layers can be done to the PDF from Acrobat with many steps and some direction.   The hope was to remove all of this from the users and automate.  Looks like this is one of those things that doesn't have a solution.   I thought maybe I might have missed something on the AutoCAD side.

Jim

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 8 of 11 (1,219 Views)

06-28-2012 06:14 AM in reply to: jlamber

In the DWG to PDF.PC3 file, do you have the Layer information box checked? See attachment.

It works fine here as I described it after you do that.

jlamber
Message 9 of 11 (1,213 Views)

06-28-2012 12:18 PM in reply to: jlamber

The DWGtoPDF printer was configured to generate PDF as shown in your picture.   The layer dialog does appear in the PDF but only the layers that are set "on"  in the drawing.  Setting the layers to froozen or off causes them to not show in the PDF's menu.  

I actually generated the attached sample by opening the drawing from Acrobat and it successfully generated the layer menu in the PDF (show in the attached picture).  

I'm still looking to plot a PDF with layers listed in the PDF's layer menu but have layer menu in the PDF set with one or more layers a not visible.   I'm beginning to wonder if you can do this on your end and I can't on mine.   I have tried on more than one computer here (2012)

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 10 of 11 (1,208 Views)

06-28-2012 01:27 PM in reply to: jlamber

OK, now I get it: there is no such driver in AutoCAD or a free PDF driver that will do that AFAIK: AutoCAD does not write that kind of info out.

As everyone suggested, you need to mvoe to the Adobe forums and see if any of their products can do what you seek. That's over at Adobe, use this link to post over there: http://forums.adobe.com/community/acrobat/

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.