Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exported Model to OBJ won't Open

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
TalonOne
2159 Views, 5 Replies

Exported Model to OBJ won't Open

Hi Recap Devs,

I am trying to use Memento to export a Recap model to an OBJ so I can fix it up with mesh mixer but for some reason the textures aren't importing in.  If I try to use Meshlab it complains that the material file has an issue.  I have never had a problem exporting from Memento before.  Has anything changed recently with how models are saved in Recap?

Thanks,

Matt

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
TalonOne
in reply to: TalonOne

Yeah, seems if I set registration points and resubmit the project the .RCM file has a problem. If I open it in Memento and go to export it then it's 'corrupt' somehow and won't open in meshlab. I resubmitted my project and asked for a .OBJ file to be made and that .OBJ file opens fine thank goodness.

But it looks like there is a bug there guys.

Thanks,
Matt
Message 3 of 6
Pierdi

Hi Matt,

From what I understand the exported files from Recap looks OK (RCM and/or OBJ).

The problem appears when you try to export an OBJ from Memento, this new OBJ seems to be corrupted when you open it in another software like Meshmixer or Meshlab, right ?

Don't know what version you are using but perhaps there is a limitation due to texture size.

If your JPG textures are generated in 8K, can you try to reduce them by 2 or 4 (test with 4096 or 2048) and see if they are displayed in Meshlab ?

Are you open the OBJ file from a network path ? If so, that would impact on the fact he can't find the *.mtl texture library.
If not, just forget that hypothesis 😉

Regards,

Pierre

Message 4 of 6
TalonOne
in reply to: Pierdi

Thanks for the reply.
I made it public if you want to have a look.
http://a360.co/XA21G9

It opens fine in Memento and looks OK. The textures aren't 8K, I don't think. (I'm still a bit of a noob).

I just submitted the project and asked for an OBJ and that was fine but this here was the first time Memento failed to actually make a 'good' OBJ file and I suspect it has something to do with this RCM file. Hope this is helpful.
Thanks,
Matt
Message 5 of 6
Pierdi

Hi,

OK the problem comes from the fact you have some spaces in the name of your scene.

If you resubmit your scene with a name like "copy_of_MomNME1" it would works fine everytime.

If you prefer to keep that scene, here is the workaround to see it in another 3D software:

1) Change the Copy of MomNMe1 scene name by MomNMe1 for example.

2) Now change the extension name of MomNMe1.obj to see MomNMe1.txt

2) Open MomNMe1.txt with a text editor

3) Change the name of the mtllib name and put "MomNMe1.mtl" (see attached screenshot below)

4) Save MomNMe1.txt then rename it MomNMe1.obj

5) Change the file name "Copy of MomNMe1.mtl" by "MomNMe1.mtl"

6) Open it Meshlab 🙂

Rename.jpg

Hope it helps,

Pierre

Message 6 of 6
TalonOne
in reply to: Pierdi

Awesome help! THANKS!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report