Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion 360 still extremely unstable

36 REPLIES 36
Message 1 of 37
cekuhnen
2354 Views, 36 Replies

Fusion 360 still extremely unstable

He folks,

I worked in the past 2 days with Fusion on not very complex shapes, and sadly experienced a very high amount of crashes, ranging to 5 to 6 per hour. The crashes are very random like selecting a loopedge or using a tool, selecting something in the menu.

The feature development is really impressive but the instability of the software makes it really tricky to work with - specifically when it crashes and your work is lost.

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

36 REPLIES 36
Message 2 of 37
schneik-adsk
in reply to: cekuhnen

If I rememner right are yo primarliy using Mac OS X?

We have been digging into instability and we are seeing some trends that is helping us direct our efforts.

Stability is a top priority for us and we know we have work to do.  Please send crash reports in when you can and provide a short description of what was happening prior to the crash.

Kevin Schneider
Message 3 of 37
cekuhnen
in reply to: schneik-adsk

I will keep submitting crash reports!

Claas

Claas Kuhnen

Message 4 of 37

After a lengthy period of peace and quiet, I have also started experiencing some instability- not like Claas, maybe several crashes a day- but then I probably design much more slowly. My file size is growing as I finish details, and Fusion is now using about 2 GB of RAM. I also have been submitting crash reports. I sometimes feel like I am outrunning Fusion when I work, and have to wait 10-12 seconds for a tool selection to register, for instance. I had not experienced that earlier.

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

Message 5 of 37
kat.ingalls
in reply to: Oceanconcepts

Hey guys! Let us know how it goes after the update today. Thanks for your patience and sticking with us. We're working hard to fix it 🙂

Kat

Fusion 360 Social & Community Manager
twitter: @adskFusion360
facebook: /fusion360
Message 6 of 37
Oceanconcepts
in reply to: kat.ingalls

Hi, Kat.

I've had a couple of crashes after the update, can't say if it's more or less as I didn't have all that many before, they seemed to come in batches. Last was in 3D sketching. I do continue to notice that Fusion will sometimes hesitate, with the spinning beach ball, for 5-10 seconds when I first select a command. It's almost as if it is grabbing instructions online.

I'm going to be starting with a new design, and will see if there is any change- I've been working on the same basic file for months and just sent it off, so it will be good to get into something else. 

Is there possibly a relation to RAM? I'm running with 8GB, and Fusion does seem to use a lot.

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

Message 7 of 37
mikegem
in reply to: kat.ingalls

I saw a novel (to me, anyway) instability after the update this morning, which has since disappeared. I used the 'Recent Documents' choice under File to open a design I'd worked on two days ago. Crash. Filed the CER, restarted F360, tried the exact same thing. Crash. Filed report. Restarted my MacBook Pro, tried same thing again. Crash. Filed CER. So - three times in a row, I was about to post it as a reproducible crash.

But first, I restarted F360 and opened the design from within the project->data path. Opened just fine. I closed it, then opened it again from the 'Recent Documents' function that had crashed three times - and it opened it just fine. So: instability vanished, stress level much reduced (the design is *really* important to me) and no reason to post a reproducible crash.

After that brief drama this morning, the update has worked well for me throughout the day.

Message 8 of 37
cekuhnen
in reply to: mikegem

In the past two days I tested Fusion 360 again and with each document the software crashed at one point.

That is still too much for me to let students work with it because the moment they will see how much Alias Automotive is more stable they will not touch Fusion. The problem with Fusion's crashes is also that data is lost completely on my side.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 9 of 37
zakaria_kassar
in reply to: cekuhnen

Hi, try this out, it actually worked remarkably well for me...

http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/24/speed-up-os-x-yosemite-mac/

Message 10 of 37
iwanPG89L
in reply to: zakaria_kassar

I hate to play Thread Necromancer here, but I'm experiencing the same problem as OP here.

I'm runnning Windows 10 and an i7 920 with a gt1030 and 8GB of RAM.

But the problem is the same on my PC at home, and i5 9600K with 8GB RAM and a GTX1080. So it's not hardware or setup related.

I think it just really hates unstable networks.

I can't work like this.

I uploaded a step file to just confirm my measurements for

Message 11 of 37
g-andresen
in reply to: iwanPG89L

Hi,

Share a design and say which processes cause problems.

günther

Message 12 of 37
iwanPG89L
in reply to: g-andresen

All of them. I will share a drawing tonight.

Thanks for the reply

Message 13 of 37
iwanPG89L

Like I'm clicking through tabs and it's hanging every time for at least 30 sec.

Opening a drawing will take 30 seconds and during that time you cant touch controls or it will cause a crash.

Hiding or showing a body. Etc.

How would you like the file shared?

Message 14 of 37
g-andresen

Hi,

Export > save locally as f3d > attach to your next post.

günther

Message 15 of 37
iwanPG89L
in reply to: g-andresen

Here is the file

Message 16 of 37
TrippyLighting

@iwanPG89L I've looked at your model and would strongly suggest that you go through one of the tutorial courses in the Lean & Support section. That will provide you with a better understanding of how to work in a parametric. modeling environment.

This model can be designed using 2 or 3 simple sketches and maybe a hand full of additional timeline features. Then changes can be made by editing the features in the timeline without having to add new features. 90% of the extrudes you have in the timeline are unnecessary.

Peter Doering
Message 17 of 37
TheCADWhisperer

@iwanPG89L wrote:

I hate to play Thread Necromancer here, but I'm experiencing the same problem as OP here.

I can't work like this.

I don't think this is the same problem.

You should have started a new thread and Attached you *.f3d file.

Your technique is severely flawed - do you have an interest in learning how to do this correctly?

Message 18 of 37
iwanPG89L
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Hi Trippy, thanks for the advice. I agree that the extrudes in this particular model are unnecessary, however they are like that for a reason. The case I worked from is a standard one, and is reused throughout multiple projects. We fit a PCB inside the case and need to cut, fit make small adjustments, repeat. Hence the multiple unnecessary extrudes.

Message 19 of 37
iwanPG89L
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

@TheCADWhisperer @TrippyLighting 

Also bear in mind, this was the first part I cadded when I started with Fusion about a year ago.

And yes. I'm always up for learning more. If you have a tutorial I can read through, I'd be delighted.

Should I start a new thread?

I don't feel the part is the problem. The problem persists over multiple accounts (The paid one we use at work, the private one I use at home on a student license) and multiple files.

Message 20 of 37
TheCADWhisperer

@iwanPG89L wrote:

@TheCADWhisperer @TrippyLighting 

Also bear in mind, this was the first part I cadded when I started with Fusion about a year ago.

The file that you attached is not at all instructive as it is very poorly done (for any reason).  I would expect to have issues.

What are you doing today?

Attach a file here that you completed today (or yesterday) that exhibits this issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report