cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow Preview of the Attached File but Restrict Download

Allow Preview of the Attached File but Restrict Download

Currently any attachment that is uploaded on PLM360 for a specific item can be downloaded from a user if the correct permission is granted.

If it was possible for a user to only have the preview functionality in the attachment tab permissible, that would be very beneficial in regards to security. This would allow users the access to view the attachment without having the threat of intellectual property being distributed.

Below is an image of the attachments tab. If the links circled below were removed or hidden, that would provide a suitable solution were the user wouldn’t be able to download the attachment.

Also if it were possible to view a larger preview of the attachment, that would enhance the user experience.

plm.png

7 Comments
zep.tyrushudson
Enthusiast

Thanks for posting this Asingh5, I have similar issues related to attachments and permissions.  I would like to be able to assign permissions for each attachment.  For example, I may have 5 attachments to an item and I want each attachment to have a different permission setting.

I could imagine a "settings" pop-up for each attachment where you could assign view and download permissions, similar to how permissions can be assigned for each section in Item Details tab.  This should accomplish what you are looking for too.

pavel.zak
Contributor

Very nice would be improving of attached files preview. Now is here limitation of 248kB and small size of preview. I cann´t download every file which I need to see. Should be possible do any solution like has Outlook, please? May be some button for quick preview ishould be sufficient...

Pavel

nguyentru
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration
This is a good request. We will add this to the feature list. Continue submitting great ideas!
nguyentru
Alumni
Status changed to: Accepted

swells
Contributor

Could the preview be expanded to read other file formats such as MSWord and MSExcel? I have MSExcel attachments that it would be great if people could see a full sized preview of without the need to download and check out before being able to see the content of the file.

Hello @Asingh5,

This feature is currently under development in our roadmap in context of Modern. Stay tuned for updates.

Giliar de Fries Perez
Product Owner - Fusion Lifecycle - Autodesk Inc.

jeremy_lambert
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This feature was implemented in the February 6th, 2019 release. Details below.

New features and enhancements

• Added the capability to revoke Download attachments permissions from users.

• The new permission is called Download attachments, and has been added to all roles that contain View attachments permissions.
    • By removing the Download attachments permission from the roles, admins can prevent attachments from being downloaded using the Modern interface, or the v3/v1 APIs. Users may only view an attachment in the browser, when the Download attachments permission is removed.
    • The Classic interface does not support Download attachment permissions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report