Fusion Manage Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Fusion Manage (formerly Fusion 360 Manage) Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Fusion Manage topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Issue...

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
spiazza78
339 Views, 2 Replies

Import Issue...

hello,

even if parent-child is not the preferred solution, it is unfortunatly the easiest one for us due to:

1. amount of data (need to have  (too) many splitted files

2. multisource of information

then, in one file we can have

PARENT                  CHILD

A000001                   A000002

and in antoher one:

PARENT                  CHILD

A000001                   A000003

at the end the BOM Shall be as:

A000001

|-------A000002

|-------A000003

but we discovered that if you import file 1 and then file 2 (knowing that the option "For existing BOM relationships" is set to "Update the workspace") we have the following result:

A000001

|-------A000003

if know this information is on the same file, it seems to work... it is strange behavior... on a small set of data we have tried hierarchy method, it works fine but it would be too much effort to transform our data set ..... (any 'magical' solution on that may be?)

best regards

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
dvirh
in reply to: spiazza78

Yes, this behavior is as designed. Since we don't have any way of Deleting a BOM relationship using an import, we make the assumption that every import is complete with respect to the content of the BOM. So you cannot use it to Add BOM relationships.

With respect to the Parent Child import, it certainly has its uses and should be used when appropriate. The reason it is not 'preferred' is because it is somewhat counter-intuitive and does not support importing Historical Revisions (lifecycle states).

Hagay Dvir
Engineering Manager
Fusion Manage
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 3
gary.belisle
in reply to: dvirh

Hagay,

What I find counter-intuitive is to have to rebuild all the information in a level BOM after I've already created all the Items in the workspace. A parent-child BOM import seems to make the most sense since it is a one to one parent-child relationship.

For example I have an assembly with 100 parts in it. That is 100 parent-child relationships. Now if I use that assembly in 50 other assemblies... In a parent-child import that is 150 rows of info (100 + 50). In a level bom that is 5050 rows of info (50 * (100 + 1))

Also, maybe off topic, but how do you build BOM relationships with Items in another workspace? That doesn't seem to be supported by the import tool.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
i7-4800MQ Dell Precision M6800, Win 7 Enterprise 64-bit, 16GB RAM
Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate 2015
Autodesk Vault Professional 2015
PLM 360

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report