Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You can only make drawings from Solids?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
cekuhnen
643 Views, 17 Replies

You can only make drawings from Solids?

If this is true, I will prefer doing my drawings as usual in Rhino which does not care if the input geometry is solid or a surface.

Screen Shot 2014-11-20 at 3.12.15 PM.png

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
TimeraAutodesk
in reply to: cekuhnen

That's correct, Fusion 360 only supports solid bodies within the Drawings workspace.

Message 3 of 18
cekuhnen

That's not good thus limits the usability of it significantly

Claas Kuhnen

Message 4 of 18
jph_22
in reply to: TimeraAutodesk

this is rediculous!....

any further explanations?

thx jan

Message 5 of 18
cekuhnen
in reply to: jph_22

JPH - Unlike Rhino or such Fusion is simply unable to make a technical drawing from an open surface.

Ah well ...

Claas Kuhnen

Message 6 of 18
TimeraAutodesk

Hi Jan, Thanks for your post. We only support items at the component level for documentation currently, and this is the most common workflow that we've seen. Can you go into some detail for me on why you need to create a technical document from a surface? Some insight into your workflows would be helpful as we consider enhancing this area of the drawings module.

Thanks,
Timera
Message 7 of 18
cekuhnen

Timera,

If you think of drawings only being used for sending data and dimensions to sombody who will use it as a manufacturing blueprint it might be common to use solids.

For everything else I often did not use solids because we did not spend / wasted time on that step specifically when you make concept models and for presentation

purpose quickly want to add some dimensions for a pdf presentation.

While the ability to create interactive 2D drawings is pretty nice in Fusion (changes in the design will be updated in the drawing) pretty simple dump 2D drawings are a thing

I think Fusion should add as well. the interactive part here seems to also show a bottleneck problem.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 8 of 18

@TimeraAutodesk wrote:
Hi Jan, Thanks for your post. We only support items at the component level for documentation currently, and this is the most common workflow that we've seen. Can you go into some detail for me on why you need to create a technical document from a surface? Some insight into your workflows would be helpful as we consider enhancing this area of the drawings module.

Thanks,
Timera

How are you supposed to work in an assembly if you need copies of a body. For example, you model a bolt that's used several times in the assembly. It seems easier to make the copies as bodies not as new component but then you get all the copies in the drawing. I think being able to make drawing of bodies would make the workflow easier.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 18
cekuhnen
in reply to: HughesTooling

Thats a great example and Rhino 2D drawing tool worked perfect here because we just made the drawing and then multiplied the outline as much as needed and composed the laser cut sheet for the factory.

What Fusion here really needs is the ability to selectively add files to the drawing. With the view tool you can add multiple copies for example.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 10 of 18
jph_22

'If you think of drawings only being used for sending data and dimensions to sombody who will use it as a manufacturing blueprint it might be common to use solids.

For everything else I often did not use solids because we did not spend / wasted time on that step specifically when you make concept models and for presentation

purpose quickly want to add some dimensions for a pdf presentation.

While the ability to create interactive 2D drawings is pretty nice in Fusion (changes in the design will be updated in the drawing) pretty simple dump 2D drawings are a thing

I think Fusion should add as well. the interactive part here seems to also show a bottleneck problem.'

totally agree!

Message 11 of 18
jph_22

Hi Tirema,

SInce I do Thermorming parts (PE and PP...), Blowmoulding (PE) and Glass- and Carbonfibre parts with one sided open moulds all I need is Surfaces..., later on while construcing moulds and tools, those surfaces will be used to construct the solids....

At a certain point I might add some wall-thickness to the surfaces...., but wall-thickness with blowmoulding is somewhat unpredictable.... and that is not considering shrinkige..., which depends on the Master batch of the color, the kind of Polyethylen (PE) being used, and wheter someone opend the door of the factoryfacility....

Therefore just surfaces are fair enough for me.

Surfaces are also handy when I need a quick drawing to comunicate to a third party with unfinished products...

thx Jan

p.s. have a look at the product,

http://spadekayaks.de/

the boat was modeled in Polygons (C4D) and finished in Rhino via Clayoo.... the workflow is somewhat idiotic and  hidious..., that is why Iam looking into Fusion 360..., yet fusion360 is missing the right Polygon tools, (most of this functionalllity has been moved to Speedform, and speedform is missing essential tools...)

Message 12 of 18
TimeraAutodesk

@jph_22,

Wow, the kayak you're designing is pretty impressive! I really appreciate you taking the time to give us some details and context around how you want to use this feature requested - it is very helpful for us to better understand the problems / workflows that this would solve for customers like yourself. 

If you have any other ideas, please keep sharing them! If you post them to the IdeaStation then you can also get real-time feedback on their status which is pretty cool too.

Best,

Timera

Message 13 of 18
cekuhnen

I am just curious. Don't you guys hire design people as well to consult you on how to develop the software?

I increasingly get the idea that people at AD don't know how designers work. I mainly talked to people who studied engineering when I went to the AD AU last year.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 14 of 18
cekuhnen

Not to understand this in a negative way - I am honestly curious because sometimes I think there is a disconnect in the form.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 15 of 18
TimeraAutodesk

@cekuhnen, Yes, we do have industry knowledge and we are constantly working with professionals to help us develop our software.

We also understand that each customer is unique, as is the way that they work. We want to better understand all of our customers (not just the ones who fit into an industry norm) to help us make the best decisions about not only what, but how to build solutions. That's why you see us asking these types of questions on the forum - it's not for a lack of industry knowledge, but rather a desire to step into our user's shoes and understand the uniqueness and complexity of the variety of people that use Fusion 360 so we can best serve them with a great product.

Best,
Timera

Message 16 of 18
cekuhnen

I think you misunderstood me. I think I have the feeling too often the needs and workflows of an engineer are considered and not designers. Maybe that impression stems from the slogan design different with Fusion but it just feels like a typical parametric modeler that drives fear into any designer that needs more freedom.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 17 of 18
andy.engelkemier

haha, 100% accurate.

I've run into a few designers who actually had a class or two in Fusion 360 in school. I keep wondering where they are going because Fusion is kind of a joke to engineers, as being a beta test. I've experienced the same thing. I'm basically buying beta software, but to be fair, this is just what the software industry has become. It seems free, open source softare, is becoming more stable, and more usable than others. Not yet true for CAD, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's coming.

This is also a feature I was surprised to find. And that happens every time I go to use Fusion. It's missing a feature. Sooo, I go back to Rhino, Creo, or SolidWorks. 

Engineers are stuck. Not only do they have to use what the company uses, but they have to use that exact version. Yeah, there are still people using SolidWorks 2014. So we have to run 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and currently that's it. We have 2019, but no one is using it because you Have to deliver what your client uses. The same goes for Creo. So I guess that's something Fusion has going for it? Sort of. I opened an older file, and it failed. So, I guess that's worse. I'm sure it had problems, but, I would have liked the option to open it so that it Didn't break. 

Post something on their idea thing also. It's a joke. The very first response you get will be telling you the workaround. And I'm like....yeah, I put that in the description. I want to do this in One step. I have 1263 unstiched surfaces. I'm not going to Thicken them all so I can get a drawing. Just give me a button. 

It's like Fusion wants to be for engineering, but they've never seen a full assembly before, with complex surfacing. 

SolidWorks now has this as the default, which is fine, but it's terrible that rather than making it an option, they force me to do a couple more actions every time I make a drawing. You have to make the drawing, THEN add in the surfaces. 

I haven't seen them adding many Designer focused features in Quite some time. And if you compare SubD modeling to something like Maya, 3dsMax, or even Blender, you wonder why they are missing So many useful tools. I tried it Once, and ended up modeling it in Blender. Then imported the mesh in. But I had to recrease edges again, so that hurts your workflow a bit. And you have more subtle controls in blender also. 

I've found the Biggest thing that developers miss with designers, is trying to force a workflow. I work differently that the person sitting next to me. I like to organize by type, they organize by date (yuck). I run Rhino with almost nothing but hotkeys, this person over hear runs it with a million buttons. Hey, it works for them. 

I want to be able to create a drawing quickly of what I'm seeing. It's just a step file, has nothing to do with components because I don't actually Use Fusion because I continually find it to be disappointing. But, it failed again. Again, disappointed. 

Message 18 of 18

@andy.engelkemier wrote:

Not yet true for CAD, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's coming.

I would be and I can elaborate in any necessary detail on that!

@andy.engelkemier wrote:

I don't actually Use Fusion 

Aha! But you find it necessary to reply to a truly ancient thread with a post that serves exactly what purpose ?

Peter Doering

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report