Fusion Manage Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Fusion Manage (formerly Fusion 360 Manage) Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Fusion Manage topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure EBOMs into MBOMS (mainly regarding colors)

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
GavoGarmo
645 Views, 3 Replies

Configure EBOMs into MBOMS (mainly regarding colors)

Hi,

My company is looking to make big changes to our software. Currently everything we use was written in house, and has become outdated.

We're looking at introducing PLM (I'm aware this a huge subject) But I was wondering if any of you out there had used PLM to configure manufacturing BOMs from engineerings BOMs. (I'll explain)

We currently supply furniture assemblies in a large number of colours. We'd like to keep colour data out of our inventor models as we don't want to have model in the vault for every available colour. We'd like the inventor model to only contain size and meterial data, then have a (PLM?) package combine the inventor BOM with colour choices to produce BOMs of parts that include colour data. It seems like a simple enough process to be possible, but I'm struggling to find any direct references.

(Sorry if this is possibly the wrong forum)

Thanks

GavoGarmo

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jpiggee
in reply to: GavoGarmo

Gavin,

I haven’t really seen any activity on this question, so given that I’m not BOM expert let’s see if I can at least give you an Idea to start with. If this is way off the mark let me know where / how, and I’ll work on a better answer for you.

So if I have the right idea, the Idea is to Have a BOM of a given Item and then add color to the BOM on demand as it gets passed down the workflow?

You could do this as such

In the BOM workspace

Items tab:

Add Items and Colors, Build a BOM of the item in question

(Example: Chair requires part 1,2,3 with color option of Blue

BOM workspace would show 5 items.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Chair

Blue – Color)

It the Other workspace

Items tab:

Choose color option

BOM tab:

Chair

What happens?

System will auto add the full BOM for the Chair plus an additional item (via scripting) for the Color.

So this way the color is not with the BOM but associated with the complete item and will allow for you to switch on the fly.

Joseph Piggee
Fusion 360 Administrator
TPI Composites
jpiggee@tpicomposites.com
Message 3 of 4
dvirh
in reply to: GavoGarmo

Hi There. Thanks for this very interesting question!

I think the need is common for many companies, but the implementation could be differnet from company to company. If my response below does not completeley answer your question, please feel free to cotnact me directly so that we can discuss it at hagay.dvir@autodesk.com

When you have a situation like you describe in your note, it is common to have a different Part Number / SKU for each color that you deliver. I assume that in your case there are very specific rules regarding the colors such that if you deliver a certain piece of furniture in 'Blue' then all the components will have a very specific color (meaning that there is not much Optionality)

In these cases, I find it useful to have the followig data model:

1. Have an Item that specifies the Design. This item will either hold the CAD model as an attachment or point to the CAD model in your PDM system
  2. Have an Item in the Item Master for each Colored Component (meaning one item for each Color of each Component). All these items should point to the CAD Item using a regular Relationship or possibly a BOM Relationship
  3. Have an item in your Products WS (or in the Item Master) for each top-level SKU that you make, and use the appropriate items created in step #2 above

BTW, you will be creating multiple of the same structures but with different PN in Step 3. So you might find it useful to use the Import tool for the purpose.

Hagay Dvir
Engineering Manager
Fusion Manage
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 4 of 4
GavoGarmo
in reply to: dvirh

HIi Guys,

Thank you both for your responces. I've since spoken to a member of AutoDesk satff in Germany who has been able to answer my question in a fansstatic amount of detail. There won't be much point in me posting the details, the answer to my original question in definately "yes".

Thanks Again

GavoGarmo

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report