Pointing Devices and Displays

Pointing Devices and Displays

7 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 1 of 3

CADPro and Vtablet

349 Views, 2 Replies
10-10-2011 02:29 PM

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that eventually I'm gonna have to go with a gaming mouse or just forget about multiple button input devices. It's really going to hurt giving up the 'ol 16 button puck.

My question is: Does anyone use a CalComp CADPro digitizer with Windows 7 and the Vtablet drivers successfully? I can't seem to get past the hardware connection problem; the tablet is a USB (or PS2) device and the Vtablet drivers only support serial interface. So far I haven't found a converter that is female USB to male Serial that will (hopefully) do the trick. Am I just wasting my time thinking I'll ever be able to bring my digitizer along in the future of Windows?

[on a personal note I'd like to comment that I just can't believe that the demand for multi-button input devices isn't more prominent in an application like AutoCAD. I can scarcely operate when I'm forced to use a mouse; all that typing and drilling down menus to find things. Quite unproductive.....:smileymad:]

*Expert Elite*
5,745 Posts
501 Kudos
Post 2 of 3

Re: CADPro and Vtablet

10-14-2011 01:14 PM in reply to: tim.hansen

Mice, keyboards, and numeric pads (like the Nostromo n52) produced for the gaming industry have pretty much rendered CAD-specific input devices like tablet pucks irrelevant.  Look around, there's plenty to choose from.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

7 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 3 of 3

Re: CADPro and Vtablet

10-14-2011 01:49 PM in reply to: dgorsman

Yeah, I was afraid of that. It's just nice to be able to program the keys from within the AutoCAD menu rather than a button macro. There's just some things that can't be done with your run of the mill macro that are quite easy through the cui interface. I think it speaks more to the 'path of least resistance' rather relevance.  Anyway..... time moves on.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post