Fusion Manage Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Fusion Manage (formerly Fusion 360 Manage) Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Fusion Manage topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Floating Point Field Constantly Updated in Change Log

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
j.hendrickson
3131 Views, 2 Replies

Floating Point Field Constantly Updated in Change Log

Is it normal for fields of type Float to show a change to precision in the Change Log every time the item is updated, regardless of whether that field is changed or not?

For example, field "Target Profit Margin" is of type Float with precision 2.

The change log shows the following, with an entry for each time I edit Item Details then save, but without changing anything.

Date Time:11/20/2013 8:22:48 AM

Action: Edit Item

Description: Target Profit Margin: 1.380000000000  1.38

Date Time:11/20/2013 8:22:36 AM

Date Time:11/20/2013 8:12:21 AM

This is happening for all of the float fields in the workspace on the Item Details tab (that's the extent of my testing so far).

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
jpiggee
in reply to: j.hendrickson

Yes, this is normal behavior for a float field, yes.

The reason why has to do with how a SQL database (postgreSQL in our case) teats a float field.

SQL logic dictates a float field to be rounded to the precision of stated quantity then truncated and placed into the field as integer value, so every time the system thinks it is being edited it will always need to do this, regardless of whether it has been modified or not.

So, basically what you are seeing is the OCD of the SQL world in action, the field wasn’t changed but It must round up and truncate, then value and place it back into the field.

Joseph Piggee
Fusion 360 Administrator
TPI Composites
jpiggee@tpicomposites.com
Message 3 of 3
j.hendrickson
in reply to: jpiggee

Okay, thanks. I think I'll submit this to the Idea Desk that these entries be omitted from the change log. Even if I can't make the argument that this is not a 'change' (because I guess at some level it is), I could make the argument that the change log is incomplete because it doesn't show the change back to the un-truncated value. You can't logically change from A to B then from A to B again without having changed back from B to A first. If the system is going to clutter my change log unnecessarily then it might as well do it correctly.

Thanks for the explanation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report