Fusion Manage Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Fusion Manage (formerly Fusion 360 Manage) Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Fusion Manage topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLM 360 and Vault Pro Positioning

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
eddieemmet
4040 Views, 10 Replies

PLM 360 and Vault Pro Positioning

Hi, everyone

I'm trying to understand how PLM 360 relates to the Vault products.

Definitely don't need to be sold on Vault itself -- great product at the perfect price. A must-have for PDM.

I'm also getting the PLM side of things and PLM 360. But where does Vault Professional fit in? I saw a brief video here about an integration between PLM 360 and Vault Professional, but what is the best thing for a company that has neither?

I had implemented Productstream at a former company. Is that what become Vault Pro? Is PLM 360 a replacement for it? Is the integration only interesting for legacy customers?

Or, are there reasons why you would want to buy both Vault Pro and PLM 360? Thanks for any comments / experience anyone would like to share.

Edward

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
broepke
in reply to: eddieemmet

Hi There - Vault Pro is essentially the new name for the Productstream of the past.  We have put two other versions of Vault inbetween Vault Basic and Vault Pro (Workgroup / Collaboration) but if you used Productstream - that's Vault Professional.

If you want to manage your design data (Inventor, AutoCAD, etc...) you will use Vault.  If you want to manage business processes and deal with the entire lifecycle beyond just managing CAD data, then you want to leverage PLM 360.  In many cases companies will want to use both, especially if they use Autodesk design tools.

Hope this helps!

Brian Roepke
Director, Analytics & Insights
Message 3 of 11
eddieemmet
in reply to: broepke

Thanks, Brian, that's helpful.

Productstream/Vault Pro seemed baiscally like a PLM system on top of vault. But, the buseinss modelling framework in PLM 360 seems stronger with custom workspaces, scripting, etc. Just the link-up with vault seems more tenuous.

I guess it makes sense to keep Vault Basic for PDM and then choose EITHER Vault Pro OR PLM 360 for PLM, but not both, is that right?

Message 4 of 11
michelle.stone

Here's a chart to show the differences and overlap between PDM and PLM:

pdm_plm.png

Hope that helps as well.

Michelle

Michelle Stone
Technical Marketing, PDM & PLM
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 11
eddieemmet
in reply to: michelle.stone

The graphic is good; I'll share this with my colleagues.

Looking at the overlap, I guess if all I have is basic Vault, then there's no sense in getting Vault Pro -- I can just go to PLM 360 directly and get everything I need. Is that true?

Or do I need Vault Pro for the integration piece to PLM 360?

Basically, if I have Inventor, AutoCAD and basic Vault, but I now want PLM (not just Items and changes, but also especially supplier management and project management), what's the best path to get there? Skip Vault Pro & get 360, or do both?

Thanks,

Edward 

Message 6 of 11
dvirh

Edward,

The current integration between Vault and PLM 360 allows for reflecting the Item data and BOM from Vault into PLM 360 to support follow on workflows in PLM 360 that utilizes this data. It only works with Vault Professional.

Hagay Dvir
Engineering Manager
Fusion Manage
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 11
eddieemmet
in reply to: dvirh

Ah, okay. Then I guess you need Vault Professional to use PLM 360 effectively. Thanks
Message 8 of 11
scottmoyse

Considering the Vault BOM is built up from the CAD software's BOM there would be ways and means to integrate that information from Inventor directly to PLM 360. I'm no AutoCAD expert but its likely you could do it with AutoCAD Mechanical etc.. with a small amount of customisation it would be quite effective, depending on the results you want at the end of it all.

With Inventor you could just export the top level BOM as an Excel spreadsheet and import it into PLM 360. Obviously this means you wouldn't have some of the good Item tools available within Vault Pro and you wouldn't have the Read Only sync tool between Pro & PLM 360, which is very handy for bulk uploading Item data on state changes etc.. Its also worth noting the sync tool is only available for subscription customers at this stage.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 9 of 11
eddieemmet
in reply to: scottmoyse

This has led to a lot of discussion on our side. Maybe instead of asking for advice about my solutions which I don't understand well, maybe I should just state the problem & get your solution ideas:

Suppose I have Inventor and Vault, not Vault Pro. I also do a good bit of electrical design on the Cadence flow. The Cadence parts database is sitting in an Access Database (I know -- terrible).

I see a lot of value not just in item & BOM management, but also especially programme and quality management, along with the 360 flexibility. Definitely can see letting EMS folks into my 360 instance. The whole thing ideally should hook up with Oracle in some form (just release the items & BOMs to procude & manufacture). Periodically I do want to do mass updates of status, pricing, etc in the PLM system.

I guess that's a pretty typical situation. What flow do you recommend to such customers? 

I have used Productstream and saw value in this. I am open to Vault Pro & Sync'ing it, but also it seems funny to have two PLM systems (Vault Pro & 360). I love the seamless link into Vault Pro, would be a pitty if the link to 360 weren't that tight. Anyway, whatever works. What dos your typical customer do? Thanks,

Edward

Message 10 of 11
broepke

Well stated - Thanks for clarifying your situation.  Let me add some recomendations below.

I see a lot of value not just in item & BOM management, but also especially programme and quality management, along with the 360 flexibility. Definitely can see letting EMS folks into my 360 instance. The whole thing ideally should hook up with Oracle in some form (just release the items & BOMs to procude & manufacture). Periodically I do want to do mass updates of status, pricing, etc in the PLM system.

I guess that's a pretty typical situation. What flow do you recommend to such customers? 

I think you're spot on with your vision here.  PLM 360 hooked up to Oracle and pushiing BOM data but also receiving data on cost, etc back from Oracle.  Totally typical situation and we can help you with this.  We use a tool that allows us to easily communicate with Oracle and PLM 360 and it is more straight forward than you might think.  The best bet right now for this is to work directly with Autodesk and we can help you out (DM me if you need - I can get you in contact with someone.)

I have used Productstream and saw value in this. I am open to Vault Pro & Sync'ing it, but also it seems funny to have two PLM systems (Vault Pro & 360). I love the seamless link into Vault Pro, would be a pitty if the link to 360 weren't that tight. Anyway, whatever works. What dos your typical customer do? Thanks,

Don't think of it as two PLM systems.  Vault (Pro or Basic or any other flavor) is really purpose built to get the most out of managing design data.  As you can imagine this is highly specialized and complicated.  3D assemblies from tools like Inventor or even DWGs with X-refs and all the attributes inside take a bunch of special knowlege to extract that data and Vault is built for that.  PLM 360 on the other hand is light, fast and flexible for all the processes you need to do downstream.   The key like the slide shows is that the "link" bettween the two is that Item in Vault pro and in turn the Item in PLM 360.  There are so many other processes you can do in PLM 360 that will reference the item once it's in PLM 360.  Whether you want purchasing to do an RFQ process on it and find a supplier, you might want Quality to do inspections and so on.  All of these things can link to the item that was sync'd and then the process can be performed from there.  There are also many other processes that won't ever touch an Item like project management.  These are in PLM 360 as well.

So - General recomendation.  If you want to extract that knowledge out of the CAD data and automatically put that into PLM 360 you can use Vault Pro.  If you want to manually do this (Scott mentioned dumping XLS out of Inventor) you can do this as well and simply import the data into PLM 360 (it has a great Excel import tool).  It's really about where your priorities are.  Vault Basic will just manage the designs for the team.  Not the release of them and certainly not the automated sync to PLM 360... But if it's working for now, for your design data.  Then starting with PLM 360 to accomplish the above (top paragraph) is a perfect place to look.  It's perfect for that and of course once you have it - you can leverage it for SO much more.

Sorry for the long answer- but seems important enough to give it some time 🙂

Brian Roepke
Director, Analytics & Insights
Message 11 of 11
eddieemmet
in reply to: broepke

Hi, Brian

Your answer is very helpful. I think the import features provide a good enough bridge now. It may make sense to by-pass Vault Pro. Obviously, if a company already has Vault Pro, it would probably make sense to keep it.

I have not had any success in understanding the file manipulation in the REST API. Scripting or coding some kinds of operations would be useful. I see how this works for the meta-data, but not for files.

I posted something under another thread called "Getting Files with the API". Perhaps someone will help out. In any case, I'm sure it will be possible somehow. I think I got the help I needed on the positioning topic. Thank you very much

Edward

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report