cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent record editing by two uers at same time - prior to actual editing.

Prevent record editing by two uers at same time - prior to actual editing.

I was poised with the question on how PLM 360 handles multiple users (who have edit access to a record) who are in the same record editing various fields?  I know that the first person who saves wins and the other user(s) will receive a message that their view needs to be refreshed due to changes made by another user.  The issue here is that the other users don't know if someone else is editing when they are and they are only warned/told when someone makes a save (after the fact).  This means the other users will lose the data they just entered (by having to refresh thier view and then add their changes back in).

Customer wants to know if there is any way to allow users to know if some has started to edited data before they also start to edit data on the same record?

Thanks,

John

4 Comments
gasevsm
Alumni
PLM ensures conflict avoidance by first-save-wins rule. This idea is to improve the conflict resolution for the those that come second i.e. handle concurrent edits more gracefully than done today in PLM. As in above case, one way is to inform user that others are editing the same item. jdow, is it important to know that item is being edited by others, that an edited item is already edited and saved since their edit, or to handle the situation when those users save after someone else has saved just prior, even if they were the first to edit? Reason I'm asking is that the item may be updated via API eg. Integration several times while user sits in edit mode. To me, its valuable to ensure user's changes aren't all lost when they try to save by giving them a chance to recover. one example can be pull in others' changes, keep yours where not conflicting, show what changed and try to save again. Let's explore this more. Feel free to contact me directly.. Regards,
jdow
Advocate

Martin

Good points.  I also like those ideas too.  Much better ways in handling this situation where there are multiple possibilities.

I'll call you after the holiday break.

Thanks,

John

nguyentru
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Hi John,

We appreciate you taking the time to submit this idea to the Idea Station.

My colleague seems to be interested in your idea and hope to connect with you to gather additional information.

Thank you,

Trung

aaron.tw
Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report