cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better BOM handling between workspaces

Better BOM handling between workspaces

After having become more familar with PLM it appears to me that the BOM handling across workspaces are lacking.

I like the idea of having multiple workspaces because it allows me to collect different information for different types of items. 

But I have come to the conclusion that this is simply not viable at this point, because:

1) PLM does not support BOM import when it references items in other workspaces. (It is possible manually)

2) Even if I did add them all manually, I cannot create a BOM view that includes my custom fields from other workspaces because the BOM view can only see the Descriptor field from other workspaces.

The result of this is that I have to put everything in a common workspace have have to clutter up the item details with a lot of fields that does not apply.

Proposed improvement

1) Include cross-workspace BOM import

2) More configurale BOM view, where I can specify the FIELDNAME (could be free text) for each column. If the FIELDNAME does not exist for a specific item/WS on the BOM, just leave it blank. For example: If I am referencing 3 different workspaces in a BOM and 2 of them has a field called PART_NUMBER, I would expect the value to be inserted if available, otherwise left blank/null.

5 Comments
nguyentru
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration
Hello plmadmin, We appreciate your submission, and we will add this to our future enhancement list. thanks, Trung
richard.fear
Explorer

Have there been any enhancements since this post ?

I too would prefer to manage part records in more than one workspace and reference these in BOMs.

For example, one workspace for bought out finished items / standard components and another for made in items.

To add to the discussion, I feel that, user should have ability to create its own BOM views and compare it with different versions of the BOM, which is nicely captured by creating baselines. 

benderk
Autodesk
Thank you for submitting your idea. Have you tried the Modern Interface lately? We request that you review your idea in the context of the Modern interface. If your idea is not addressed, we invite you to create a new Idea in the context of Modern so that it can be addressed accordingly. Sincerely, Keri Bender | Global GTM Business Strategy Manager, Product Lifecycle Management
benderk
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report