Fusion Manage Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Fusion Manage (formerly Fusion 360 Manage) Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Fusion Manage topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Liefcycle States - Numeric vs. Alpha

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
DonovanJr
560 Views, 2 Replies

Liefcycle States - Numeric vs. Alpha

I need to better understand the difference between the two life cycle paths.

Under Change Orders the lifecycle is from Unreleased to Production - in each phase there is the ability to revise the version (numeric) and only when you get to the Production state does the Revision change to Alpha.

Under the document control lifecycle the transtion is from Unreleased to Active and only the version (numberic) is changed.

in each transition the working version of the item is updated at the managed state transition in the workflow - regardless of the type of transition (revision or release), it appears that the same update mechanisim is at work. But i believe that only alpha or production lifecycle restricts access to the released versions of the item records?

In my tenant I chose to utilize the simpler document control lifecylce for my item revisioning, therefore I only have Unreleased and Active items with numeric versions.

Either my permissions are set incorrectly or I am missing something as currently I can edit the item details regardless if I am editing the working version or the currently active version revision.

I do want to utilize the practice of only allowing editing of the working version of the item and using the change order workflow to update or release those edits but I don't need the additional cycles.

Please point me to better understanding of the lifecycles and their meanings. the guides don't mention the condition I found myself in currently and If in need to make a custom lifecylce utilizing production state etc. I need to set that up.

Regard

Bob Donovan

Bigge Power Constructors

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
michelle.stone
in reply to: DonovanJr

Bob - see if this tutorial helps - it goes in more detail about using the lifecycle phases to control revisions.  Also, I just added a PLM Talk topic coming up on lifecycles and revisioning this morning (we'll have it January 9, 2013).   

Hope it helps!

Michelle

Michelle Stone
Technical Marketing, PDM & PLM
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 3
DonovanJr
in reply to: michelle.stone

Actually I figured it out partly.

I had recently set-up a new role for items & BOMs to separate some of the Admin permissions, such as undo workflow step and "Overide Revision Control locks" so that is why I could revise versions other than the working version. So that was easy and thank you for the link to the tutorial it reconfirmed what I was missing about the lifecylces.

But,

I did notice that no matter what any user with edit writes to the sourcing tab in Items and BOMs can add or edit the sourcing tab for an Item Record, is this intentional or and oversight. All other tabs (Item Details, BOM, Attachements only allow editing, adding ect to the working version of the record.

What is differnent is that when you edit or add to the sourcing tab, when you save you get a message that asked if you want to update the working version as well. any your only option is to save or cancel. See screenshot below.

I guess this gives you the same functionality in that you are editing the working version but it does update the currently released version without going through the change order revsioning steps.

Need to understand the purpose of this behavior (to be sure I did not miss something simple like the permission settings) and/or have is changed to be the same as all the other Tabs.

Thanks

BD

Sourcing Tab - Change to active version

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report