cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Able to sort BOM list after new item is added

Able to sort BOM list after new item is added

Hi,

I had always find sorting the BOM a really headache whenever I add or remove items from my BOM.

The items in a BOM is tag to a running number.

See attched screen shot example. I had removed item 1.74 from my BOM and I need to add another 5 items into the BOM but my nightmare is that the BOM is not sorted according to the item number. If I need to add 5 items, it will appeared right at the end of the list. If I want to have them probably sorted, I need to make changes to the running number one by one.

Can I suggest that the BOM item list should be sorted according to their item number or may be a sort button provide to users to give them a choice to choose to sort their BOM.

Thank you.

Regards,

Carol Mak

7 Comments
nguyentru
Alumni

Hi Carol,

This is an interesting request.  It seems like you have a very complex BOM structure. 

We will take your request into consideration, and add to our future enhancement list.

Thanks,

Trung

nguyentru
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

ernest
Contributor

agreed.

it's very common practice to replace one part in an assy with another, while you have an Assy Dwg that points to the Items on the BOMs by their Item Numbers.

changing Item 3 on a BOM from A to B should not necessitate going back to the CAD model to revise it to match because PLM360 can't change the part and keep the same Item Number, so it should be simple to revise the Item Number(s) on a BOM.

cheers!

e

gasevsm
Alumni
Hi Carol, If a user expands the BOM hierarchy to levels below first children, and sorts the list by some manual way, what is our expectation of how the tree control would be sorted for immediate children and sub-, sub- children? Would you limit the sorting order to first level children of the item whose BOM you're evaluating or propagate the sort throughout the hierarchy tree? Additionally, I'm curious as to your opinion on the persistence of that sort order, as in your BOM line item 1.74 remains to be 1.74 even though at some moment in time user decided to sort it such that it appears eg. last in the list? Would this be satisfactory behavior? Finally, when to sort - in BOM view mode or edit mode as well, and if agree with latter cam you provide use case so I understand this better please? Thank you in advance, -- mg
MJ-Carol
Enthusiast

Hi Permalink,

I had put together some information into an attachment, however, I cannot do an attachment over here. Will you provide me an email that I can send to so you can have a look and see if I have the answers to some of your questions.

Feel free to clarify again if you need to, I will be more than happy to provide my feedback.

Best regards,

Carol

benderk
Autodesk
Thank you for submitting your idea. Have you tried the Modern Interface lately? We request that you review your idea in the context of the Modern interface. If your idea is not addressed, we invite you to create a new Idea in the context of Modern so that it can be addressed accordingly. Sincerely, Keri Bender | Global GTM Business Strategy Manager, Product Lifecycle Management
benderk
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report