Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Textures are too big

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
TalonOne
1823 Views, 3 Replies

Textures are too big

Hi Guys,

Gasp!!! Textures too big?!?!?!  No, there are just TOO MANY.. I only want usually a little subject inside the ring of photos in the mesh but recap gives me 8 texture files.  THIS IS A HUGE PROBLEM (For me, Mr non 3d Uber geek).  If I want to send a model to Shapeways they want it in the darn DAE format so off I go to MeshMixer and clean up my mesh and export to DAE... Oh Wait! Shapeways has a 65 meg limit and the DAE format converts my lean .jpg textures to big fat PNG files... So krapow, the mesh is too big and I can't get it up there.

So sad.  Broken work flow.

I was hoping the bounding box and resubmit would just sort of take care of the 'too many texture' problem but nope.  I was hoping Memento's crop feature would sort of magically sort out the unwanted textures but nope too.

Add to this that you can't even export from MeshMixer a combination of meshes made by recap (They look great in meshmixer but there is a bug with exporting the mesh. The texture files get reused and overwrite during generation!)

So now I have a big broken workflow where my ultimate goal is to get files up on Shapeways to print.  

Any chance we could get a way to trim the textures down?  I was going to experiment with the smart cropping to see how that does but I never really trust any 'smart' thing when I can just put a box around what I want and be done with it.

Sorry for the negative tone.  I've been battling with 3D tools for days now and am super frustrated that nothing works 100%. 

Thanks!

Matt

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
vidanom
in reply to: TalonOne

Hi Matt,

Until we have the proper solution from ReCap 360 or Memento, here is one workaround that can solve this problem for the moment:

Open the texture files in Paint > Resize them to desired scale while keeping the aspect ratio

Save as JPEG or PNG.

If you happen to switch the file format, you can manually edit that in the .mtl file.

Open with notepad the .mtl file and instead of *.jpeg write *.png

Make sure the file names are the same, or change the proper name as well in the .mtl file.

Like that the right textures will load in the used 3D app.

Mitko

Message 3 of 4
TalonOne
in reply to: vidanom

Thanks!

I'll give it a shot.

Matt

Message 4 of 4
TalonOne
in reply to: TalonOne

Great advice! Thanks.  Got my textures just under the 65 meg Shapeways upload limit. It was close though.

Matt

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report