Fusion Manage Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Fusion Manage (formerly Fusion 360 Manage) Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Fusion Manage topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

workflow progress

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
sten
358 Views, 3 Replies

workflow progress

Is there a way to the the current progress on a workflow controlled item without having to create milestones.

I have a workflow will several states and I would like to track the progress in a higher level schedule.

I realize I could add a milestone on each state, but  because the workflow has several shortcuts I may actually not enter/leave all of them.

I would like to just set a milestone on a final state of the workflow, but the manually set the progress through a action script.

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jared.sund
in reply to: sten

Hello Sten, 

I'm wondering if you could just set/create the milestones dynamically as workflow transitions are completed to push up status to your project?  You'd have to review your workflow transitions and logic to understand when to create a new milestone or update existing ones.  Here's a function that may be helpful to you.

-Jared

/*
functionality: Create a single MS set to today's date.  Useful when triggered 
                in conjunction with a workflow set to set the milestone based on
                When the actual WF was triggered
input  :    WFstates(associative array) -- Key(string) = Workflow State Name, 
            progress -- Value(int) 0-100 representing % complete

return :
example: createSingleState('50% Complete', 50)

*/

function createSingleState(wfState, progress)
{
    var milestoneExists = false;

//adjust existing milestone date
    for(var milestoneIndex in item.milestones){
        if(item.milestones[milestoneIndex].workflowStateName  === wfState){
            milestoneExists = true;
            //Update the date and the warning window
            item.milestones[milestoneIndex].milestoneDate = new Date();
            item.milestones[milestoneIndex].warnThreshold = 0;
            break;   
        }
    }

if(milestoneExists === false){

var newMileStone = item.addMilestone();

//set the new milestone properties
        newMileStone.setWorkflowState(wfState);
		newMileStone.milestoneType = 'ENTER';
		newMileStone.milestoneDate = new Date();
		newMileStone.warnThreshold = 0;
		newMileStone.progress = progress;

}
}

Jared Sund
Sr. Product Line Manager, Product Lifecycle Management
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 4
sten
in reply to: jared.sund

I do something similar on some of my other workflows. 

By problem with that method is that it generates a lot of action scripts. Especially because I already have action scripts in this workflow.

It makes it impossible to reuse in a elegant way.

Thinking about it, then maybe what I want is the ability to have multiple action scripts on a workflow transition. 

Also, another problem with building up the milestones dynamically is 'return for correction loops' i the workflow. In that case I would have to delete milestones since I may not hit them the second time through the workflow.

For larger workflow the logic behind dynamically creating and deleting milestones quickly becomes convoluted and very difficult to maintain/support.

Message 4 of 4
sara.murray
in reply to: sten

Hi,

What about something like the following? The set up is to have items with workflow (WF) in one workspace and another workspace with Project Management (PM) functionality that is linked to the first one.

• On PM tab, Add Linked Items
  • Have an on-demand script in the PM workspace that will change the % complete of the WF items to various percentages based on the WF state and a pre-set table in the script--100% if the final WF state has been reached
  • When reject loops happen or if WF states are skipped, the on-demand script simply adjusts the current progress accordingly

Caveats: Filling in milestones on the linked items interferes with this approach. Also, an item is colored either green (end date has not been reached OR item is complete) or red (end date has been exceeded) without an in-between yellow identifier as a warning.

Attached is a screenshot with an example of this approach.

Sara Murray

Razorleaf Corp.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report