cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split "Item details" by workflow state and provide buttons to select state

Split "Item details" by workflow state and provide buttons to select state

Where a Workspace requires different pieces of data to be entered at different states in the workflow , it would be good to guide the user through the specific information they are required to add by defining fields (or sections) of the item details that correspond to specific workflow states.  In addition, it would be good to allow users who can change the workflow state to do this directly from the item details tab.

A good example of this is a Request for Information (RFI) workflow where one party wants to ask a question of another party and get a response.

For the given workflow below

PLM360_RFI_Workflow_Map.png

When a user is creating the RFI, they are given a response field, which is irrelevant at this stage.

PLM360_RFI_Create.png

Once created.  The recipient has to edit the RFI to add their response to the item details.

PLM360_RFI_View.png

User then needs to update the Workflow state to say they have added a response.

PLM360_RFI_Workflow_Actions_Current.png

Instead, it would be useful to give the user buttons to select the workflow state they want to move to based on the available states

PLM360_RFI_View_with_buttons.png

If selecting "Reply to RFI", the user would then be taken to an edit details page just allowing the fields associated to the "RFI Reply Sent" state to be edited.  This would drive user to follow the workflow required.

6 Comments
jared.sund
Alumni
Status changed to: Accepted
Paul, This is a very interesting idea. Workflow is one of those areas we’re continuously talking about, and this idea certainly adds to some of the ideas we’ve been throwing around. I’m going to move this idea to “Comments Requested”, and ask the PLM360 Product Manager who’s responsible for workflow to review this idea and join in the conversation. By the way, great idea and very well documented!!! -Jared
DonovanJr
Advocate

Yes,

This would apply to an information request work flow as well as a data entry work flow.

I.E. a RFQ workflow

First state  - preparing workflow the fields for supplying the costing information are not needed when the record is created

Second State - quoting, the details entered in the first state should be visible but not editable by say the supplier - only the costing fields are now visible and editable to be completed

There are many senarios like this where the user could get confused when the are looking at all the fields in either item details or even the grid as to what they need to complete. Notes on the workflow help but do not prevent errors.

Bob Donovan

obourne
Advocate

I like the idea. My company has a very similar process (we call if an RFD - request for data). Anything that can be done to reduce the amount of clicking around I support.

jared.sund
Alumni

While thinking a bit about this request, I'm wondering if looking at this from at different point of view might be interesting.  Infact, I'm wondering if there is a case here for automated workflow steps here?

Suppose you could apply validations to fields, workspace elements, etc.,  that trigger workflow actions when validations are met.  So, in addtion to the normal Workflow validation, you could also specific Workflow Actions to perform if specific conditions are met.

I'm thinking you could perform some of these use cases today with an On Item Details Edit behavior script.  The script could look at the current state of the item, field properties, etc..., and if all are met on an Item Details Edit..., performWorkflowAction().

Just thinking outloud here....

Hi there,

Due to the current direction of the product, we are not considering this idea for implementation at this time. Thank you for your contribution, every idea is welcome. We encourage your continued participation on the Idea Station.

Giliar Perez
Product Owner - Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk Canada Co.

Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea