cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Separate Administrator Permissions from Workspace Roles

Separate Administrator Permissions from Workspace Roles

Streamline the process for setting up administrator rights including better documentation regarding the Administration [SYSTEM] group and the workspace-agnostic Special Permissions (Administer Users, Setup Administration, and Share Reports).  It took me a while to figure out exactly what gives users administrator rights, and I'm still not exactly sure what the pros/cons of the system-protected group is vs using those workspace permissions.  It's confusing and illogical to include the administrator permissions in the workspace roles.

Thanks.

6 Comments
rnoriega
Enthusiast

I completely agree with you on this subject, this week we could not understand why one workspace is able to grant admin access to the whole system, and then trying to find which workspace is granting access. I myself did not understand the logic behind admin access on a workspace or the design intent. With all that said may I drag in the confusion of locking and unlocking sections of a workspace, I have users with different roles and groups that have access to edit, but some sections are open to edit while some sections are not. This could be a good PLM Talk event to resoleve the confusion and best practice for setting up user admin / workspace access.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Rick Noriega

Vacco Industries

Good idea Rick - I'll schedule a tech talk for September covering access controls/permissions and talk about best practices (for configuring the system as it is today).  We know there are a few site wide permissions (Set Up Administration, Administer Users) that when applied to a workspace have site wide ramifications and we're working on a better model.

Thanks,

Michelle

nguyentru
Alumni
Status changed to: Accepted

This is a good suggestions.  We are trying to help both users and administrators understand the process of setting up administrator rights. 

Besides the Wiki Help, we are also have video tutorial and Tips&Tricks sites to help provide more information.

We will take this into consideration, and will add this to our feature list.

thank you,

Trung

Status changed to: Under Review

Hi J,

Since this topic is over 6 months old, and we would like to review it in more detail internally in the context of Modern before potentially moving into a development backlog.

Giliar Perez
Product Owner - Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk Canada Co.

benderk
Autodesk
Thank you for submitting your idea. Have you tried the Modern Interface lately? We request that you review your idea in the context of the Modern interface. If your idea is not addressed, we invite you to create a new Idea in the context of Modern so that it can be addressed accordingly. Sincerely, Keri Bender | Global GTM Business Strategy Manager, Product Lifecycle Management
benderk
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report