Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resubmitted multiple times...results still not good

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
benthej
365 Views, 6 Replies

Resubmitted multiple times...results still not good

Please look at the submitted photos for my Kaatrijn-PreColor project. It's a guitar. Nothing crazy...just a guitar. But the stich is a mess. After 4 resubmittals, the last is barely better than the first. I took photos sequentially from various angles to maximally capture the entire object. I must assume I have done something wrong...please help! Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
TatjanaDzambazova
in reply to: benthej

Hi Benthej,

you will need to share the A360 folder with the images with us in order to be able to advise (we dont have access to user folders and are not allowed to look at them unless shared with us). you can share it with recap360@autodesk.com

When the engine doesnt stitch its usually due to some aspects of the photos that didnt go well (eg. not enough overlap, bad lighting, strong shadows, object moving  etc).

You mentioned that its a guitar... Two issues come in mind:

- Gittares are usually shiny which IS a problem for photogrammetry. We have done succesful acquisitions of shiny objects, but for that one must do really difuse light and use polarisers (or sprays that elminates the shininess)

- many guitarres are mono chromatic, dont have enough 'features' on them. to make a succesful acquisition of flat/non feature rich objects best is to make the environement around it very busy with objects with colors etc.. of if you only care about th egeometry but not the texture/color - you can also put stickers in various shapes on teh guitar

If you havent, please look at the end of the Getting Started guide - it lists best practises for the photos.

If you share the folder with us, we can take a look at the photos and advise what could be done better when photographing for the object in question?

thanks

tanja

Message 3 of 7
benthej
in reply to: TatjanaDzambazova

Thank you, Tanja.

I have shared that folder as requested. Thanks for taking a look.

The object in question is a guitar in-progress that I am building. There is no finish on it yet, so it is not shiny. So I would imagine it might be one of the other reasons you mentioned. But perhaps, after reviewing the base images, you could offer me some guidance? Thanks.

jvb

P.s. this is somewhat experimental for my work here at Autodesk. I want to experience what our customers might expect when using this service. Thanks.

Jon V. Van Benthem, AIA, LEED AP+
Technical Account Manager
Architecture | Engineering | Construction

MOBILE +1 303 507 7957

Autodesk, Inc.
Denver, CO

www.autodesk.com

[Description: Description: Description: Description: Email_Signature_Logobar]
Message 4 of 7
benthej

Hello. After sharing the photo files as requested, I have yet to hear back from the ReCap team -- the folder was shared over a week ago. Please review the shared photos and comment as to the issues with meshing. Thanks.
Message 5 of 7
recap360

Hi Jon,

Have you shared your data to recap360@autodesk.com or with Tatjana directly ?

I didn't found anything close to your description in "recap360" account ...

Can you share again ?

Thanks,

Stephane

Message 6 of 7
StefLabs
in reply to: recap360

I now saw your project and images : its a thin wood guitar

The neck will be difficult to capture well, but the body should work.

Simple improvements that you can do is :

- take more photos : less angle between photos

- add another row from a higher posistion : 3 rows of ~20 images 

- try to use a place with more uniform lights (the light enters from one direction only)

- keep most of possible the same focal along your project (this case does not need to change) as it is more constrained

- You shoulduse the SmartCrop option, that will prevent meshing the surrounding environment and focus on the object in the center.

What is already good:

- Good idea of hanging the guitar 🙂 to allow full acquisition

- The framing of the guitar in the picture is good; in general its better to keep the entire object in the picture if its possible.

==> I would add a third acquisition row: one from a higher position

- Few pictures are taken from aside, with very thin view of the guitar

==> try to keep some perspective ; not completely ortho to one side or another 

Hope it helps,

Stephane

Message 7 of 7
benthej
in reply to: StefLabs

That does - thank you.

I will do as you suggest with my next round of submitted photos.

jvb

Jon V. Van Benthem, AIA, LEED AP+
Technical Account Manager
Architecture | Engineering | Construction

MOBILE +1 303 507 7957

Autodesk, Inc.
Denver, CO

www.autodesk.com

[Description: Description: Description: Description: Email_Signature_Logobar]

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report