Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video to Pictures

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
azmand01
518 Views, 8 Replies

Video to Pictures

I was wondering if anyone tried the following with success.

Shot a HQ video

Use a software to split the frames into jpgs

And submit to Recap

I have tried without much success.

The thought came as we are thinking of using Drones for As - Built data or on-site progress and controlling the sequense of photos that would have to be taken seems rather manual.

Adding to question, has anyone used a Go-Pro camera this way.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
vidanom
in reply to: azmand01

Hi,

Here are few tips:

- Make sure you are using GoPro 3 Black & GoPro 3 Black plus, which are supported by ReCap 360

- Try to set up the camera on time lapse (5sec, or for smaller time flights 2sec) 

- If video has to be used, the EXIF data has to be copied back to the photos. Valuable info that gets overwritten while photo extracting.

- The EXIF (lens data) can be edited directly on the photo files manually, or before submitting the project on ReCap 360 (see photo)

Regards,

Mitko

EXIF data ReCap 360

Message 3 of 9
azmand01
in reply to: vidanom

Understood thanks.

So if I understand correctly the only information I need to include back on extracted frames to jpges is the cam lenses size, correct?

Any other information I need to include back?

Can the information be inserte directly into Recap360 or do I need to go pic by pic with some sort of editor to put it back?

Thanks

Message 4 of 9
vidanom

Yes, that info should be sufficient and can be added in ReCap 360.

However, for future captures we strongly recommend shooting in time lapse, taking photos instead of video for better results.

The photo images are much sharper and it always results with better results from ReCap.

Mitko

Message 5 of 9
azmand01
in reply to: vidanom

Thanks
Message 6 of 9
StefLabs

Hi,

I would also suggest to use photos over videos. Especially for low end cameras (gopro is one) you'll get some rolling shutter effect (In a same frame, not all pixels are captured at the same time ...) ... wich is kind of an enemy for photogrammetry :-). 

In addition you'll get much higher resolution with photographs ...

I personnally set the gopro to take photos every 2 or 5 sec. You can try to stay stationnary with the drone for few seconds at preferred positions; but I'll rather move the drone very slowly and contineously : thus, get good and sharp photos too.

Hope it helps,

Stephane

Message 7 of 9
azmand01
in reply to: StefLabs

Thanks..

Interesting comment when you mention Gopro as low end camera.

Everyone I have been talking to suggest Gopro is the one to go.

So should we go for a better/high end camera? Will it give better results than a GoPro?

Thanks

Message 8 of 9
StefLabs

Hi, 

I meant as a video camera, and vs DLSR cameras...

Light and small, its a good choice with quad copters.

Lens is very wide, thus easy to use for interior acquisitions, as one can reduce nb of captures.

I like and use gopros for 3d numerisations 🙂

Stephane

Message 9 of 9
azmand01
in reply to: StefLabs

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report