Pointing Devices and Displays

Pointing Devices and Displays

tim.hansen
Message 1 of 3 (337 Views)

CADPro and Vtablet

337 Views, 2 Replies
10-10-2011 02:29 PM

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that eventually I'm gonna have to go with a gaming mouse or just forget about multiple button input devices. It's really going to hurt giving up the 'ol 16 button puck.

My question is: Does anyone use a CalComp CADPro digitizer with Windows 7 and the Vtablet drivers successfully? I can't seem to get past the hardware connection problem; the tablet is a USB (or PS2) device and the Vtablet drivers only support serial interface. So far I haven't found a converter that is female USB to male Serial that will (hopefully) do the trick. Am I just wasting my time thinking I'll ever be able to bring my digitizer along in the future of Windows?

[on a personal note I'd like to comment that I just can't believe that the demand for multi-button input devices isn't more prominent in an application like AutoCAD. I can scarcely operate when I'm forced to use a mouse; all that typing and drilling down menus to find things. Quite unproductive.....:smileymad:]

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 2 of 3 (324 Views)

Re: CADPro and Vtablet

10-14-2011 01:14 PM in reply to: tim.hansen

Mice, keyboards, and numeric pads (like the Nostromo n52) produced for the gaming industry have pretty much rendered CAD-specific input devices like tablet pucks irrelevant.  Look around, there's plenty to choose from.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

tim.hansen
Message 3 of 3 (323 Views)

Re: CADPro and Vtablet

10-14-2011 01:49 PM in reply to: dgorsman

Yeah, I was afraid of that. It's just nice to be able to program the keys from within the AutoCAD menu rather than a button macro. There's just some things that can't be done with your run of the mill macro that are quite easy through the cui interface. I think it speaks more to the 'path of least resistance' rather relevance.  Anyway..... time moves on.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.