Fusion Manage Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Fusion Manage (formerly Fusion 360 Manage) Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Fusion Manage topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Attachment permissions and limitations

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
trevorhill
879 Views, 7 Replies

Adding Attachment permissions and limitations

Throughout training our users we came across them wanting to add attachments at any point throughout the specific workflow. Today we found out that users cannot attach a file unless they have permission to advance the current state. The users already have the role of adding attachments, but it appears they need more. Adding the permission "Admin Override Workflow Locks" ended up giving any user permission to add an attachment at anytime through the process. If we were to give our users this permission what else would they be able to do besides add attachments? Is there a better fix then just giving them this permission to specific workspaces?

Respectfully,

Trevor L. Hill

Behlen MFG

Trevor L. Hill
Behlen MFG
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
dvirh
in reply to: trevorhill

Hi Trevor,

PLM 360 has the concept of Implicit Workflow Locking. When a user does not have permission to perform any workflow transitions on an item, the item is considered Locked for that user. This affects most of the item tabs, including the Attachments tab, as well as selected Item Details sections (depending on whether the administrator chose to apply 'workflow locking' to the section). You are also correct that the only way around this restriction is to either provide the user with a transition he can perform, or give him the 'override workflow lock' permission. This latter option is not recommended since it will also allow the user to make changes to all the Item Details sections and all tabs (except for Revision Controlled items).

I think it will be interesting to also make the workflow locking on a tab (such as on Attachments) configurable. You may want to submit this as an idea to Idea Station if this can solve your issue. 

Hagay Dvir
Engineering Manager
Fusion Manage
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 8
trevorhill
in reply to: dvirh

Hagay,

Thank you for the feedback. Since we do not have any Detail Sections locked down, what other ramafications may we face if we give our users this permission?

Respectfully,

Trevor L. Hill
Behlen MFG
Message 4 of 8
dvirh

Trevor,

As mentioned above, the implications are only on certain data tabs and certain item details sections. If you don't use section locking in your item details page, then the only other implication is on any of the other tabs that you use. I'm not sure which tabs you are using, so the easiest way to test it will be to compare two users side by side, one with and one without the permission, using an item that is 'locked' for both, and seeing which tabs give you access and which to not. Just off the top of my head I believe the only tab that is not subject to workflow locking at the moment is the Sourcing tab.

Hagay Dvir
Engineering Manager
Fusion Manage
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 8

Dear All,

We exactly face the same issue during our user roles and permission mapping. We spoke to the Street Team and it looks like it is not possible to add the permission to add/edit attachments to a read only role to allow the user to add/edit attachments in the tab field in a workspace.

Trevor's initial request was posted around 2 years ago,I quickly scanned through the ideas center and could not find the respective idea. Has there been any progress and development taken place in the past two years on that request?

We basically do not want to provide the "Admin Override Workflow Locks" to users who only have read rights except for the attachments tab.

Would be great to hear back from you and see what has happen in the meantime.

best regards,

Tim

Message 6 of 8
ThomasRambach

Has any progress been made on this issue? How does everyone else handle this problem?

• User submits record. Fields are now locked. 
  • User needs to add a file attachment (like additional redline drawing)
  • User can't because record is locked

How do others have your tenant designed to handle this situation? We want to make it as easy as possible. We though about making an attachments workspace to handle this situation but I know our users are just going to be confused.

Submitting an idea station idea for this.

Message 7 of 8

“User submits a record. Fields are locked”
Well, yes, not just fields, but the whole item (details tab, grid, bom, managed items tab, attachments, … everything) is locked for him.

Most industry audit regimes are not impressed by people editing during a review state, including adding attachments.

What does it mean in a change board scenario, to votes cast just before someone updates the item under review? What exactly did those early voters approve?
In this case, this is what implicit workflow locking achieves… to the item details, grid, bom, including attachments tab.

If you are relaxed about users editing DURING a review state, then I would allow the original user to do the REJECT transition (but not approve). This allows him/her to:

• recall the item if they submitted it by mistake, or realised a later mistake, then they should reject it themselves, and re-submit.
  • AND it also allows them to edit (anything) during the review (because they have an available transition: Reject), including adding attachments.

You cannot have selected editability (eg to attachments, but not item details, bom, grid, etc) during a review state.

If that is what you are actually asking for, then it would be like a condition script returning an array of permissions that it allows access to (add attachments, delete attachments etc), rather than a Boolean as now.

I can see that being very complex.

The alternative could be to have your item with its workflow, and fields, and then another “bucket” item to hold the attachments in a parallel, linked, automatically created item.

Then you can control both differently, allowing eg attachments editability, while the main item’s fields are locked in review.

Automatically create a link on item details direct to the attachments tab of the bucket item, to speed navigation. That’s the best I can think of.

Message 8 of 8
ThomasRambach

@philipfrench  I think that's too black and white if the assumption is made we only use FLC for submit & review.

Any formal process has inputs that are provided along the path. A specific document may not be part of the initial process step but later on during the process it needs to be added. FLC is also used to automated manual processes that need multiple contributors along the way. I don't know how to solve this without creating multiple workspaces that feed into the master workspace. From my experience doing this, users don't like it and get confused if they are on the right screen no matter how well it's designed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report