Pointing Devices and Displays

Pointing Devices and Displays

Solidous
Message 1 of 8 (536 Views)

Monitor question.

536 Views, 7 Replies
11-15-2010 08:46 AM

I’ve been looking at various widescreen monitors in the 24 inch / 300$ range. It seems that the newer LED monitors are nearly all 1920 x 1080 whereas to obtain higher resolutions, say 1920 x 1200 the older ccfl technology is still dominate, at least in this price range.

I need to purchase 10 of these so thanks in advance for any advice.

My users are running Autocad 2008.

*Pro
nestly
Message 2 of 8 (527 Views)

Re: Monitor question.

11-15-2010 11:26 AM in reply to: Solidous

$0.02

The Ribbon and wide screen monitors make a  terrible combination.  If you use, or are going to use the Ribbon, you'll want as many vertical pixels as possible to minimize space lost to the Ribbon.

Contributor
joeldf
Message 3 of 8 (485 Views)

11-29-2010 07:38 AM in reply to: nestly

nestly wrote:

$0.02

The Ribbon and wide screen monitors make a  terrible combination.  If you use, or are going to use the Ribbon, you'll want as many vertical pixels as possible to minimize space lost to the Ribbon.

I totally disagree with that statement.

Personally, I don't use the ribbon (hate it), but when it is used (such as in Revit where I have no choice), I have no problem with the ribbon and a widescreen monitor.

BTW, the OP said they were using Acad 2008 which did not have the ribbon yet.

Joel
*Pro
nestly
Message 4 of 8 (482 Views)

11-29-2010 08:32 AM in reply to: joeldf

"Totally disagree"?   So you think that further reducing the height of the drawing area relative to the width of the drawing area, which is inherit with wide screens is a good thing?  Fine if you do, but I prefer a drawing area that is a bit closer to the proportions of the paper I'll be printing to, rather than a drawing area that resembles a rear view mirror.   Also, I "totally" acknowledged his current situation when I said "If you use, or are going to use the Ribbon", or do you disagree that it's reasonable to consider that his company may upgrade to a newer version within the lifespan of the monitors?

Solidous
Message 5 of 8 (470 Views)

11-29-2010 09:11 AM in reply to: Solidous

I ended up with 1200s however the fact that the Ribbon has so much customization including undocking, anchoring left or right, auto hide, ribbon states, floating panels, etc. that using it may not be a critical factor in monitor selection.

I don’t personally use AutoCAD, but I download 2011 and during my reviews anchoring the Ribbon left and auto-hide seemed to be an awesome method of maximizing screen real-estate. I’m aware individual preferences play a role.

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 6 of 8 (234 Views)

06-13-2011 09:45 AM in reply to: Solidous

I suspect 6 months later you have already purchased but 2 more cents for the mill..

32" Sharp Aquos LCD TV with DVI to HDMI cable converter and a 20" Acer widescreen DVI

The LCD was in the $330 range and the Acer $130. Both work great.

Never really had a trouble with vertical real estate in 6+ years of widescreens but that could be that I have to zoom in to see what I want anyway...

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 7 of 8 (226 Views)

06-16-2011 06:15 AM in reply to: Charles_Shade

Dang, and I thought my 25" widescreen was huge :smileyhappy:

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 8 of 8 (220 Views)

06-16-2011 07:42 AM in reply to: pendean

The downside is you need a desk in the corner so that you can set the monitor about 4 feet away from you or you'll go blind.

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.