Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Publish to PDF offset

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
william.e.belinski
3694 Views, 11 Replies

AutoCAD Publish to PDF offset

I am using AutoCAD 2015.  When I use the 'publish' command and set it to PDF all the pages are printed shifted up an inch or so cutting off the tops.  This only occurs when I publish to PDF.  If I publish to a printer the pages come out in the correct position, or if I single print each page to PDF they will be in the correct height.  The problem is only when doing multiple pages pages to pdf.  

I have tried searching this before and found very little information on the topic and no solutions.  I was wondering if anybody else had experienced this or solved it.

Thank you much,

Will

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

PDF file formats have wider margins: much wider than most printers and plotters. Ensure that's not the underlying issue by using PLOT command to the same exact PDF driver you are using in PUBLISH.
Message 3 of 12

When I use plot for a single page it is 'Adobe PDF converter'  in publish it is set to "Override: DWG to PDF"  Is there a way to set the override to specify the converter, or is it automatically doing that?  I should also mention this only effects 8.5x11 size.  All larger page sizes come out normal.   

Message 4 of 12

PUBLISH uses the DWG TO PDF.PC3: that's the one to test with in PLOT command. I'm not familair with your other option.
Message 5 of 12

The issue arrives because every single printer driver has a different definition of what a certain size of paper is, and what the margins should be in a PDF of a certain size. Adobe has a different opinion on the matter than Autodesk. So if your drawing is perfectly matched with an Adobe PDF sheet size, it might be offset a bit for a 'DWG to PDF' sheet size.

Two possible solutions:
1) Only ever use one printer driver
2) Make sure there is nothing outside the border of your sheets; and plot using 'extents' instead of layout. That way, your drawing will always be neatly centered when plotting.

If you go for solution 1, here's how to publish using your adobe pdf driver:
I'm assuming all your sheets are the same size.

Go the regular plot dialog box by typing PLOT or ctrl+P (while any of your layouts is active, doesnt matter). Make sure all your settings for a pdf plot are ok, using your regular pdf printer.

Now save this as a page setup: Click the 'Add..' button at the top, and give it a name. 'Adobe PDF 01' or something.

Now, exit the plot dialog box; and go to the publish dialog box. For each sheet, you can select a page setup. You can also change them all at once by selecting them all and changing the page setup of the first one. The page setup that you created earlier should be in this list.

Make sure to 'Publish to: Plotter named in page setup', and go!

Best regards
Kasper Wuyts

I have had the same problem. My solution was to use the "publish using page setup overide" function in the Sheet Set Manager. I set it up as I normally would and did a test plot. I then measured the offset difference and adjusted the x and y override in my page setup. For an example: my 11 x 17 needed to have a setting of x= -.11 and y= -.3. That worked great for me. 

Message 7 of 12

I was running into this problem myself and found a solution (or at least a partial one).

So, my setup is basically that I modify all of the page sizes in my network-located DWG to PDF.pc3 to have all 0.2 borders for every page size that I have filtered for use. However, using Publish to generate the PDFs (with the DWG to PDF override) kept producing top/bottom-clipped PDFs for Letter size sheets. My big sheets (Arch D, ANSI D, etc) were not affected and generated as desired.

In troubleshooting, I used procmon.exe (from SysInternals) to monitor what acad.exe was doing while publishing. My assumption was that acad.exe was opening or temporarily creating a different Dwg to PDF.pc3 file. It wasn't...it was accessing my modified file.

Then I figured out the issue...because my source PC3 file, laserjet.pc3, was using "Letter" as the page-size name and Dwg to PDF.pc3 doesn't have a "Letter" (it uses "ANSI A" instead), acad.exe was just substituting the default settings for the equivalent size. I added a custom "Letter" size with my expanded margins and now Publish to PDF works as intended.

Your mileage may vary.

-Josh

Civil 3D 2015

-Josh
Message 8 of 12
camophil
in reply to: pendean

hello, 

i have tried this multiple times and its always the first sheet and sometimes the third.  that the top boarder id cut off by half inch.  i have reset the plot space, plot view, printer settings and publish setting.  i even went as far as edge to edge and purge and extra lines.  still the first page is cut off.  not sure what the deal is.  my coworker has to publish for me and it kinda tiring after some time.

Message 9 of 12
john.vellek
in reply to: camophil

Hi @camophil,

If your co-workers setup is working then copy the pc3 and pmp files from that computer to your own. If that doesn't work, please report back.

I also like to adjust my margins to 0 in my page size and I like to apply a named Page Setup to my layouts.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 10 of 12
rbrittain
in reply to: kasperwuyts

Thanks!  Solution 1 worked for me, but it published all sheets to a multi-sheet file.  How can I publish, with the new page setup to single-sheet files?

Thanks again!

Message 11 of 12
pendean
in reply to: rbrittain

PUBLISH command's pop-up has an options button that will let you change to single sheets, help yourself.

Message 12 of 12
rbrittain
in reply to: pendean

Not when using KasperWuyts Solution 1 above.   The Publish Options box is grayed out and it defaults to multi-sheet files for me.    It did allow me to add a page setup with an offset for the publish command, but is only in multi-sheet files.  The issue is from a title block that is centered when printing to our plotter, but when printing to .pdf, it has a small margin on the bottom, and large at the top.  This project has 60 plans, and was just trying to not have to print 1 drawing at a time. 

Apologies to have asked on an old post.  I am using AutoCAD 2017 MEP.

Thanks again,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost