Fusion Manage Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Fusion Manage (formerly Fusion 360 Manage) Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Fusion Manage topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Manually Email a Record

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
506 Views, 12 Replies

How to Manually Email a Record

I would like to create a button or a link on a record so that it emails the details of the record either as an HTML email or a PDF.  How can I accomplish that?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
broepke
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Martin,

You can create an "Advanced Print View" that can then be used with the email script function... take anything from the product record, formatted as you like and in turn send it to someone.

Advanced Print View

http://help.autodesk.com/view/PLM/ENU/?guid=GUID-5656EE8A-2DB3-476A-AF53-BCF14541EDC4

Email Script

http://help.autodesk.com/view/PLM/ENU/?guid=GUID-BBBBAB3B-FEAE-4EB7-8D1B-29E76EC6BC65  (go to email function)

Then you can use the new "on demand script" function which creates a button to fire that email function.

On Demand Script

These are set up as a behavior... 

http://help.autodesk.com/view/PLM/ENU/?guid=GUID-E1877EFA-6E07-4AB9-9A33-9B88593681E8

The ONLY challenge I see figuring out who to send it to.  There isn't a prompting function (like a popup box)

You would have to have the email as a field on the item...

Hope this helps.

Brian Roepke
Director, Analytics & Insights
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: broepke

Thanks Brian.  I was hoping there would be a way to execute a mailto and open an Outlook message window.  The script below requires that I either hardcode the receiver or select it from a field on the record.  The subject and message would also need to be hardcoded.

Is this the only option?

Message 4 of 13
gasevsm

define a txt field with computed formula of
<a target="_parent" href="mailto:xxx@xxx.xxx">Contact XXX</a>

That text needs to be wrapped in quotes. Experiment with the target='' part.

Can make the xxx@xxx.xxx address and the XXX names be dynamically populated from other fields sitting on item details.

Clicking on the link in item details would attempt to raise the default mail handler on your device - outlook; gmail, etc.

Hope this helps,
--
MG

Martin Gasevski | Fusion 360 Team Product Manager
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: gasevsm

Hi Martin,

I did what you said and got an error when saving the field: There was an error processing your request.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

Nevermind. I used single quotes around that line and it saved and it worked.
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

Is there any way to add Item Detail fields to that mailto?

Message 8 of 13
gasevsm

Yes, append multiple strings using | pipe symbol. Eg '<a [...] mailto:' | MY_EMAIL_ADDRESS | '">Contact' | MY_NAME | '</a>'

Message 9 of 13
broepke

MailTo supports "Body" as well - here is a quick reference:

http://www.labnol.org/internet/email/learn-mailto-syntax/6748/

not sure if you can inject HTML tags into that string and if the email would accept it... 

Brian Roepke
Director, Analytics & Insights
Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

Not working.  I get the same processing error.  It doesn't like the single quotes around the | FIELD |.

Message 11 of 13
jared.sund

Hello Martin, The Computed Field syntax is going to need to be precise, or you’ll see the error message as indicated in your previous post. Example: 'Click Here to Email' A couple things to notice here. Concatenation (adding strings together) is performed with double pipes (||), and the strings must be encompassed in single quotes: ‘This is a’ || ‘cat’ (output: This is a cat) If you want to include the value of a field on the item details page, simply call out the field ID For a record that has a number field with fieldID NUMBER, with the value of 12345 ‘Number = ‘ || NUMBER (output: Number = 12345) In the Original example above: 'Click Here to Email' The output looks like the attached image. Also note that from RFC2368, https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2368.txt, that these kinds of mail messages do not support rich formatting or large bodies of text. "The special hname "body" indicates that the associated hvalue is the body of the message. The "body" hname should contain the content for the first text/plain body part of the message. The mailto URL is primarily intended for generation of short text messages that are actually the content of automatic processing (such as "subscribe" messages for mailing lists), not general MIME bodies." Hope this is helpful.
Jared Sund
Sr. Product Line Manager, Product Lifecycle Management
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: jared.sund

Thanks Jared.  This was very helpful.  It wasn't until I viewed the source code behind the 'click here to email' URL that I was able to make it work.  It appears that this computed field can't access my request/record number which is also a computed field.  Any way around that?  Also, any way to add the record URL to the email?  I realize the mailto can only print text and the URL wouldn't be hyperlinked.

Lastly, what I'm trying to accomplish here is to allow for the manager of this process, or potentially an approver, to send an email to anyone they want that includes details about the record.  This would allow the manager to prompt that person or ask them questions about the request or items associated with the request.  The mailto is a simple way of doing that.  If you have other ideas, please let me know.

Message 13 of 13
gasevsm

Thanks @Jared for catching the double pipe as string concatenation (eg "foo" || "bar").

@Martin,

As you detemined, referencing computed fields from a computed field isn't going to work; these are dinamically generated/calculated fields.

You can use this format to define what goes out with the draft email:

<a href="mailto:userA@company.com, userB@company.com?subject=Some Subject&body=To learn about next generation cloud based product lifecycle management, please visit http://www.autodeskplm360.com/ site.">Send Email...</a>

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report