Fusion Manage Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Fusion Manage (formerly Fusion 360 Manage) Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Fusion Manage topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Action Notifications Tab Doesn't Notify

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
j.hendrickson
495 Views, 5 Replies

Action Notifications Tab Doesn't Notify

I've decided it's time to get to the bottom of an issue we've been having.  We have never been able to actually get an email as a result of adding an entry to the Action Notifications tab.  It should be as simple as identifying a state or transition then choosing a user from the dropdown of Users, right?  When that state or transition is reached then an email shows up in that users email inbox.  This should be regardless of transition approval rights or whether any checkboxes are checked for a given transition or state, right?

My simplest test was in a workspace where I have full access and approval and I choose myself as the recipient.  I never get an email.  I do get emails through the normal workflow transition/approval process when the transition settings are correct.

What am I missing here?  Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe Hendrickson

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

So I did some further testing and my question has changed somewhat.  I was able to get the Actions Notification tab to work, but only if the "Notify owner by e-mail on occurrence" checkbox is checked on the transition that leads to the notification.  So let me try to understand what this obtuse little checkbox means.

If it is checked:

1. Anyone with approval to perform a subsequent transition where the checkbox "Notify users who have permission..." is checked will receive an email.

2. Anyone designated in the Actions Notification tab to receive a notice when that transition is done or the next state is reached will receive an email.

It does not mean:

3. That anyone (certainly not the "owner") will receive an email notifying them that this transition just happened... unless #1 or #2 are satisfied or an Action script is chosen for that transition that results in an email.

Understanding #3 does make me less fearful of the "Notify owner by e-mail on occurrence" checkbox which I previously thought meant emails would be going off like crazy, but since it means something entirely different I'm okay checking it and getting Actions Notifications to work.

So now my question is, is there a simple way to be notified that a transition has been completed or a state has been reached without having to use the Actions Notification tab or being approved for the next transition?  Obviously I haven't needed this functionality to this point but I think I will want it once I get more folks involved in the workflow process.

And that concludes my Friday afternoon ramblings.  Hopefully there's a question in there somewhere that someone would like to answer.  Thanks.

Joe Hendrickson

Message 3 of 6
gasevsm
in reply to: j.hendrickson

Yes this is possible via script eg. WF transition action script or onSave/onCreate event;
You could compose an email object in action script and send msg to specific audiences. You may use a precreated printview to define the format and use that as the email body. Currently you can call getPrintView function via script only once, we're working on extending this. Simply place all the recipients in comma-separated array and fire off a single email via the WF action script. Please see the scripting reference documentation for examples.

In regards to your comment that 'notify owner' in WF transition needs to be selected as a way for folks subscribed to that specific WF action notification to receive an email, this is behavior today. It is also something we're exploring to relax.

HTH,
--
Martin Gasevski | Product Manager | Autodesk PLM 360

Martin Gasevski | Fusion 360 Team Product Manager
Message 4 of 6
j.hendrickson
in reply to: gasevsm

Hi, I'm just wondering if something changed within the last week regarding email notifications following transitions?  It seems that all of a sudden I have begun to receive notifications when I am the record owner and someone else performs a transition where the "Notify owner by e-mail on occurrence" checkbox is checked, even if I do not have authorization to perform a subsequent transition.

Previous testing lead me to believe that "Notify owner by e-mail on occurrence" really meant "Send notification(s)" based on the "Notify users who have permission to perform it" and Action Notifications tab.  Am I going crazy?

Thanks.

Joe Hendrickson

Message 5 of 6
dvirh
in reply to: j.hendrickson

Hi Joe,

Yes, a recent patch release has fixed several previously 'known issues' with notifications. I apologize for the unannounced change in behavior but I think that you will find the new behavior very logical and straightforward (albeit very different from before). If the 'Notify Owner' is checked, the owner is always notified. And if 'notify users who have permission to perfor it' is checked, then such users will get notification regardless of whether 'notify owner' is checked or not. Similarly, Action Notifications will be sent as requested regardless of the 'Notify Owner' being checked or not.

I hope you find the new behavior a lot more useful.

Hagay Dvir
Engineering Manager
Fusion Manage
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 6 of 6
j.hendrickson
in reply to: dvirh

Hagay, thank you, that's great news.  I'll overlook the lack of announcement this time because those are welcomed changes.  Anything to make the system behave more logically is always appreciated in my book.  I'll begin tweaking my workflows to accordingly.

Thanks again!

Joe Hendrickson

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report