Pointing Devices and Displays

Pointing Devices and Displays

Distinguished Contributor
kstate92
Message 1 of 5 (1,970 Views)

WinTab and TabletWorks (moved)

1970 Views, 4 Replies
08-16-2011 08:16 AM

My initial post was unintentionally placed in the AutoCAD 2010 forum instead of here (sorry about that).

Transitioning to Windows 7 64-bit and AutoCAD 2010.  A co-worker still uses a Summagraphics SummaSketch III via a parallel to serial port adapter.  Searching for Windows 7 64-bit drivers for this device, I came across the website vtablet.com that offered a 30-day trial ($75 purchase, IIRC) program.  The program installed but errored out when trying to launch it.

We've since installed the GTCO TabletWorks 10.9.24 package that was listed as Windows 7 compatible.  The tablet puck now works as a mouse in both Windows and AutoCAD 2010 (set to use current pointing device), but trying to turn on the Tablet function or use the Tablet > Configure menu entry results in the command line message along the lines of your device cannot be used as a tablet.  We have checked the WinTab box within the TabletWorks program, but still cannot set the device as a tablet.

So am I right in guessing the required WinTab driver does not come with Windows, AutoCAD, nor TabletWorks, but must be obtained seperately?  Where?

KState92
Inventor Professional 2014 64 SP2
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit - SP1
Xeon E5-1620
16 GB Ram
Quadro 4000
kstate92
Message 2 of 5 (1,965 Views)

Re: WinTab and TabletWorks (moved)

08-16-2011 11:00 AM in reply to: kstate92

Ahh; our admin had to turn off UAC and install VTI64B.exe himself.  That fixed the run error.  Funny that it even installed when we tried it as the local admin, though.

KState92
Xeon E5-1620
16 GB Ram
Quadro 4000
kstate92
Message 3 of 5 (1,961 Views)

08-16-2011 12:28 PM in reply to: kstate92

Oh spiffy; even with Virtual Tablet successfully installed, trying to turn on the Tablet function still returns the command line error.  Device manager still shows the tablet as Unrecognized Device, even though it can function as a Windows mouse.  WTH?

KState92
Xeon E5-1620
16 GB Ram
Quadro 4000
wkiernan
Message 4 of 5 (1,946 Views)

08-22-2011 07:54 AM in reply to: kstate92

I had a similar problem so I emailed vtablet.com.   It appears the Vtablet for  64-bit Windows only works as a Wintab 1.1 driver for 64-bit versions of AutoCAD.  If your version of AutoCAD is 32-bit, like the ones installed on this machine, you seem to be out of luck.

The only thing I really need from my tablet is use of the sixteen buttons, plus shift+buttons, plus ctrl+buttons.  I would prefer absolute pointing - where a point on the tablet is strictly mapped to a point on the screen, as opposed to mouse-like pointing where you can move the puck from a point on the tablet and then move it back to the same point, but the cursor will not necessarily be at the same point on the screen - but I can live without it.  I'm going to reinstall vtablet annd see if I can get it to report the 16 buttons as just mouse buttons, so I can get that function in 32-bit AutoCAD.

kstate92
Message 5 of 5 (1,942 Views)

08-22-2011 08:23 AM in reply to: wkiernan

We finally got it working, so I guess our Acad is 64-bit.  But it was such a long, convoluted trial and error process to get it working, I’m not sure we can repeat it without another massive struggle possibly involving a blood sacrifice.  Given that, I’m not thrilled with their locking the non-transferable license to the computer hardware as we usually replace our computers every three or four years.  File under: Cost of Doing Business, I suppose.

I can understand getting paid for his labor and time - especially making it work under 64-bit Windows - but, given that seemingly no one else offers this driver makes me think his licensing fees might be a tad unreasonable - if he even offers it.  I guess there are still some very hard feelings from the lawsuit - especially given the rather passive/aggressive explanation on the GTCO website.  It feels like a nasty divorce and all the users are the kids in the custody fight.  I don't know the whole back story, but I wonder if anyone has the movie rights nailed down yet.

KState92
Xeon E5-1620
16 GB Ram
Quadro 4000
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.