cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Workspace Picklist

Multiple Workspace Picklist

I need to attach different parent workspaces to a Task item.

Picklist works great for one, but not more. I don't need multiple parents, but the option to tag alink to the parant from one of three workspaces.

6 Comments
jared.sund
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

DonovanJr
Advocate

Yes this would be a very usefull feature and eliminate both data entry errors and allow the display of related information through derived fields much more usefull.

A good example: SALES Quote / Order, with two supporting workspaces (Customer & Shipping Addresses)

In the Sales Quote you could have a Shipping Address Field picklist that is filtered / limitted to only those address records for the selected customer from the Customer picklist field.

jared.sund
Alumni

@DonovanJr, thanks for the feedback and example!

BiggePLM
Advocate

Another Example would be to have a picklist that it's source is one of two or more workspaces.

Which workspace is determined by either another picklist (equipment type) or check box (either/or)

The idea is that the user will select the equipment type (ie Equipment or Parts) and if the choose Equipment the other linking picklist will show records from an equipment workspace or if the select parts it shows records from a Parts Workspace. Funtioning similar to filtered picklists where the selection in one field limits or sets records shown in another.

I am currently doing this with three fields in my Equipment Inventory workspace

field one is Record type (Part or Equipment)

Field two is linked picklist to parts workspace

Field three is equipment workspace

I then have an on create script that validates the record type and checks that a selection was made in the appropriate linked picklist based on the type selection.

This is used to essentially define the Autonumber Sequencer to use when assiging the inventory record ID.

It works but leaves a messy workspace and if no selection is made in the linked picklist no way to assign the Appropriate Record Sequencer. Which for now I have a third computed field that display an error message to the user the record is incomplete. It does not force the record to be corrected. Leave a gap in my process.

DonovanJr

aaron.tw
Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

ThomasRambach
Advisor

I thought this was a great idea and it definitely would simplify our processes. I have a task workspace where I have a field that links to a related item. Instead of having multiple fields linking to different workspace items based on the task type, I could have a single field link to the related item if this was implemented. 

I vote to un-archive this idea.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report