Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCad not responding - Student version 2014

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
rypm
641 Views, 6 Replies

AutoCad not responding - Student version 2014

Hi all, this may be a daft newbie question but it's driving me crazy. Though i'd see if anyone on here can fathum it.

I've set up my layout for my model space, I've got 4 view ports on there all showing what I want. I've plotted to PDF succesfuly many times first showing preview and then creating the PDF file.

Then for no reason it randomly decides it wont do it. As soon as I click on the plot icon it pauses then I get the spinning wheel of doom and in the menu bar it says 'not responding.

The only thing I've been able to do is start again. Then it happens again and again. The last time irt happened I managed to copy and past everything to a new document and plotted to PDF so it can't be a corrupt element can it? I assume though at some poit it will decide it wont do it again and render another file un-usable.

Can anyone help shed some light?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ampster402
in reply to: rypm

no idea if this still happens with the newer versions, but Acad is known to hang when plotting if either a printer that was once setup in the OS is not responding or no longer available over the network as well as any mapped network drives that are no longer responding.

I have no idea if this is what is happening with you, but it's something to consider.

Message 3 of 7
rypm
in reply to: ampster402

Thanks for the reply.

It's a worry, not knowing if/when it will hang up like that and then essentially end up with a corrupt file.

Message 4 of 7
ampster402

did you check to see if you have any bad printers or mapped network drives still setup?

Go into Devices and Printers, if you see any odd looking symbols on any printers it may mean that printer is no longer working correctly.

After that, go into Windows Explorer or Computer and look at any mapped network drives.  Even if you can see the top or root level of any mapped network drive, try going down into any subfolders on that drive just to double check you do have access to it.

If you find any bad printers or mapped network drives, remove them and try Acad once more.

Message 5 of 7
rypm

Thanks for your help Ampster, i'll look into that.

If I have my page set up set to my home printer, shouldn't it ignore any possible problem printers?

Message 6 of 7
ampster402

doesn't matter what you have set as your preferred printer thru Acad or have set as a default printer, if there is anything not currently working it will cause Acad to slow down or pause for a very long time.

Message 7 of 7
rypm

Thanks so much, I think it's all sorted!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost