cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clear all button on Item detail section bar title/header

Clear all button on Item detail section bar title/header

Please can you add a function button to the section bar/title/header that allows in edit mode all information held within the section to be cleared. I have a product spec sheet that is segmented in to many sections. Several of these sections are set up to specifically pull derived data from other work spaces, however if an incorrect selection has been made you have to manually delete every entry in to each field, this can be quite tedious.

For example, we design light fittings, so my product specification card has a section specifically for lamp information. I have a workspace that holds all the data for each lamp in a separate workspace for each lamp.

In my product specification card within the lamp section, you select from a drop down the type of lamp included in the product. This selection then pulls relevant information from the lamp workspace record and populates the remaining fields within this section of the product spec card.

If I select for example a E14 lamp, other information from the derived fields are completed automatically, but if I want to change to E27, then I need to manually delete from each fields in the section the data pulled in.

If there was a clear section button on t e section bar/title/header, this would make changing data for the whole section much quicker and more user friendly.

Not everyone would need this function, and security may be an issue for some people, but this could be selected within the Roles and permissions like the UNDO button is turned on and off.

Here is an example of what would be good, clear section button shown on far right of the section bar.

Clear section mock up.jpg

11 Comments
gasevsm
Alumni

interesting request.  Curious about your comment.

> [...] if I want to change to E27, then I need to manually delete from each fields in the section the data pulled in.

Isn't the case that as you initially selected an E14 lamp, the derived fields are automatically populated, the case for sleecting E27 would be the exact same experience.  I'm failing to grasp something, so appreciate the clarity.

Thanks,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry I have used the wrong section to illustrate my request, however my request still stands. looking at the correct section of my product card "Power source information" with derived pick lists, still pulling from another workspace. Unless all the information is deleted in each field then the filter function when picking the first set of data from the top pick list does not work.

Unfortunately the way we set up the light source information that I used in the original post to illustrate this would not work for this section of the product card. Creating the power source section in this way, gives a unique design selection tool that helps my engineers narrow the selection of power source available, as they make the selections on each pick list.

A clear section button would be great for removing all information in a section in one go if needed. Im sure this may be of use for other areas if used as a selection tool?

Here is a image of the correct section used to illustrate this idea.

Clear section mock up.jpg

gasevsm
Alumni
I see. So it seems this is about filtered picklists and not derived fields pivoting around a picklists. Your idea is clear and I agree to a point; have slated a future enhancement to [clear] the field as well as [clear related] fields in a filtered picklist set when you select any of the fields in that set. This will not be section based because fields belonging to a filtered picklist set can be found and setup across multiple sections, some of which may be read-only, locked or even invisible to user. Hope this is clear, no pun intended ))
Anonymous
Not applicable
I see, but you do only want to clear the information selected in that section only and not affect any information in other sections of the same or related workspaces.

Stuart Wells
Product Development Manager
M: +44 (0) 7912 733508
😧 +44 (0) 1279 773858
T: +44 (0) 1279 427001
www.astrolighting.co.uk

Astro Lighting Ltd

Astro Lighting is a limited company registered in England and Wales
Registered office: G2 River Way, Harlow CM20 2DP
Registered number: 3314935
Maybe for now add a blank record in the filtered pick list called 'clear values' this record has blank/empy values then when you select it it will clear the fields or at least add a blank
gasevsm
Alumni
@Stuart, FPL is a set - its goal is to identify a single item based on choices in the set. So clearing all will be across the set regardless where the set's components reside. @Mike, Need both actually. There is a need to clear only one value in the field filter picklist set and choose a different option but leave the remaining fields' values as is. as well as clear it and all its related fields. HTH,
Anonymous
Not applicable
@gasevsm, just to be clear on this subject, I don't want to clear or erase data from where it lives in it's original workspace where the data lives, just where I am using it within an additional workspace as a derived pick list. This is where a clear section button would be beneficial. I am more than happy to demonstrate this in a Skype call where I can share my screen with you if needed. How we are using the section in the product card is working great as a design selection tool where we have thousands of options to choose from, it's just a pain needing to manually clear each field back to an empty field before the pick lists work again. This could be the start of other function buttons confined just to the separate sections of the item details maybe?

Stuart Wells
😧 +44 (0) 1279 773858
www.astrolighting.co.uk

Astro Lighting Ltd

gasevsm
Alumni
Its clear. There is no data deletion at the source. Simply clearing the selection at the destination so you may select anew from the same source.
nguyentru
Alumni
Status changed to: Accepted

Hi Stuart,

Our PM team appreciate you taking the time to submit this new interesting idea.

It is always great to see new Ideas and Requests that are being posted on the Idea Station.

Your idea has been accepted.  We will work on getting this idea in our future release.

Thank you,

Trung

Anonymous
Not applicable
Excellent news. This will be a great addition.

Stuart Wells
😧 +44 (0) 1279 773858
www.astrolighting.co.uk

Astro Lighting Ltd

Status changed to: Gathering Support

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report