Printing and Plotting

Printing and Plotting

CraigJD
Message 1 of 14 (1,053 Views)

Arial or TTF font changes width when plotting

1053 Views, 13 Replies
11-02-2011 10:34 AM

We have noticed when using Arial.TTF (Client Required) that when plotting hard copies out, we have discovered that the width of the text line is different than it shows in Autocad.  We have done several troubleshooting tests, and are convinced it has something to do with it being a TTF font and different drivers or devices scale the fonts differently.  
I have scoured the net, but cannot find discussion on this issue.  Has anyone noticed this and found a way to fix it?

We have tried:

Plot Style Tables - No effect

Various plotters - Same issue, but different degrees of width change

re-creating drawings - no effect

AutoCAD version - no effect

I have attached a sample file that we have used to test this issue - incase it might have an issue in the file it's self.

To see the biggest difference plot to fit a D+ size using Extents vs Window around the Text only.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 14 (1,049 Views)

Re: Arial or TTF font changes width when plotting

11-02-2011 01:02 PM in reply to: CraigJD

Your driver is set to substitute fonts for one on the device's own fonts list most likely based on your description: there is no AutoCAD setting, your file works fine here.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
CraigJD
Message 3 of 14 (1,047 Views)

11-02-2011 02:46 PM in reply to: CraigJD

Just to clarify - when you say my file works fine on your end, does that mean when you plot it out, the astrix's all fall in the correct spot, the same as they are in AutoCAD?

I do thank you for taking the time to look into this, and I will begin looking into the devices being the issue, however, I am already a bit weary about that answer, as plotting to PDF has also been tested with same results.  And I would assume that Adobe would have all TTFonts at their disposal.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 4 of 14 (1,031 Views)

11-03-2011 06:02 AM in reply to: CraigJD

Now you've changed the topic of the post: is this only about the asterisk then, nothing else? The single 'floating' not-part-of-the-text-next-to-it asterisk? I just figured that was sloppy typing on your part :smileyhappy: Based on your posted example, there is absolutely no reason for it to be separate from the line of text adjacent. Unless you need to some reason not obvious to me.

If it is a "positioning" issue only, make it a block with the paranthesis and asterisk as separate objects, positioned them as you like it, then park it next to your line of text. Or explore the big world of custom fonts and find one that better fits your need, I suspect there might just be one or more for you.

You seem to only plot from modelspace, not use Annotative text and use something called adobe pdf for a printer, if anyone else wants to jump in and tackle this item. Thanks.

CraigJD
Message 5 of 14 (1,025 Views)

11-03-2011 07:59 AM in reply to: CraigJD

I'm sorry Pendean, I was affraid based on your reply that you didn't understand my issue...   I see now I did not properly explain what to look for in the example file I provided, please let me try to re-clariffy.

My issue is still the text changing it's width when plotting at different scales.  If I type out a long string of text that is 20" long, and plot it out at 1/2 scale onto an 11x17 in sheet.  I expect it to now be 10" long, not 9-1/2".

The file I attached is only a tool I used to demonstrate the issue.  The astrix being seperate is on purpose, so that you clearly see where it is 'supposed' to be in releation to the long line of text.  I could have layed it out on a grid, or used a dimension to show length, the result is constantly the same. 

When we plot this drawing, the Width of the text changes, not the starting positions of the text.  So as the line of text shrinks, you see the astrix clearly fall way outside the line of text, clearly demonstrating how the width of the text is changing. 

So in your suggestion of 'parking' an entity next to the text does not work, as when I plot my drawings out in different scales, the 'parking' in releation to the text changes.   The major problem we have on this, is we backcircle (draw a cloud around) text changes.  When we issue half size prints to clients we're seeing that the cloud no longer circles the single peice of text we want it to, instead it's shifted over, and covering text.  This should not be the case, the text 'should' remain consistant in relation to all other entities on the drawing no matter what scale we plot to.

other notes of clarification:

Plot in Model Space - we do most drawings in Model space only, but this issue has been tested and occures thru paperspace viewports as well. - so I have ruled this out as not directly being an issue to the problem

Annotative text - not needed in this example as we're not using paperspace....  (could this be an issue?  I seriously doubt it, but will investigate it)

Adobe pdf for a printer - well... yes.  It's one of many tools we use.  We use this to plot our drawings directly into PDF format. - My TTF issue occurs on this 'virtual' printer, our physical laser printers, and physical plotters, so I have ruled this out as not directly being an issue to the problem

I have also attached a NEW sample file and 2 PDF's showing how plotting at different scales, cause the TTF to change width.  You'll notice the top half is the Arial.ttf Font with issues, while the bottom does same tests using the Romans.shx font, and has no issues.  Hopefully this clarify what my problem is, and someone could help me with a 'fix' to this issue. (withouth chaning the font used)

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 6 of 14 (1,015 Views)

11-03-2011 09:57 AM in reply to: CraigJD

I suspect if there was a fix other than the one you found, you would not be posting here. I can say I never noticed it where it was crippling to the extent you note, but we don't add floating items to end of sentences like you do, only the beginning.

We cloud the entire modified paragraph or a modified line of text/Mtext, and highlight the word that changed where needed, and not cloud individual words in sentences. We also switched to Annotative text and objects way back when, so the text correctly resizes to the scale of the viewport (we do not plot or work without paperspace layouts at all). We do not issue D-sized and B-sized PDFs of the same exact titleblock at diferent scales as you do either, so this must be another reason it's not come up much here (many quality free and low-cost PDF drivers, including the one we use FOXIT Reader, allows for pecentage scaling).

Been using ARIAL since it became available in AutoCAD, so thanks for pointing out this quirk with TTFs.

Contributor
neilroper
Message 7 of 14 (780 Views)

11-21-2012 10:59 AM in reply to: pendean

Has Anyone found a fix to this problem?

I have attached a DWG and PDF that display the issue

The lines are draw in the DWG to show where various text positions should be plotted on the PDF. I have forced the embed of Arial and Wingdigns2 in the PDF. I do not want to set me text width factor to 0.999 as this makes the text plot as an image, which makes my file size huge.

You will also notice, on the 4th line of grey dots, a gap appears in the text string. There are a couple of other segments in the grey dots that have odd widths, but I can't seem to find a rhyme or reason to any of it.

I have seen a few other discussion about this issue, but can find any solutions besides creating text as image. Does anyone know of other solutions? Oh, switching away from Arial is also not an option I have available.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 8 of 14 (776 Views)

11-21-2012 11:07 AM in reply to: neilroper

may or may not be your actual problem:

- IGI Standard Text style has a width other than 1

- In your Mtext block,  the bottom six lines of text have SIX different heights assigned. Different from the two lines of text right above them.

Contributor
neilroper
Message 9 of 14 (769 Views)

11-21-2012 11:31 AM in reply to: pendean

Oops, I guess I forgot to reset the text style width after I was playing around looking for solutions. I have attached new examples with everything reset.

I have had to reenter the text height a number of times, but eventually it always seem to get messed up. I have set the attached example to 2 (except for "notes"); although that doesn't seem to have any effect.

CraigJD
Message 10 of 14 (768 Views)

11-21-2012 11:35 AM in reply to: CraigJD

After a year of 'helping' on this topic,  Pendean still doesn't seem to grasp the problem......   :smileyfrustrated:

Neilroper, we have not found a fix for this after a year's time, unfortunately, we just do work arounds as we need to and or 'just live with it'......

I had not run across the width factor 0.999 converting it image solution, so I thank you for that tid bit.  It also makes sense as this issue doesn't seem to be an issue with Autcad's Shape File fonts, only the TTFonts....

If you ever do find a solution (or another temp 'fix') please do repost here, I would be most grateful.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.