Fusion Manage Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Fusion Manage (formerly Fusion 360 Manage) Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Fusion Manage topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REST Add Items question

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
wangdu
808 Views, 11 Replies

REST Add Items question

Hi,

I have tried sending a JSON string e.g. 

[{
    "fields": {
        "TITLE": "Ultrabright Flashlight (Red)",
        "USE_AUTO_DESCRIPTION": "false",
        "ITEM_CATEGORY": 101
    }
}]

Where the fields TITLE and ITEM_CATEGORY are mandatory.

And I get back the following error: 

{
    "errorCode": "GEN_ILLEGAL_INPUT_VALUE",
    "message": "At least one of the input values was set to an illegal value.",
    "params": null,
    "url": null
}

I have tried many variations of the above JSON string with the same above error.

Can someone please provide me an example for creating an item in a workspace using REST?

wangdu

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Redmond.D
in reply to: wangdu

"fields" is a string to string map, so everything has to be quoted.  So the ITEM_CATEGORY value should be "101" even if the field is defined as an integer.

If ITEM_CATEGORY is a picklist, then you need to use "picklistFields" instead of "fields".

If you are stuck on the format, a good technique is to create the item manually then view the JSON version of the Item by calling "/api/v2/workspaces/{workspaceId}/items/{itemId}"

NOTE:  ItemId is sometimes called "dmsId" in scripts and end-user URLs.

Lastly, I don't recommend using strings to create the JSON.  I prefer to create an Object and use a JSON library to serialize/deserialize.

Doug Redmond
Software Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 12
wangdu
in reply to: Redmond.D

I was trying out direct json string since I was unable to properly execute using json serialize/deserialize. I wanted to see some json string that actually gets executed successfully.

As of now, I have been able to successfully create/update item in a simpler workspace (fields without picklists fields). But I still have trouble creating item with linked-picklist field with SELECTION_REQUIRED type (see below). 

My question referring to the mandatory picklistfields is: Does an id suffice or should it require all the values (id, displayName, itemUrl)? 

[{
  "fields": {
    "TITLE": "hello"
  },
  "picklistFields": {
    "ITEM_CATEGORY": [{
      "id": 101,
      "itemUrl": "https://xxxxxx.autodeskplm360.net/api/v2/workspaces/12/items/101"
    }]
  }
}]

The above request still fails with the same error mentioned in the previous post.

Regards,

Wangdu

Message 4 of 12
Redmond.D

I recommeding calling /api/v2/workspaces/{workspaceId}/item-fields/{fieldDefinitionId}/values to get the list of valid selections.  Once you find the entry you want, use the entire PicklistValue when updating the item.

I'm curious as to what your serialization problems are.  I might be able to help.

Doug Redmond
Software Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 12
wangdu

Hello again,

I have tried your suggestion (got the entire possible values) and used one of them (entire picklistfields value) with same error.

I have tried also using .net object and then JSON serialize with the same output as the example and of course the same error message.

When I request for an item at /api/v2/workspaces/{workspaceid}/items/{itemid}, i get the following result. (This item was created through web interface filling up only the two (TITLE and ITEM_CATEGORY) mandatory fields)

{
  "id" : 1377,
  "rootId" : 1377,
  "version" : 1,
  "revision" : null,
  "workspaceId" : 8,
  "url" : "https://xxxxx.autodeskplm360.net/api/v2/workspaces/8/items/1377",
  "itemDescriptor" : " - ",
  "deleted" : false,
  "isWorkingVersion" : true,
  "isLatestVersion" : true,
  "fields" : {
    "NUMBER" : null,
    "TITLE" : "test test test",
    "USE_AUTO_DESCRIPTION" : "true",
    "DESCRIPTION" : "",
    "UNIT_OF_MEASURE" : null,
    "COMMENTS" : null,
    "DIM_VALUE_1" : null,
    "DIM_VALUE_2" : null,
    "DIM_VALUE_3" : null,
    "DIM_VALUE_4" : null,
    "DIM_VALUE_5" : null,
    "DIM_VALUE_6" : null,
    "BILD" : null,
    "CAD_FILE_NAME" : null
  },
  "picklistFields" : {
    "ITEM_CATEGORY" : [ {
      "id" : 101,
      "displayName" : "10 - Hauptbaugruppe (Produkt)",
      "itemUrl" : "https://xxxxxx.autodeskplm360.net/api/v2/workspaces/12/items/101"
    } ],
    "LEVEL_1" : null,
    "LEVEL_2" : null,
    "LEVEL_3" : null,
    "CLASS_NUMBER" : null,
    "CLASS_DESCRIPTION" : null,
    "DIM_TYPE_1" : null,
    "DIM_UNIT_1" : null,
    "DIM_SEP_1" : null,
    "DIM_TYPE_2" : null,
    "DIM_UNIT_2" : null,
    "DIM_SEP_2" : null,
    "DIM_TYPE_3" : null,
    "DIM_UNIT_3" : null,
    "DIM_SEP_3" : null,
    "DIM_TYPE_4" : null,
    "DIM_UNIT_4" : null,
    "DIM_SEP_4" : null,
    "DIM_TYPE_5" : null,
    "DIM_UNIT_5" : null,
    "DIM_SEP_5" : null,
    "DIM_TYPE_6" : null,
    "DIM_UNIT_6" : null,
    "DIM_SEP_6" : null,
    "LINKED_CLASS" : [ {
      "id" : -999,
      "displayName" : null,
      "itemUrl" : "https://xxxxxx.autodeskplm360.net/api/v2/workspaces/50/items/-999"
    } ]
  }
}

The workspace in question is "Items and BOMs" and created by another colleague of mine. Do you think this workspace can't be filled with arbitrary items? (But I have been able to create item through web interface with just the TITLE and a value from the Dropdown list!) 😞

Regards,

Wangdu

Message 6 of 12
Redmond.D

I can reproduce the issue with my "Items and BOMs" workspace.  I'll investigate further and let you know what I find. 

Also, it's on my to-do list to provide information on which fields failed during a GEN_ILLEGAL_INPUT_VALUE failure.

Doug Redmond
Software Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 12
Daniel.Du

FYI, we have some samples on github about PLM360 REST API : 

https://github.com/ADN-DevTech/PLM360-API-Samples 

Daniel Du
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 8 of 12
wangdu
in reply to: Daniel.Du

Thank you for the samples. I will surely make use of it.

Wangdu

Message 9 of 12
Redmond.D

The 9.2 version of PLM 360 was just deployed this weekend, and it contains some REST fixes.  You should now be able to add and update items by passing in a valid picklist value.

Unforunately, there is still an open issue.  If you try to pass in null or omit a filtered picklist field, then you still get the GEN_ILLEGAL_INPUT_VALUE error.  We are currently working to address this issue.

Doug Redmond
Software Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 12
wangdu

I have tried adding an item with a fixed picklist and it worked.

The one for Items and Boms has several filtered picklists and I looked for them after going through your reply. Definitely, the request ends up with GEN_ILLEGAL_INPUT_VALUE  error for omission as well as null values. FYI, I tried specifying each one a possible picklist value {id,displayname and itemurl} and it also ended up with GEN_ILLEGAL_INPUT_VALUE error.

Thanks for your support.

Message 11 of 12
Redmond.D

I recommend avoiding the Items and BOMs workspace until all the filtered picklist issues have been addressed.  That workspace has a painful amount of filtered picklists.

Here are some of the open issues that could be causing your error:

• The API call that gets the field values shows incorrect DisplayName if it's a filtered picklist displaying a field other than Descriptor.
  • There is currently no API call to see the valid picklist values based on what has been selected in other picklists.  This is for cases where there are multiple filtered picklists based off the same Workspace.

Doug Redmond
Software Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 12 of 12
wangdu

Thank you. I will move on with your recommendation and look forward for the next versions. 

Regards,

Wangdu

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report