Fusion Manage Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Fusion Manage (formerly Fusion 360 Manage) Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Fusion Manage topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different fields for different types of items in same workspace

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
danielg67
436 Views, 3 Replies

Different fields for different types of items in same workspace

Hello

Is there a way to show different fields in a workspace item depending on the item type?

I'd like to avoid creating different workspaces for assemblies, mechanical parts, electrical parts...Let's say each type/category has a different set of  properties/fields. 

I'd like something like Vault's item categories, where you choose for each user defined property in which item/file categories is avaliable.

thanks in advance

Daniel Garcia

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jpiggee
in reply to: danielg67

Daniel,

There has been much discussion about having the field input values change depending on other selections, i.e. linking field choices.

This wish has been submitted and we hope to see this function available in the near future.

Thank-you for your valued input on the functionality of PLM.

Joseph Piggee
Fusion 360 Administrator
TPI Composites
jpiggee@tpicomposites.com
Message 3 of 4
danielg67
in reply to: jpiggee

Thanks Joe

At this moment I don't really know what's better from the point of view of less setup work.

Obviously there's a need for different fields in different types of items if you don't want a very long form to input data and don't want users to enter/see information that has nothing to do to the current item (i.e. electrical properties in a mechanical component).

With the current functionality you can end up having a lot of workspaces for the same kind of "object" and you need to create an specific role for every workspace, which is repetitive (let's say the same kind of user could create items for different categories) and creates complexity to maintain the setup.

best regards

Daniel

Message 4 of 4
jpiggee
in reply to: danielg67

Daniel,

I agree, as I said earlier there was a lot of discussion over this, weighing the pros and cons of having the ability do this. I can also see it from both sides of the coin. I see this as a fantastic addition to the already powerful toolset but also something that could cause a lot of confusion to a user just starting with PLM.

The key is how to introduce this to a new user without overwhelming them with complex customization. 

Joseph Piggee
Fusion 360 Administrator
TPI Composites
jpiggee@tpicomposites.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report